ECT Principles of Spiritual Growth

Jerry Shugart

https://biblehub.com/greek/3622.htm

"3622, οἰκονομίία oikonomia: stewardship, administration, management of household affairs, stewardship, administration."

"Colossians 1:25
GRK: κατὰ τὴν οἰκονομίαν τοῦ θεοῦ
NAS: according to the stewardship from God
KJV: according to the dispensation of God
INT: according to the administration of God"

Tyndale translation of Colossians 1: 25: "whereof am I made a minister according to the ordinance of God, which ordinance was given me unto you ward, to fulfill the word of God."

Ordinance is the Tyndale translation of oikonomia for Colossians 1: 25

The question again that interests me is whether the use of the word "dispensacioun" in the Wycliffe Bible, of about 1382, which is a Catholic English translation of the Latin Vulgate New Testament, reflects a Catholic interest in the use of "dispensacioun." Did the Catholics have some reason for using "dispensacioun," and did some authority after the death of Calvin, such as Theodore Beza, prefer the use of dispensation rather than Tyndale's translations of oikonomia? The Geneva Bible, which came before the King James Version, uses dispensation consistently for oikonomia. An earlier translation by Beza had an influence upon the Geneva Bible translation group.

What do you think Paul was referring to when he wrote of the "stewardship of the grace of God" (Eph.3:2)?

northwye

If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward: 3.How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words).........Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power." Ephesians 3: 2-3,7

In Ephesians 3: 2 Paul is saying that God made him (Paul) a minister (Ephesians 3: 3) of the Gospel of grace, which implies also the Gospel of justification by faith.

The definition of the English word dispensation from https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/dispensation is:

"Origin: Late Middle English: from Latin dispensatio(n-), from the verb dispensare (see dispense)......The action of distributing or supplying something.
‘regulations controlling dispensation of medications..........Permission to be exempted from the laws or observances of the Church.
‘he received papal dispensation to hold a number of benefices’
count noun ‘the Pope granted Henry a dispensation to marry Elizabeth of York’"........... (in Christian theology) a divinely ordained system prevailing at a particular period of history. ‘the Mosaic dispensation’"

However, note that the Oxford Dictionary says in Christian theology a dispensation is a system prevailing at a particular period of history. It does not say that New Testament scripture defines a dispensation in this way.

When dispensationalism says that God made only Paul the minister of the Gospel of Grace and of justification by faith, then dispensationalism gets into problems with the New Testament. There was a point of disagreement between the Jerusalem ekklesia and Paul and his Crew in Acts 15 over circumcision of Gentiles. That disagreement was settled by allowing the Gentile Christians not to have to be circumcised, which agrees with the Gospel of justification by faith and not be race and obeying the law.

In II Peter 3: 15-17 Peter says "And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16. As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17.Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness."

In his Gospel John uses pisteuo (believe) many times rather than pistis (faith) but the two Greek words have much the same meaning.

https://biblehub.com/greek/4100.htm

Strong's Number 4100, πιστεύω, to believe, have faith in, trust in;"

https://biblehub.com/greek/4102.htm

"Strong's Number 4102, πίστις, pistis: faith, faithfulness
belief, trust, confidence;"

John 3: 16 says "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Maybe to dispensationalists, in their zeal for dividing up meanings, believers, races, etc, and in their literalist "Hermeneutic," pisteuo has a different meaning than does pistis.

But that third chapter of John's Gospel has a very important New Testament doctrine, "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" - John 3: 3. Remember that Christ is here talking to a Pharisee, Nicodemus. So, this New Testament doctrine that everyone, regardless of their genetics, must be born again by the Spirit. to enter the kingdom of God means that a Jewish person is not justified by his genetics under the New Covenant. This doctrine itself disagrees with the doctrines established by the Founders of dispensationalism, that the multitude of Old Covenant Israel remain a Chosen People.

But maybe for a dispensationalist the "kingdom of God" is in a different dispensation

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward: 3.How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words).........Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power." Ephesians 3: 2-3,7

In Ephesians 3: 2 Paul is saying that God made him (Paul) a minister (Ephesians 3: 3) of the Gospel of grace, which implies also the Gospel of justification by faith.

Yes, I agree with that. So when do you say that stewardship began?

northwye

When dispensationalism says that God made only Paul the minister of the Gospel of Grace and of justification by faith, then dispensationalism gets into problems with the New Testament. There was a point of disagreement between the Jerusalem ekklesia and Paul and his Crew in Acts 15 over circumcision of Gentiles. That disagreement was settled by allowing the Gentile Christians not to have to be circumcised, which agrees with the Gospel of justification by faith and not be race and obeying the law.

In II Peter 3: 15-17 Peter says "And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16. As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17.Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness."

In his Gospel John uses pisteuo (believe) many times rather than pistis (faith) but the two Greek words have much the same meaning.

John 3: 16 says "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Maybe to dispensationalists, in their zeal for dividing up meanings, believers, races, etc, and in their literalist "Hermeneutic," pisteuo has a different meaning than does pistis.

northwye

Jerry Shugart

When dispensationalism says that God made only Paul the minister of the Gospel of Grace and of justification by faith, then dispensationalism gets into problems with the New Testament.

Who says that God made only Paul a minister of the gospel of grace?

I say he was the first but he was not the only one.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Dispensationalism focuses its attention upon the multitude, when in fact it is that multitude, in part led by dispensationalism, which is following a theology which disagrees with many New Testament scriptures. When the multitude goes off into false doctrines God raises up a remnant to continue his plan of redemption.

But dispensationalists cannot admit that there is a prophecy about a remnant existing in the time of the Church Age in Revelation 12: 15-17. I have never seen anything ever mentioned about Revelation 12: 15-17 by a dispensationalist on TOL.
This seems to convey a misunderstanding of dispensational teaching.

There are, of course, those within dispensationism who would disagree, depending on when they think the current dispensation began but, speaking from my own theological perspective, nothing in Revelation, chapter 12 or otherwise, is talking about the Body of Christ. The book is about Israel from beginning to end.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

So where's the problem with the New Testament that dispensationlism has?

Why do you make a claim and then present an argument that does nothing to establish that claim?

What have you either said or quoted that any dispensationalist would disagree with? Are you suggesting that dispensationalists teach that Jews didn't have to come to God in faith in order to be saved? If so, you are horribly mistaken. But what else could you mean by what you've posted here?

Clete

Jerry Shugart

There are, of course, those within dispensationism who would disagree, depending on when they think the current dispensation began but, speaking from my own theological perspective, nothing in Revelation, chapter 12 or otherwise, is talking about the Body of Christ. The book is about Israel from beginning to end.

My understanding is that those in the Body of Christ will partake in the "reign" mentioned in the book of Revelation:

"And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth" (Rev.5:10).​

From the time when living saints will meet the Lord Jesus in the air those in the Body of Christ will forever be with the Lord Jesus (1 Thess.4:17). So when the Lord Jesus returns to the earth to reign from the throne of David all those in the Body of Christ will be with Him and will reign with Him (Rev.3:21).

It will be at that time when those in the Body will judge the world (1 Cor.6:2).

Aimiel

Do you deny that the Lord Jesus commanded his Apostles to heal?
Of course not; however: I don't believe that He thought for one minute that The One Who made this world believed that twelve dudes could take The Gospel to every corner of the world and get it into the hands of every single person. I believe that when He said, "Go ye into all the world and preach The Gospel to every creature. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead and cast out demons," that He was speaking to every single believer. I believe He was speaking to you and me. :thumb:

glorydaz

Of course not; however: I don't believe that He thought for one minute that The One Who made this world believed that twelve dudes could take The Gospel to every corner of the world and get it into the hands of every single person. I believe that when He said, "Go ye into all the world and preach The Gospel to every creature. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead and cast out demons," that He was speaking to every single believer. I believe He was speaking to you and me. :thumb:

Except our Lord was speaking of the Kingdom Gospel...not the Gospel of Grace.

Therefore, the "heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons" was not speaking to you and me.

Aimiel

Except our Lord was speaking of the Kingdom Gospel...not the Gospel of Grace.

Therefore, the "heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons" was not speaking to you and me.
Sorry, I don't believe that. I believe Scriptures over men, every time.

Jerry Shugart

Of course not; however: I don't believe that He thought for one minute that The One Who made this world believed that twelve dudes could take The Gospel to every corner of the world and get it into the hands of every single person.

What evidence can you give that the Twelve preached the gospel of the kingdom to every corner of the world?

Aimiel

What evidence can you give that the Twelve preached the gospel of the kingdom to every corner of the world?
None. That was my point. We (Christians) are to go into all the world...

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

glorydaz

None. That was my point. We (Christians) are to go into all the world...

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Yet, you don't drink poison or pick up deadly snakes, do you?

Things changed when Stephen was stoned. Israel had been given enough time, and the Apostles recognized that.

Now the Gospel of Grace (Paul's Gospel) is going out to the world, and that doesn't give us power to drink deadly drinks or pick up deadly snakes, or cast out demons, or raise the dead.