Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: Are public school teachers paid well enough?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toldailytopic: Are public school teachers paid well enough?

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 16th, 2011 09:50 AM

toldailytopic: Are public school teachers paid well enough?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Yes and no

There are many examples of teachers who are not effective, who are merely going through the motions, who don't care about the students, who don't know how to reach students, who don't like working with kids. Those teachers, especially those teachers who have been in the system long enough to be making salaries in the 70K and 80K and higher range - those teachers are obviously overpaid.

And then there's the young teachers who have put themselves through six years of higher education, who struggle daily to provide lessons that are interesting and captivating, who are learning their craft and love working with kids - those teachers, especially those new to the profession and making in the mid 30K to low 40K range - those teachers are obviously underpaid.

Comment

There are examples of teachers who were pressured into taking the career path, especially artistically/musically inclined individuals who were told that teaching is the only "real" job available to them.
      These are not paid enough, because they hate their job.

There are also teachers who love educating, love being part of directing future generations in the right path.
      These are not paid enough, because they love their job.

The job itself is VITAL to the proper development of children and teens in this country, and the fact that a supermodel can "earn" an amount of money in an hour that most teachers will never see in their entire lifetimes shows how screwed up our priorities are.

The school system has become so bogged down in "standardized" tests (which are not standardized at all because they refuse to acknowledge different learning forms, different communication forms, etc.) that individual teachers are HAMPERED by their state and federal governments from actually being allowed to teach SUBJECTS.
      Instead they are forced to teach TESTS, within a preconcieved allotted amount of time, to the point that individual instruction and attention is not even considered.

So, to answer the question:
      No. They occupy a position of unique importance to the survival of society, and rather than give them the pay earned by that position, we have reduced them to lowly slaves of the state.
      “In many ways the evidence of our faith is found in our ability to control our tongue (or our keyboard)."
      -Adam Hamilton

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

No, not compared to their educated counterparts.

Should we give them more money?

No. The BoE (boards of education) redistributes funds so that teachers will ever see very little of those increased funds. What the boards do is quit paying teachers (defer the salaries and use those already recieved monies elsewhere) and let taxpayers do it in the newly voted tax allocation. Teachers will never be paid enough but this is a time-honored tradition and it seems there is little that can or will be done about it.
        My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
        Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
        Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
        Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
        No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
        Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Comment

I will have to also say Yes and No. Some very excellent teachers that care about the students are underpaid. The funds that are supposed to go to the salary get funneled into the things that don't help the students get further in life. Supplies for making tribal masks anyone? What does that have to do with developing a career and supporting a family?

Here is some of the other stupid programs and classes I have seen while my son was in public school in Nebraska:
          Condom distribution--why not teach the students self control?
          Gay days
          Sex Education--very pro promiscuity--
          Womens history - what happened to plain old US history or World history?
          Gay studies
          Multicultural day.
          Environmental Science class--what happened to Chemistry, Math, Algebra and Biology?
          There was no English or language arts class to speak of in my son's curriculum.

The schools are sucking the taxpayers dry, not paying the teachers enough and they are teaching garbage. The teachers the do care have their hands tied.
          Last edited by Sherman; February 16th, 2011, 09:49 AM.

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? ☞ More like tolerate perversity.☠

Comment

Morgan Freeman on Black History Month

Comment

Considering people should not be forced to pay for somebody else's education, especially a grossly perverted and intentionaly misinformed one, they are over paid.
              Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

Comment

The diamonds in the rough will always go underpaid and underappreciated. Then you have the lifers in it for a paycheck and free from any serious threat of dismissal who deserve a swift boot to the butt. It's definitely a yes and no question.

Comment

Originally posted by Inzl Kett View Post
                  Condom distribution--why not teach the students self control?
                  Because it doesn't seem to work.

Womens history - what happened to plain old US history or World history?
                  Women tend to be left out of history books. Are you claiming women's history was all he was taught? I'm sure he did the regular US and World History too.

Multicultural day.
                  What does this include? Learning and celebrating a variety of peoples and cultures? The HORROR!!

Environmental Science class--what happened to Chemistry, Math, Algebra and Biology?
                  There isn't any reason the students can do all of those.

There was no English or language arts class to speak of in my son's curriculum.
                  ?

At all?

The schools are sucking the taxpayers dry, not paying the teachers enough and they are teaching garbage. The teachers the do care have their hands tied.
                  Well, I am with you here. I'm not a huge fan of most of the public school system. It's inefficient.

Comment

New teachers are paid little in many places. Many states do not value public education. That being said, many teachers who have been there a long time probably make plenty.

Personally, I don't think we need to adjust the upper end (in most cases), but the lower end needs some work.
                    "Haven't seen the back of us yet..."

Comment

A teacher once told me that she believed she was very well paid for only having to work 9 months out of the year

But I agree regarding the bottom-end

Comment

Originally posted by some other dude View Post
                        Morgan Freeman is awesome!!!! And right.

On topic, I think school teachers in general are underpaid. A school teacher who takes his trade seriously works roughly 60 hours a week, when one includes prep time, grading, and the actual teaching of the lesson(s). Additionally, anyone who claims that school teachers only work about 9-10 months a year has probably never been a teacher and doesn't understand how to prepare to teach on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by zippy2006 View Post
                          A teacher once told me that she believed she was very well paid for only having to work 9 months out of the year

But I agree regarding the bottom-end
                          They are not paid for the time they don't work. They can chose to take their money during the school year (as is is earned) or have it spread out. Same thing for aids (though they have a low hourly wage).

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Jack View Post
                            On topic, I think school teachers in general are underpaid. A school teacher who takes his trade seriously works roughly 60 hours a week, when one includes prep time, grading, and the actual teaching of the lesson(s). Additionally, anyone who claims that school teachers only work about 9-10 months a year has probably never been a teacher and doesn't understand how to prepare to teach on a daily basis.
                            Yes, it could be as much. However, I would think that a person could do it (generally speaking) in about 50 hours a week if they were pretty no-nonsense. 40 hours a week is a joke. Good teaching is very time consuming.

Comment

I agree with Buzz about needing to value teachers more. They are so important but education doesn't always get the funding it deserves. So I'll say no to the topic, in general.

Comment

Working...
                              X