Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Was Paul Baptized With Water?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
    Paul performed unnecessary baptisms

    no, not from ignorance but from doing what had always been done.
    I told you why it had been done and that is why Paul baptized some believers with water.

    But you think that when Paul baptized those believers that baptism wasn't necessary.

    Besides that, you also assert that it wasn't necessary when Paul himself was baptized with water.

    Do you think that when the other Jews were baptized with water that baptism was necessary? If your answer is "yes" then please tell me in what sense it was necessary.

    Do you think that when Cornelius was baptized with water that baptism was necessary? And if your answer is "yes" then tell me in what sense it was necessary.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
      Ananias told Saul (Paul)"why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).

      What was the purpose of this baptism?

      Was it not for the remission of sins?
      One of the challenges of any student of the scriptures is to read only what is written and not to read into scripture or assume that a practice of one man of God carries over to another man of God.

      Thus we can ask, "where is water mentioned in that verse?"

      Why isn't water mentioned in that verse?

      If God wanted water in that verse, why didn't God put the word "water" into that verse?

      Did not both John the B and Jesus the C say that John's baptism was for all time and that the baptism that Jesus initiated, the baptism in pneuma hagion and then the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ to be ignored?

      No, neither one did.

      With the coming of the greater baptism the less was dispensed with.

      Water is done with, over, of no purpose.

      Baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, in all that Jesus Christ represents and accomplished for us, remission of sins, redemption, the gift of salvation/holy spirit/eternal life does way more for us that simply becoming wet
      "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

      "Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

      Pro scripture = Protestant

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by oatmeal View Post
        If God wanted water in that verse, why didn't God put the word "water" into that verse?
        The word "wash" in that verse indicates to you that it was being baptized with the Holy Spirit which was in view?:

        "why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord"
        (Acts 22:16).

        The fact of the matter is that on the Damascus road Paul had been born of God, born of the Spirit, when he realized that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:
        "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1-5).

        Paul was born of God before he washed away his sins.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
          The word "wash" in that verse indicates to you that it was being baptized with the Holy Spirit which was in view?:

          "why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord"
          (Acts 22:16).

          The fact of the matter is that on the Damascus road Paul had been born of God, born of the Spirit, when he realized that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:
          "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1-5).

          Paul was born of God before he washed away his sins.
          There is an interesting progression, if that is the best term, that can be delineated by the difference in the meaning of two words, remission and forgiveness

          At the moment someone is saved, born again.. their past sins are remitted.

          However, this remission does not include sins committed after having received the gift of salvation.

          Sin believers do err after they are saved, forgiveness is the process of washing away those errors.

          I John 1;5-10

          5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

          6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

          7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

          8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

          9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

          10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

          The blood of Jesus Christ washes away cleanseth us from sin whether by remission or by our confessing them to the Father.
          "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

          "Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

          Pro scripture = Protestant

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
            I told you why it had been done and that is why Paul baptized some believers with water.
            I told you it was because he was doing what had always been done.

            not some believers ,Paul only baptized 2 people & also the household of Stephanas

            But you think that when Paul baptized those believers that baptism wasn't necessary.
            correct
            Besides that, you also assert that it wasn't necessary when Paul himself was baptized with water.
            correct
            Do you think that when the other Jews were baptized with water that baptism was necessary? If your answer is "yes" then please tell me in what sense it was necessary.
            example please
            Do you think that when Cornelius was baptized with water that baptism was necessary? And if your answer is "yes" then tell me in what sense it was necessary.
            no

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by oatmeal View Post
              5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

              6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

              7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

              8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

              9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

              10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

              The blood of Jesus Christ washes away cleanseth us from sin whether by remission or by our confessing them to the Father.
              The words of John were addressed to the believers who had already received eternal life (1 Jn.5:11) so verse 9 has nothing to do with salvation but instead that verse is in regard to staying in "fellowship" with the Lord.

              In a Christian's "walk" any sin which he commits defiles Him and breaks his fellowship with the Lord. However, once that sin is confessed then the one who confesses is cleansed from all unrighteousness.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
                correct
                So you think that Paul baptized some believers for no reason since you say that those baptisms were unnecessary. And you said that he was baptizing those people because he was doing what had always been done.

                Here is what had always been done in regard to baptism before Paul:

                "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins"
                (Mk.1:4).

                How can you say that Paul's baptism was unnecessary since it resulted in the remission of sins for all those who submitted to the rite?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
                  The words of John were addressed to the believers who had already received eternal life (1 Jn.5:11) so verse 9 has nothing to do with salvation but instead that verse is in regard to staying in "fellowship" with the Lord.

                  In a Christian's "walk" any sin which he commits defiles Him and breaks his fellowship with the Lord. However, once that sin is confessed then the one who confesses is cleansed from all unrighteousness.
                  True
                  "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

                  "Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

                  Pro scripture = Protestant

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
                    So you think that Paul baptized some believers for no reason since you say that those baptisms were unnecessary. And you said that he was baptizing those people because he was doing what had always been done.

                    Here is what had always been done in regard to baptism before Paul:

                    "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins"
                    (Mk.1:4).

                    How can you say that Paul's baptism was unnecessary since it resulted in the remission of sins for all those who submitted to the rite?
                    Paul's shows baptism was unnecessary by only baptizing 2 people & also the household of Stephanas

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
                      Paul's shows baptism was unnecessary by only baptizing 2 people & also the household of Stephanas
                      But you said that Paul was baptizing because it was done before he was converted. And the only baptism which a person could perform before Paul was converted was the baptism of repentance for THE REMISSION OF SINS.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
                        But you said that Paul was baptizing because it was done before he was converted.
                        correct
                        And the only baptism which a person could perform before Paul was converted was the baptism of repentance for THE REMISSION OF SINS.
                        Paul's shows baptism was unnecessary by only baptizing 2 people & also the household of Stephanas

                        are you going to say circumcision was necessary because timothy was?
                        Act 16:3 Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him, and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
                          Paul's shows baptism was unnecessary by only baptizing 2 people & also the household of Stephanas
                          If it was unnecessary he wouldn't have baptized anyone.

                          Paul was saved by believing the same thing that the Jews who lived under the law believed when they were saved. So to begin he was saved under the divine stewardship given to the Twelve and according to that program all those who believed were to be baptized with water.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
                            If it was unnecessary he wouldn't have baptized anyone.
                            are you saying circumcision was necessary because timothy was?
                            Act 16:3 Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him, and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek.

                            Paul was saved by believing the same thing that the Jews who lived under the law believed when they were saved. So to begin he was saved under the divine stewardship given to the Twelve and according to that program all those who believed were to be baptized with water.
                            doing what always been done but unnecessary with Paul

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
                              are you saying circumcision was necessary because timothy was?
                              Paul rightfully thought it was necessary for Timothy to be circumcized because both would be going to the Jews to preach a gospel and if Timothy wasn't circumcized then the Jews would be highly offended if an uncirumcized person was brought into the synagogues by Paul.

                              But no one would be offended if Paul didn't baptize the believers that he baptized.

                              But you think that even though Paul was baptized that baptism was unnecessary even though it was for the remission of sins. And you think that when Paul baptized believers that baptism was unnecessary even though it was for the remission of sins.

                              Why was Paul's baptism unnecessary while the baptism of other people was necessary?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
                                Paul rightfully thought it was necessary for Timothy to be circumcized because both would be going to the Jews to preach a gospel and if Timothy wasn't circumcized then the Jews would be highly offended if an uncirumcized person was brought into the synagogues by Paul.

                                But no one would be offended if Paul didn't baptize the believers that he baptized.

                                But you think that even though Paul was baptized that baptism was unnecessary even though it was for the remission of sins. And you think that when Paul baptized believers that baptism was unnecessary even though it was for the remission of sins.

                                Why was Paul's baptism unnecessary while the baptism of other people was necessary?
                                you answered your own question

                                "no one would be offended if Paul didn't baptize the believers that he baptized."

                                are you offended by this:
                                Paul's shows baptism was unnecessary by only baptizing 2 people & also the household of Stephanas

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X