toldailytopic: If you awarded the Oscars who would you have selected for the top spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 28th, 2011 01:19 PM

toldailytopic: If you awarded the Oscars who would you have selected for the top spots?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you awarded the Oscars who would you have selected for the top spots?

:think:

Best Picture: The King's Speech

Proof that great pictures don't have to cost a fortune to make one and that playing to the least common denominator isn't necessarily an unfortunately true recipe for success.

Hon. Men.: True Grit. A darker, more subtle and interesting remake of a classic.

Best Director: Joel and Ethan Coen

Squeaking past the actual winner, to my mind, with a remarkable bit of lyrical film making.

Best Actor: Colin Firth

Tremendous job, but narrowly edged out an impressive turn by Bridges.

Best Actress: Portman

The best in a dazzling company.

Best Supporting Actor: Geoffrey Rush

A three way race between Rush, Bale, and Renner, but I think Speech hinged on an understated, brilliantly turned performance that should have taken home the Oscar. Perhaps his commercial pirating hurt the chance of that happening...

Best Supporting Actress: Hailee Steinfeld

And for the same reasons I liked Rush over his company.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
I would have picked either Jesus, me, Michael Jackson, Tom Hanks, that batman guy (who did actually win something at the Oscars 2011), the Rock possibly, or even Ashton Kutcher, or me, or Jesus, or Will Smith, or Adam Sandler, or Jim Carey, or Robin Williams.

ghost

Hall of Fame
I would have picked either Jesus, me, Michael Jackson, Tom Hanks, that batman guy (who did actually win something at the Oscars 2011), the Rock possibly, or even Ashton Kutcher, or me, or Jesus, or Will Smith, or Adam Sandler, or Jim Carey, or Robin Williams.
Are you the same guy who starred in "A Christmas Story"? You look just like him.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't watch the Oscars but if I were picking.... I would have given True Grit every award it was up for.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't watch the Oscars but if I were picking.... I would have given True Grit every award it was up for.

Haven't seen it yet but I really want to. NW saw it and said it was great.

Dena

The only movies I had seen were Alice in Wonderland, The Kids are All Right and Inception so I don't know. I've been waiting for Black Swan since months before it came out but the husband doesn't want to see it. Natalie Portman and Christian Bale are two of my favorites so I'm sure they would be two of my picks.

I really like documentaries too but I haven't watched any of the most recent.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My second favorite of the year, though if you haven't seen The King's Speech you need to. Both impressive efforts. :thumb:

Four O'Clock

I think they got them about right.
I loved the King's Speech.
I liked Firth's acceptance speech line: "I have this strange feeling that my career has just peaked." :crackup:
Rush could have won. He's just so darned good with his effortless underplay that every role seems to be just as good or better than his last one. Of course Bale is the new wacked-out Method kid-on-the-block but he is talented and I've read and heard that his crack head boxing trainer was a great performance.
I didn't see any of the supporting actresses (save Bohnam-Carter) tho Melissa Leo has always impressed me in the few things I've seen her in. (I have to throw a raspberry at Leo tho; her F-bomb, carrying Kirk's cane off with her, and her shameless pre-Oscar ego-promotion blitz was stupid and uncalled for. Now I find myself not particularly caring for her at all-of course there's a ton of wacko actors out there so I guess we must try to distance ourselves from their personal stupidity and enjoy their work but that's not always been easy for me to do)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.