toldailytopic: Is Islam a peaceful religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 8th, 2011 10:33 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Squishes

The teachings of Islam inspire and justify acts of violence within a population of poor and mistreated people.

Samstarrett

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

No.

El DLo

Islam is inherently peaceful, and if you talk to the vast majority of Muslims you would find them to be very respectful and peaceful people. The minority of extremists is what gives it a bad name, but those people take the intent of the Qu'Ran out of context, just like the Westboro Baptist Church uses the Bible out of context to motivate hate.

bybee

Absolutely not! Read the history of how Islam was spread by violence and murder. Read the Koran, it justifies violence, murder and deception. The Prophet most assuredly does not advocate turning the other cheek nor does he treat all person's as equals.
Strapping bombs on people and sending them to their death as they slaughter innocent civilians has become a way of war in Islam.
No doubt, many Muslims deplore this behavior but their voices are not heard enough to make a difference.

Quincy

I haven't read the Qu'ran so I can't honestly say what I think is inherent to the text. I know there are passages in the text that can be used by extremist to spread hate, but you can say the same for many religions. The Muslims I have known personally were good people, but perhaps they are westernized and not fundamentalist.

Either way I approach it, I just seem to come to the conclusion that like most religions, it's best to avoid it. I don't think a peaceful Muslim should have their right to that religious opinion took away, but me personally, I don't trust it anymore than I do most other religions.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
It can be argued that true, fundamental, Koranic Islam is not a religion of peace.

http://www.amazon.com/Islam-Terrorism-Mark-Gabriel/dp/0884198847 (see Jesus vs Muhammad book as a base)

This guy taught at their top university in the world. He knows Arabic, the Koran, Islam.

The Muslims who are peaceful are more Westernized, moderate, not fully true to the Koran/Muhammad.

A violent Muslim is being consistent with Islam, but the killings done in the name of Christianity are not consistent with the teachings of Jesus/Christianity (big difference).

Islam is not a religion of peace like Christianity is, but this does not mean that many or most modern Muslims are not peaceful, peace-loving people (so the arguments against them are not valid; they are victims of Islam and compromising its true roots, living a reformed version that is closer to Christianity than Islam).

GoingGoldenWCU

Yes - Just like Christianity, Islam has its share of extremists who are violent or abusive to others and reflect negatively on their religion. The Qur'an has violence in it, so does the Bible. Those extremists are in the minority.

MrRadish

In my experience, no religion is inherently peaceful or violent; in almost all cases I've seen religion has only served to justify (and in some cases magnify) the existing inclinations of cultures or individual adherents.

There are plenty of passages in the Qur'an which are very peaceable - I once read out a passage (part of the call to prayer in fact) during a church concert which said "to me my religion, and to yours", and by all accounts was very tolerant and accepting of the faiths of others. On the other hand there are also the unpleasant, violent bits bandied about by extremists on both sides, just as there are violent and repressive passages in the Tenakh, the Christian Bible, and in the sacred texts of almost all other faiths too.

genuineoriginal

Most humans have no desire for war, and this is the reason that most Muslims are respectful and peaceful people.

Most of the people in any religion are not true to the teachings of their religion, and this is the reason that most Muslims are not fully true to the teachings of Islam.

Islam teaches that Muslims are to convert the entire world by the sword (warfare).

The current estimate on the number of Muslims in the world is over 1.57 billion (Pew Forums).
If only 1% of the world's Muslims are true to the teachings of their religion, then there are 1.57 million Muslims that want to use warfare convert the world.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The Bible cannot be used to justify terrorism, but the Koran can be used this way (faithful to original intent).

It should also be remembered that there is a Koranic principle that the later revelations trump the earlier ones. When Muhammad was starting out and things were OK between him and Jews/Christians, there is a peaceful tone. When he moved to another city and had issues with Judeo-Christianity, his new revelation allowed them to be taxed, converted, or killed. This later stuff is what Islam is now under and it is not peaceful like the early days. Without knowing this, one can quote the early stuff and assume it shows a peaceful religion, but the reality is that the new as replaced the old leaving us with centuries of violent Islam and a small period of peaceful in the early days.

The fact that most Muslims are not living consistent with Muhammad or the Koran should not be a defense for a supposedly peaceful religion. Christians have always been mandated to peace, consistent with their founder and holy book (opposite to Islam who are now living inconsistent with founder/book, except the radical terrorists who are probably going to far even by Koranic standards; Christians who kill in the name of Christianity are likely not true evangelical Christians and are living contrary to their faith, not consistent with it).

If they were truly peaceful, there would be much more outcry from Muslims around the world against terrorism. The reality is that few condemn it and continue to say U.S., Israel/Jew, Christian is the evil enemy. Christians rightfully condemn any supposed Christian who kills, uses terrorism, kills abortionists, etc.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Godrulz, bybee and the Dude said it well.

One only has to ask the question of Christianity and Islam:
What did their founders advocate?
One advocated an invitation through propositional communication....the other, the demand of submission by the sword.

Four O'Clock

Don't mean to hijack the topic but here's a question.
How would you deal with or approach an Islamic family that moved in next door to you?
My wife & I had to endure less than ideal neighbors for many years and in the fall of 2009 a Hindu family from India moved in. I know, an apples and oranges comparison there but they've been great neighbors.
I'm not sure how I would approach an Islamic household. Any thoughts?

Gurucam

Islam is inherently peaceful, and if you talk to the vast majority of Muslims you would find them to be very respectful and peaceful people. The minority of extremists is what gives it a bad name, but those people take the intent of the Qu'Ran out of context, just like the Westboro Baptist Church uses the Bible out of context to motivate hate.

Seems that many among the vast majority of of seemingly peaceful Muslims hold in high esteem the practice of chopping off the hand of a thief.

Isn't chopping off the hand of a thief a law in Islam? Is this not a violent approach to dealing with a social problem?

some other dude

Don't mean to hijack the topic but here's a question.
How would you deal with or approach an Islamic family that moved in next door to you?
My wife & I had to endure less than ideal neighbors for many years and in the fall of 2009 a Hindu family from India moved in. I know, an apples and oranges comparison there but they've been great neighbors.
I'm not sure how I would approach an Islamic household. Any thoughts?

armed-squirrel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.