toldailytopic: In the last 200 years (or so) how has society advanced? In what ways h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wessex Man

I agree.

The quality of life due to technology has obviously progressed.:

I'm not so sure, there are obviously areas like healthcare where the betterment is obvious but I think that in many cases the way technology has been developed, which I see like Lewis Mumford and his ilk as something not usually completely necessary and instead influenced greatly by society and our ideas on technology, has had many negative effects often to the point of outweighing the positive.

Take the motor car: it allows easier movement but the fact it has become a necessity, that we usually need it to go to work, to visit relatives, to shop and to travel, in many ways cancels out many of its benefits. That is just one example against many.

It is not that I'm anti-technology, though I'm certainly no wide-eyed technocrat, but just want a technology that is more in tune with social health and human requirements. I believe in appropriate technology in the sense used by the likes of E.F Schumacher. Certainly we should take advantage of technological advances but technology should be changed slower, it should be more decentralised and power diffusing supporting the small-scale associations(like family and local community.) that make up a healthy society and not breaking them down and it should be developed more in tune to social health, stability and requirement.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This is a bit loose and seat of the pants, but I think technology has contributed to a general moral decline, even as the overall picture of right and freedom has advanced. From a great distance we appear more free and greater respecters of right and liberty than ever before in the history of man, our lives a comparative picture of ease when judged by times not long past. But closer up, at what cost?

I am no longer certain that men will ever use ease to reflect and better their individual state, that the rule is one of decline and moral abdication instead. At this nation's founding men struggled mightily to set their table and meet the obligations of body and faith. Whatever the failings of the age the aim was for the good and the evidence of that is found in the steady progression of that good until women and men of all color were as free in fact as they were in conscience. But remove that struggle and I believe you take something essential from a man that impacts every other aspect of him. Give him ease without a sense of great responsibility and he becomes indolent in body and spirit. Give him the means and power of technology without that greatness of spirit and you invite an entropy that ravishes the heart of the body American...

Those great technological tools that could and should be utilized for our individual and larger good become, more and more frequently, instruments of intellectual and moral decline and corruption....I don't think it is an accident that we find, in the midst of the greatest advancement of technology the proliferation of abominable acts to an extent unprecedented, despite the Radishy one's assurance that the distinction is simply one of knowledge, that the world has always been much like it is now but that we simply knew less of it. I think our experience tells us otherwise...that we understand the neighborhoods of our youth are more hostile, that the world about us is less stable and that men are more lost and confused than was the case within our living memory.

I look at the fragmented family life of our nation, the celebration of foolishness as greatness, the elevation of entertainers to the ranks of genius and the conflation of goods with good and I say there is more than that, than a simple expansion of information at work.

While I believe in the care and provision for those who through no fault of their own have fallen on difficulty from which they cannot rise unaided, I also believe it is integral to the needs of the human spirit that we do not usurp the notion of every man's responsibility for his own provision and the importance of that role in the life of our nation's character. The misguided construction of many social programs in this country has undermined exactly that understanding of individual worth, accountability and respect and we must address it, both with compassion in the moment and an eye toward the future or in our unconsidered charity we will further our own undoing.

But back to the question of technology itself...we cannot put that genie back in its bottle, nor should we desire to given the range of accomplished good and the potential for more under diligent stewardship, but we must, must find a surer footing for man in its shadow, must while celebrating the idea of individual liberty and right, raise and recognize that the greatness of those ideas in exercise rests upon the shoulders of men who carry the responsibilities of the nation on theirs with a sober and vigilant eye. We must reinvest that sense of purpose and common respect, need, and acknowledgement of every man's role or we will with dread certainty fall into the dustbin of cautionary tales and tragic failures. We must begin the serious distinction between the tool we use and the one that uses us.

DocJohnson

I agree with both Wessex and TH.

I should qualify what I meant by "quality of life"... I mean that we now have the ability to extend life and fix, heal, or even cover up problems that would have been fatal just a few decades ago.

Those same technological advances, however, have also made us lazy and apathetic. :mmph:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What planet/country are you from?
200 Years ago we had slavery and women could not vote. Northern and Southern Baptists split over the issue of slavery. The Southern Baptists thought the Bible sanctioned slavery. Napoleon was running amok (the French revolution soon to follow).

I don't see what is "good" about the good old days in terms of morality. People were still committing adultery and all sorts of other sexual sins, it simply wasn't well known. But slavery in the U. S. was legalized sanctioned brutality at all levels. I'll take dirty music and the supposed ills of modern society over legalized raping and killing any day.
About 40 million children per year are murdered by their own mother. That fact alone makes many other horrendous sins pale in comparison.

Alate_One

About 40 million children per year are murdered by their own mother. That fact alone makes many other horrendous sins pale in comparison.

I agree that abortion is a horrible thing, however, historically people have always had abortions. There are numerous ancient guides to the process, as well as drugs that were available in the 1800s. Oh and abortion was not illegal in the 1800s so long as it was performed before "the quickening".

The numbers of abortions now are large because the human population is large and people are not losing their children to disease left and right. Guess what else, whether its legal or illegal abortion rates appear to be the same. Giving people viable options other than abortion is what's important.

I still feel the legalized enslavement and disenfranchisement of people based on their skin color is a huge moral failing. Literally millions of people in the U.S. were enslaved and many were tortured for nearly 150 years. There's no excuse for this because there's nothing "hidden" about slavery as there is in early pregnancy termination.

Arthur Brain

I think the biggest differences are:

Technologically, we have advance in tremendous ways.
Morally, we have regressed in horrendous ways.

Technologically I agree for the most part, although even those advances can be used for ill such as the atomic bomb...

Morally the same applies. We no longer have a society that finds it acceptable to treat women and those of different race as second class citizens. (At least for the most part)

Arthur Brain

1Tim 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

It's actually the root of all kinds of evil. When you think about it it makes no sense that it's the root of all sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.