toldailytopic: Which book in the Bible speaks to you the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:rolleyes:

"...n the Gospels we have only the half-story. We need the Book of Revelation because it is the consummation of it. Of course, it can be understood only if the Spirit of God is our teacher. But the Book of Revelation takes off the veil so we can see Christ in His unveiled beauty and power and glory. This book is the opposite of a secret or a mystery. It is a disclosure of secrets, and it is called prophecy in the next verse, as we shall see.

When a so-called Christian says that he does not understand the Book of Revelation, it makes me wonder, because this book was given to us in order that we might understand these mysteries of the kingdom of God.

“To show” means by word pictures, by symbols, by direct and indirect representations.

“And he sent and signified it.” That is, he used symbols. And keep in mind that the symbols are symbolic of reality. Peter gave us a great rule for the interpretation of prophecy in 2 Peter 1:20: “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” You don’t interpret a single text by itself; you interpret it in the light of the entire Word of God. Ottman said, “The figurative language of Revelation is figurative of facts.”"
McGee, J. Vernon: Thru the Bible Commentary. electronic ed. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1997, c1981, S. 5:887-888

Did you say something? :plain:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The hub or a hub? We'll all care about Ga 5:9 more one day (Re 21:4).

Well okay, 'a' hub, like the center of a wheel from which the spokes branch off to the rest of the thing.

We'll all know more better by and by, Saint SerpentDove. :e4e:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Romans directly speaks to the body of Christ therefore that is the book that speaks most directly to me in my opinion.

I like this:

25 I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, 26 and in this way[e] all Israel will be saved.

Romans 14
1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.
13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil.

Romans 15
1 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. 2 Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.

Some of this is misunderstood. I know the version is not the best; however, I am not going to write it all out of my Bible.

The point is clear, not to cause one to stumble when offending another, even if it is not offensive to God. The idea of eating is more a metaphor for what one might ingest, while another is not ready to go as far into the meaning. Paul is taking a position, make allowances for the weak in faith so that by good example, one may grow stronger, rather than to turn away. Some think it is about eating only.

keypurr

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 21st, 2011 11:53 AM

toldailytopic: Which book in the Bible speaks to you the most?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

For me it is Daniel. Without his book I would be an agnostic. It is his book that crossed my line of reason to accept the God of the OT.

Peace

This Charming Manc

Mark

Mark

At the moment im getting more from Mark than anywhere else.

Howvere I have a love for ther hub of ephesian books, which I find very relevant for today as its they were written in a place where the Gospels intersected with a multi faith, multiculutal, commercial, urban and cosmopolitan world.

so

John
Ephesians
1 timothy
2 timothy
1 john
2 john
3 john
Revalation

This Charming Manc

I cant agree the teaching of jesus has to be the hub. Romans is a great book, but jesus is the authior and perfector of our faith.

Is christ and his teaching isnt central I believe things start to get off kilter.

I agree with Knight and Ghost.....Romans is the hub.

Concerning the Revelation of Christ thru John, one can only understand it in light of the whole of scripture, especially GOD's plans for Israel as distinct from the Church.

bybee

OT -- Genesis
NT -- Luke or John

I love "The Acts of the Apostles". I return to it time and time again.
It is a true expression of "The Faith of Our Fathers"!
It was a profoundly earth shaking time in history. They persevered. They had faith. The grace of God was upon them and dwelt within them. They shared the Good News.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is rather hard for me to lock on to a particular book of the Bible, because each is appropriate for a given time. The New testament speaks to me more than the Old, Because it speaks of Jesus, the one who made Salvation available to all.

Tico

I think Tico forgot to put the :sarcasm: smiley in...

Dull?? GASP! What about Leviticus 14:54-57?? Thats riveting stuff... good grief!! :chuckle:

Leviticus 12:3 is the clincher. Jesus taught others the whole law and that they would teach others the whole law including this commandment. Mat. 5:17-20, Mat. 23:23, Mat. 28:18-20.

SovereigntyIsGods

It is rather hard for me to lock on to a particular book of the Bible, because each is appropriate for a given time. The New testament speaks to me more than the Old, Because it speaks of Jesus, the one who made Salvation available to all.

You mustn't overlook Christ in the Old Testament.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Are you a legalist?] :chuckle: Not hardly.....in fact I don't think it's possible to have a true appreciation for the two books if one is a leagalist.
Oh good. :thumb: Job thought he was a pretty good guy (J. Vernon McGee, Job Thru the Bible) and Jonah "...angrily told the Lord he had fled to Tarshish to avoid [the] scenario of penitence and forgiveness (Stanley, In Touch, June 2008, pg. 33)." You wouldn't be like those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.