Biblical Flat Enclosed Earth and Firmament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lon

When the Bible speaks of a face in terms of the earth, does that imply "flatness" or flattish?
Spoiler
Here's the KJV Bible definition of the word face.

http://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/face.html
KJV Dictionary Definition: face

face

FACE, n. L., to make.
1. In a general sense, the surface of a thing, or the side which presents itself to the view of a spectator; as the face of the earth; the face of the waters.
2. A part of the surface of a thing; or the plane surface of a solid. Thus, a cube or die has six faces an octahedron has eight faces.
3. The surface of the fore part of an animals head, particularly of the human head; the visage.
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread. Genesis 3.
Joseph bowed himself with his face to the earth. Genesis 48.
4. Countenance; cast of features; look; air of the face.
We set the best face on it we could.
5. The front of a thing; the forepart; the flat surface that presents itself first to view; as the face of a house. Ezekiel 41.
6. Visible state; appearance.
This would produce a new face of things in Europe.
7. Appearance; look.
Nor heaven, nor sea, their former face retained.
His dialogue has the face of probability.
8. State of confrontation. The witnesses were presented face to face.
9. Confidence; boldness; impudence; a bold front.
He has the face to charge others with false citations.
10. Presence; sight; as in the phrases, before the face, in the face, to the face, from the face.
11. The person.
I had not thought to see thy face. Genesis 48.
12. In scripture, face is used for anger or favor.

Genesis 6:1 KJV - And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose
My words here: Was geometry around 6000 years ago? A "Face" in geometry refers to a plane also.

n solid geometry, a face is a flat (planar) surface that forms part of the boundary of a solid object; a three-dimensional solid bounded exclusively by flat faces is a polyhedron.

Face (geometry) - Wikipedia

Not unless we press that. Your face, for instance, isn't a plane. When we read the bible, the important thing is leaving room for it to interpret itself.

Note here, 'face' means 'outer surface of the earth.'
If you like this thread or are just slightly interested and you haven't watched this 13 minute video, please watch to see where I'm coming from. The video is above this post also and in the very first post of this thread. If you don't and you want to simply call me crazy then, as meshak says, good day to you.

The Gift of Looking Stupid' - Flat Earth & the Mark of the Beast...

https://youtu.be/fRgiPBxaMFs - 13 minutes - this video speaks of an enclosed earth and firmament and the end times.
To me, this guy falls into the 'question everything but God' category. I appreciate that. As far as I understand the earth from 'my' observations, a globe fits what I'm experiencing, observing, and measuring. Also, I don't doubt we've gone to the moon (a few astronauts are evangelical Christians). I appreciate mostly, a dedication to what one believes God is saying over against anybody or anything. My only contention point (I think it is my only one) is Romans 12:4,5
@Lon
Quick question: In Revelation 6 when the Bible tells the "stars" of heaven fall to earth, do you think it's talking about sun-like sized stars or bigger falling to earth? It would only take one star. We believe they are fallen angels but are they really stars?

Revelation 6:13 KJV - And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

What do we call meteors that enter the atmosphere? To me, it 'looks' like Revelation 6:13 would apply to severe meteor showers. I too, agree with you such could be talking rather about spiritual matters. Revelation does have a lot of symbolism so it is always a tricky book. I heard one suggest giant locusts were helicopters. It 'could' be, but we need to keep our speculations speculative and be open to how it unfolds.

This might help: My understanding and way I read Revelation, isn't to 'predict' the future, it is already given. Rather, I believe it is there for one going 'through' those times. If it applies directly to us, we'll eventually know what those symbols are (I'm a partial preterist, if that helps you know a bit better where I'm coming from).

At any rate, my current understanding of this passage is that of meteor showers thus the only place one 'could' be safe would be something pretty solid underground. That does sound a bit apocryphal. I'd think there won't be a lot of standing houses at that time (sorry, almost more of a Revelation/End Times discussion at this point. I'm not trying to derail your thread).

Right Divider

Body part
If an object stood 100 ft. above sea level, could it be seen by a ship 40 miles away or would it be hidden by the curvature of the earth?
I ask because ships have reported seeing the lighthouse at Cape Hatteras from 40 miles away.
What does the scripture say about it?

WizardofOz

Is that how GOD's word describes it?
As Patrick Jane rightly said, " It can be interpreted in different ways."

Is that how you interpret it?

Otherwise...
46036793.jpg

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Not unless we press that. Your face, for instance, isn't a plane. When we read the bible, the important thing is leaving room for it to interpret itself.

Note here, 'face' means 'outer surface of the earth.'

What do we call meteors that enter the atmosphere? To me, it 'looks' like Revelation 6:13 would apply to severe meteor showers. I too, agree with you such could be talking rather about spiritual matters. Revelation does have a lot of symbolism so it is always a tricky book. I heard one suggest giant locusts were helicopters. It 'could' be, but we need to keep our speculations speculative and be open to how it unfolds.

This might help: My understanding and way I read Revelation, isn't to 'predict' the future, it is already given. Rather, I believe it is there for one going 'through' those times. If it applies directly to us, we'll eventually know what those symbols are (I'm a partial preterist, if that helps you know a bit better where I'm coming from).

At any rate, my current understanding of this passage is that of meteor showers thus the only place one 'could' be safe would be something pretty solid underground. That does sound a bit apocryphal. I'd think there won't be a lot of standing houses at that time (sorry, almost more of a Revelation/End Times discussion at this point. I'm not trying to derail your thread).
Not a problem at all, Revelation should be part of this as all scripture in the 66 books. :thumb:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
No, and it also does not describe it as being flat.
When the Bible speaks of a face in terms of the earth, does that imply "flatness" or flattish? Here's the KJV Bible definition of the word face.

face

FACE, n. L., to make.
1. In a general sense, the surface of a thing, or the side which presents itself to the view of a spectator; as the face of the earth; the face of the waters.
2. A part of the surface of a thing; or the plane surface of a solid. Thus, a cube or die has six faces an octahedron has eight faces.
3. The surface of the fore part of an animals head, particularly of the human head; the visage.
5. The front of a thing; the forepart; the flat surface that presents itself first to view; as the face of a house. Ezekiel 41.
7. Appearance; look.
10. Presence; sight; as in the phrases, before the face, in the face, to the face, from the face.
11. The person.

Genesis 6:1 KJV - And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

[FONT=&quot]That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose[/FONT]
My words here: Was geometry around 6000 years ago? [FONT=&quot]It wasn't, but God knows all maths[/FONT]. A "Face" in geometry refers to a plane also.

in solid geometry, a face is a flat (planar) surface that forms part of the boundary of a solid object; a three-dimensional solid bounded exclusively by flat faces is a polyhedron.

Right Divider

Body part
When the Bible speaks of a face in terms of the earth, does that imply "flatness" or flattish? Here's the KJV Bible definition of the word face.

face

FACE, n. L., to make.
7. Appearance; look.
11. The person.

That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose
My words here: Was geometry around 6000 years ago? It wasn't, but God knows all maths. A "Face" in geometry refers to a plane also.

in solid geometry, a face is a flat (planar) surface that forms part of the boundary of a solid object; a three-dimensional solid bounded exclusively by flat faces is a polyhedron.

The "face of earth" is just the part that you see. Just like a persons face.

Just another lame attempt to twist the words the way that you want them to mean.

Matt 16:3 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:3) And in the morning, [It will be] foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O [ye] hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not [discern] the signs of the times?

Luke 12:56 (AKJV/PCE)
(12:56) [Ye] hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time?

Is the sky also flat?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The "face of earth" is just the part that you see. Just like a persons face.

Matt 16:3 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:3) And in the morning, [It will be] foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O [ye] hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not [discern] the signs of the times?
Luke 12:56 (AKJV/PCE)
(12:56) [Ye] hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time?

Is the sky also flat?
Thanks for those scriptures, they reinforce my interpretation. The sky has a face, yes. You're giving lame attempts as well. You'll fit right in. You already know everything, why bother? Does the sky look the a ball, flying and spinning?

Right Divider

Body part
Thanks for those scriptures, they reinforce my interpretation. The sky has a face, yes. You're giving lame attempts as well.
How so? I'm simply showing you that "face" does not mean FLAT in scripture.

You'll fit right in. You already know everything, why bother? Does the sky look the a ball, flying and spinning?
I understand that you're feeling insulted at being corrected. And I did NOT say that "face" means ball or any other such thing.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
How so? I'm simply showing you that "face" does not mean FLAT in scripture.

I understand that you're feeling insulted at being corrected. And I did NOT say that "face" means ball or any other such thing.
I don't feel insulted , I was insulted. Sorry for correcting you, I know how that can be. We can search the scriptures.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I didn't insult you. I just showed you that face does not mean flat in the scriptures.
It was lame attempt though, right? Twisting scriptures? And you seem to think you "corrected" me. Nope, not a hint of insult there. If this is all you're going to do here then have a blast. If you can find scriptures that support a ball earth flying and spinning through infinite space, feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.