ECT Why Was Paul Baptized With Water?

turbosixx

"I can see {A} but not {B}. Wouldn't that make it {A}?"

No, it wouldn't.

That's called an argument from incredulity, a type of informal logical fallacy.

Respectfully, if we look at conversions before Crispus we can established that those who believed were water baptized in the name of Jesus.

Those in Samaria.
8:16 for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Baptism in the name of Jesus is water.
Acts 10:47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

We can also look after Crispus and we see Paul baptizing in the name of Jesus those who had already been baptized with John's baptism.
Acts 19:3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John's baptism.” 4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Respectfully, if we look at conversions before Crispus we can established that those who believed were water baptized in the name of Jesus.

Those in Samaria.
8:16 for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Baptism in the name of Jesus is water.
Acts 10:47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

We can also look after Crispus and we see Paul baptizing in the name of Jesus those who had already been baptized with John's baptism.
Acts 19:3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John's baptism.” 4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Sorry, but no, this argument has been debunked already:

"In the name of" simply means "by the authority of."

It has nothing whatsoever to do with how something is done.

turbosixx

Sorry, but no, this argument has been debunked already:

"In the name of" simply means "by the authority of."

It has nothing whatsoever to do with how something is done.

I agree it does mean "by the authority of". HOW were these men baptized "by the authority of" Jesus?

turbosixx

Isn't it odd that Paul never writes about "baptism in the name of Jesus"?

Why would he? He's writing to those who have already been baptized in the name of Jesus. Why would Paul ask this sarcastic question if they had not?
13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Why would he? He's writing to those who have already been baptized in the name of Jesus. Why would Paul ask this sarcastic question if they had not?
13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
Which, again, has nothing to do with HOW someone is baptized, just under who's authority it's done.

turbosixx

Which, again, has nothing to do with HOW someone is baptized, just under who's authority it's done.

I've shown HOW someone is baptized in the name of Jesus and it's by water. Could you please point me to a passage that shows HOW someone is baptized in the name of Jesus another way.

You want me to believe these are different?
Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.
Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Based on what?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I've shown HOW someone is baptized in the name of Jesus and it's by water.

This is called begging the question.

There are more ways of being baptised than in water.

You're conflating "given authority" with "how one is baptized."

In other words:

Correlation does not equal causation.

Could you please point me to a passage that shows HOW someone is baptized in the name of Jesus another way.

You want me to believe these are different?
Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.
Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Based on what?

What I want is for you to stop assuming that every time you see the word "baptism" it means water is somehow involved.

turbosixx

This is called begging the question.

There are more ways of being baptised than in water.

You're conflating "given authority" with "how one is baptized."

In other words:

What I want is for you to stop assuming that every time you see the word "baptism" it means water is somehow involved.

If you won't/can't show me how, do you know WHEN someone is baptized in the name of Jesus?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If you won't/can't show me how, do you know WHEN someone is baptized in the name of Jesus?
By His authority? Sure, because the text says so.

Which, once again, has nothing to do with what is used to baptize someone.

It's not dependent.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You didn't answer when someone is baptized in the name of Jesus.
So what?

By whose authority has little to nothing to do with what is used.

Right Divider

Body part
At what point in a conversion is someone baptized by the ONE baptism?
The exact moment that they believe and trust in the gospel of their salvation.

Eph 1:12-14 KJV That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. (13) In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, (14) Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Good question. I'm not being funny but I believe it means just what it says, one baptism. I believe that one baptism is water. Here is one reason why.

The disciples in Ephesus were converted by Apollos, Acts 18:24-28. He taught accurately Jesus with ONE exception, baptism. He hadn't learned of baptism in the name of Jesus but only knew John's baptism. All baptisms are not the same. Acts 19:1-6,When Paul comes into town he asks these disciples if they received the Holy Spirit (I understand HS gifts) when they believed, they said no. He asks them "into what then were you baptized?" If the Holy Spirit does the baptizing upon belief, Paul would not have asked believers this question.

He does not preach the gospel but simply explains the baptism of John and then baptizes them again, this time in the name of Jesus. Only after doing so does he give them the Holy Spirit. We see this exact same thing in Acts 8, baptized in the name of Jesus then laying of hands to receive the Holy Spirit.
8:4 Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.

If the ONE baptism is by the HS, then Paul would not have needed to baptize these men again, this time in the name of Jesus.

I just cannot understand how it is possible for people who are clearly not stupid and clearly not trying to be recalcitrant or stubborn or anything else like that, to say things so openly and obviously self-contradictory.

Look at your last sentence and tell me how many baptisms are referenced in that sentence and then when you get to any number bigger than one, tell me how it doesn't contradict itself (not to mention Eph 4:4). How can anyone even mention the existence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit while trying to defend the idea that water baptism is the "one baptism" of Eph. 4:4? I genuinely cannot comprehend it.

Last edited:

DAN P

I just cannot understand how it is possible for people who are clearly not stupid and clearly not trying to be recalcitrant or stubborn or anything else like that, to say things so openly and obviously self-contradictory.

Look at your last sentence and tell me how many baptisms are referenced in that sentence and then when you get to any number bigger than one, tell me how it doesn't contradict itself (not to mention Eph 4:4). How can anyone even mention the existence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit while trying to defend that idea the water baptism is the "one baptism" of Eph. 4:4? I genuinely cannot comprehend it.

Hi and as I have pointed out many times , that the BAPTIZO in Eph 4:5 is NOT BAPTISM / BAPTIZO but is the Greek word BAPTISMA and it means ones who BAPTIZES and that baptism / baptized is the HOLY SPIRIT and is used 22 times from Matthew through Ephesians !!

In Other words , means , no more WATER BAPTISM !!

dan p

turbosixx

Look at your last sentence and tell me how many baptisms are referenced in that sentence and then when you get to any number bigger than one, tell me how it doesn't contradict itself (not to mention Eph 4:4). How can anyone even mention the existence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit while trying to defend the idea that water baptism is the "one baptism" of Eph. 4:4? I genuinely cannot comprehend it.

Honest question. Where does the bible tell us someone was baptized by the Holy Spirit?

turbosixx

Hi and as I have pointed out many times , that the BAPTIZO in Eph 4:5 is NOT BAPTISM / BAPTIZO but is the Greek word BAPTISMA and it means ones who BAPTIZES and that baptism / baptized is the HOLY SPIRIT and is used 22 times from Matthew through Ephesians !!

In Other words , means , no more WATER BAPTISM !!

dan p
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the word used in Acts 19:5 baptizo.

Where do you get the information that baptisma means baptizer?

BibleHub says it's the ritual

baptisma: (the result of) a dipping or sinking
Original Word: βάπτισμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: baptisma
Phonetic Spelling: (bap'-tis-mah)
Definition: (the result of) a dipping or sinking
Usage: the rite or ceremony of baptism

way 2 go

Honest question. Where does the bible tell us someone was baptized by the Holy Spirit?
Honest answer Act 11:15-16 were baptized by the Holy Spirit

Mar 1:8 I indeed have baptized you in water, but He shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit.

Act 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
Act 11:16 And I remembered the Word of the Lord, how He said, John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.