Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It’s critical to understand “ginosko” (know) in the NT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ECT: It’s critical to understand “ginosko” (know) in the NT

    John 10:27-28 …
    “My sheep hear My voice, and I KNOW them, and they follow Me.
    And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish …”

    John 17:3 …
    “And this is eternal life, that they may KNOW You,
    the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.”

    1 John 2:3-4 …
    “Now by this we know that we KNOW Him, if we keep His commandments.
    He who says, “I know Him”, and does not keep His commandments,
    is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”

    All of the following is from …
    The Complete Biblical Library (NT), 1986, Springfield, Missouri

    1091.  ginosko (verb) … (Greek alphabet not available here?)
    (1) Classical Greek,
    (2) Septuagint Usage,
    (3) New Testament Usage
    “The Biblical concept of knowing God extends beyond mere intellectual apprehension and moves
    into the arena of obedience. To have genuine knowledge, one must respond to God who has
    graciously made himself known. This is thoroughly in keeping with the Old Testament idea …
    … On the one hand, former ignorance was to some extent excusable; now obedience is expected.
    On the other hand, simply knowing is inadequate, for God has disclosed himself adequately …
    Obedience is demanded in either circumstance. Knowing God, therefore, is more than
    theoretical or intellectual knowledge …
    … Apart from knowing God we are known by God. Being known by God is tantamount to
    experiencing his grace, and it depends, in part at least, upon our response to his grace.
    Certainly, it involves our will …
    … The letter of 1 John shows a marked interest in the theme of ‘knowing God” (25 times).
    Knowing God chiefly means obeying God’s commands and imitating Jesus.
    Obedience equals knowing God
    , and it is strikingly made evident in the demonstration of
    love for one another – just as Jesus loved …
    … True knowledge expresses itself in obedience, especially in love. One cannot have a true
    knowledge of God without being obedient to Him …
    … to know God truly we must have experienced Him. A person is to go beyond a merely
    intellectual appreciation for God; the effects of that experience must be evident in one’s life.”

    All of the many references which were imbedded in the above quote have been removed.

    I have available a full page of NT verses which prove that obedience is necessary for salvation!
    Last edited by ZacharyB; March 25th, 2019, 04:28 PM.
    "Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey,
    you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether
    (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death, OR
    (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?" (Romans 6:16)

  • #2
    Originally posted by ZacharyB View Post
    I have available a full page of NT verses which prove that obedience is necessary for salvation!
    sorry , I'm only going to quote one verse that says salvation is a gift of God
    Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,


    and some questions
    Gal 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?
    Gal 3:3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
      Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith.
      And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God
      This wonderful free gift of God is given when the believer first receives the Holy Spirit.
      Then, the believer's process of salvation begins.
      However, it doesn't end until the believer dies.

      Isn't it reasonable to RECONCILE the so-called OSAS NT verses
      with all of those NT verses which teach against OSAS?
      Please, reconcile them instead of ignoring/rejecting the red!
      "Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey,
      you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether
      (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death, OR
      (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?" (Romans 6:16)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ZacharyB View Post
        This wonderful free gift of God is given when the believer first receives the Holy Spirit.
        Then, the believer's process of salvation begins.
        However, it doesn't end until the believer dies.

        Isn't it reasonable to RECONCILE the so-called OSAS NT verses
        with all of those NT verses which teach against OSAS?
        Please, reconcile them instead of ignoring/rejecting the red!
        you didn't answer the questions
        Gal 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?
        Gal 3:3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
          you didn't answer the questions
          Your 2 questions are way beyond ludicrous
          for someone who's in the trouble you're in!

          Revelation 21:8
          "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."


          This verse applies to everyone, believers and unbelievers alike!
          I could explain who the cowardly are, but it would be a waste of time.
          I wonder how many in this fine list apply to you?
          "Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey,
          you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether
          (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death, OR
          (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?" (Romans 6:16)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ZacharyB View Post
            Your 2 questions are way beyond ludicrous
            for someone who's in the trouble you're in!
            you're the one not answering the questions

            Gal 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?
            Gal 3:3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

            Revelation 21:8
            "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."


            This verse applies to everyone, believers and unbelievers alike!
            I could explain who the cowardly are, but it would be a waste of time.
            I wonder how many in this fine list apply to you?
            you say this verse applies to believers but underline unbelieving


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
              you're the one not answering the questions

              Gal 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?
              Gal 3:3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?



              you say this verse applies to believers but underline unbelieving


              Un oh. Guess he missed that little detail.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
                Revelation 21:8
                "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake
                which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."


                you say this verse applies to believers but underline unbelieving
                Can't you see that the verse applies to BOTH believers and unbelievers?
                It's a catch-all verse, which applies to everyone on the face of the earth.
                Does that include you? If not, which planet are you on?
                Glorydaze has always been way out there on Star #47297056206.
                "Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey,
                you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether
                (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death, OR
                (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?" (Romans 6:16)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ZacharyB View Post
                  Can't you see that the verse applies to BOTH believers and unbelievers?
                  It's a catch-all verse, which applies to everyone on the face of the earth.
                  Does that include you? If not, which planet are you on?
                  Glorydaze has always been way out there on Star #47297056206.


                  "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral,
                  doubling down

                  you say this verse applies to believers and underline the contradiction unbelieving





                  still didn't answer the questions

                  Gal 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?
                  Gal 3:3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by glorydaz View Post
                    Un oh. Guess he missed that little detail.
                    I don't know how it's getting by him but it is.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
                      Gal 3:2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?
                      Gal 3:3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?
                      Do you really believe that once receiving the Spirit you are quaranteed salvation?
                      The NT makes it very clear that salvation is conditional, and that it is a process!
                      You are ignoring and/or rejecting many warning NT verses!
                      Do so at your peril.
                      "Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey,
                      you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether
                      (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death, OR
                      (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?" (Romans 6:16)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ZacharyB View Post
                        [B]
                        I have available a full page of NT verses which prove that obedience is necessary for salvation!
                        No matter how good you are and how you try to obey, you will never be worthy! Only by the work of Christ on the cross do you have salvation. You cannot do anything on your own to please God.
                        So, what?

                        believe it!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ZacharyB View Post
                          Do you really believe that once receiving the Spirit you are quaranteed salvation?
                          The NT makes it very clear that salvation is conditional, and that it is a process!
                          You are ignoring and/or rejecting many warning NT verses!
                          Do so at your peril.
                          You fail to understand that salvation is at the end of all the process. It is the final step for one to be made right to receive the Holy Spirit.
                          Mark 3:28-29, Matthew 12:31-32, and Luke 12:10
                          So, what?

                          believe it!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ZacharyB View Post
                            Do you really believe that once receiving the Spirit you are quaranteed salvation?

                            Yes! I am sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption of my body.

                            The Holy Spirit applied to my life is GOD's promise and guarantee that He is going to complete what He started.
                            Jer 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD[YHVH], that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
                            Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he[the Branch] shall be called, THE LORD[YHVH] OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by steko View Post
                              Yes! I am sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption of my body.

                              The Holy Spirit applied to my life is GOD's promise and guarantee that He is going to complete what He started.
                              I've read something like that somewhere


                              Eph 1:13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,
                              Eph 1:14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.


                              2Co 5:5 He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X