Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: The significance and role of the father within the family unit.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The father

Originally posted by Knight View Post
    toldailytopic: The significance and role of the father within the family unit. #dailytopic

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
    If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
    I don't think we realize how important the father is in the family. In childhood I thought of my father as our protector. He kept us safe from harm. The father sets the standards for behavior within the family. Children need their father's approval as much as they need his love. peace, bybee

Comment

If you want to see how important fathers are to the family unit, look at cultures where the father is absent.

Comment

For me it's always been far too easy to suspect the father's role should be as was portrayed to me by my own father. The father's role is an ideal that not many can live up to without first having the proper model to learn from.
        Where is the evidence for a global flood?
        E≈mc2
        "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
        -Bob B.

Comment

Originally posted by bybee View Post
          I don't think we realize how important the father is in the family. In childhood I thought of my father as our protector. He kept us safe from harm. The father sets the standards for behavior within the family. Children need their father's approval as much as they need his love. peace, bybee

My father died at a young age, he was 44, I was 13, then from that point on my example of guardian, guide and stay was gone. So at that time seeing the purpose and role of a father was quite diminished.

Originally posted by Stripe View Post
          For me it's always been far too easy to suspect the father's role should be as was portrayed to me by my own father. The father's role is an ideal that not many can live up to without first having the proper model to learn from.

To live to my father's role, of what I can remember, would have been difficult. He was a just and a fair man; one thing that I grasped was — Keep your word.

The significance and role of the father within the family unit.

To be the head of the family, with wisdom and understanding, to be a protector and provider, to love all of his family and act accordingly in both private and public. I made it a point that our children would see that I do love their mother with unaltered affection and inalienable love.

I have seen many examples before I became a father, but grasp the the significance and role of the father within the family, I had to become one. I cannot say that I have done all that well at being a father, but I can say this, I have three children that I love dearly, along with their spouses, and our grandchildren and great grandchildren.

That is all I can add to the subject.
          sigpic

.....O LORD my God, in You I put my trust. Psalm 7:1
          .....To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul.
          Psalm 25:1

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~ Leo Buscaglia

The best portion of a person’s life -- are the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love. ~ William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Psalmist View Post

The significance and role of the father within the family unit.

To be the head of the family, with wisdom and understanding, to be a protector and provider, to love all of his family and act accordingly in both private and public. I made it a point that our children would see that I do love their mother with unaltered affection and inalienable love.
            Nicely said, too.

My view of the father's role has been influenced not only by the example of my father, but also by his father, and the father of my own children. All of these I subject to the Word of God and find that, while none of us is perfect, it is possible to meet the role defined there since all of these three did and do. They protect and provide for the family; they teach and train in righteousness and work ethic; they model moral steadfastness and correct error; they play - they instigate play, plan playtime, ensure playfulness - to unite, strengthen and encourage; they love their children and the mother of those children unconditionally, fully understanding what is and is not love.

These, among other things, are the role of the father, regardless of meeting the standard, or failure to do so. That many fathers fail at this role in no way diminishes the role itself. That many do an outstanding job of it shows that it is not an impossible role to fill - and that should encourage men to press on toward the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by koban View Post
              If you want to see how important fathers are to the family unit, look at cultures where the father is absent.
              Very true, and look at the role model the men play in those cultures.

One of my huge pet peeves today is how fathers are portrayed on TV. Every show, every commercial, the man in the family is a blundering idiot who always needs saved by the wife and kids. Usually the youngest child has the most wisdom in TV families. It makes me
              "I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

Comment

My father was a good man. He we an excellent provider; he set a good example for many important things pertaining to being successful in life. It was not until I was much older, when I had children growing up, that I came to realise that my father was not very comfortable with women and children. As I child, I had to make the effort to relate to him on his level, not as a typical child; he liked my interest in my studies and I will have to credit him for instilling in me values to be the perfect student and later, the perfect career woman.

My husband was much more a model of the father who relates to his family. My children did not always put their studies first, although they did well in school. My husband played ball with all the kids, he was the kind of father who took the kids out on the weekends and when they grew older, we had teenage parties at our home and as much as he disliked the music of the 1980s, he out up with it.

My father would just not allow kids playing loud music, or making noise. He was at home with businessmen, not family. Although he was fair and well tempered, not one to ever be abusive, nor did he ever show his feelings, or argue with my mother in front of us. My parents seemed perfect, that was what they thought was right, being an example that would be very hard to live up to, I believe he felt kids needed a model of adult perfection.

My family, we were less so, more vulnerable to our own passions and I think our children saw us as having human flaws.

My granddaughter told me, it was not so, that her mother sensed me as always being perfect and without flaws. She sees her mother as more human and although she feels able to discuss these things well with me now, I do find it perplexing.
                So, what?

believe it!

Comment

antiknight is like Bizarro Superman. He may be the opposite of the original, but he still goes over your head like a bird or a plane.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                    antiknight is like Bizarro Superman. .
                    I was thinking the same thing

Comment

In Confucianism - of the 5 main relationships, the Father-Son relationship has the greatest priority
                      If you have material wealth, but do not give to those in need, then the love of God is not in you. Whatever you have done for the least of these you have done for HIM. To give to the poor is to lend to the LORD.

Comment

Working...
                      X