What can be learned from the saving Gospel preached in pretense and strife?

musterion

Philippians ch. 1

15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defense of the gospel.
18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretense, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

In Galatians 1, Paul made very clear God's condemnation of all who teach false gospels. Here in Philippians 1, Paul acknowledges that some were preaching Christ "of envy and strife," "of contention, not sincerely" and "in pretense," evidently in order to cause him pain. Yet he says he rejoiced for it just the same since no matter what the motivation, Christ was being preached.

A few points may be drawn from this:

•Paul could not have rejoiced if any gospel other than the Gospel of grace was being preached. That means the death for sin, burial and resurrection for justification was the good news being preached, not the gospel of the Kingdom or anything else.

•Paul does not clarify whether those preaching the Gospel of grace are unsaved or simply badly motivated saved people (hard to imagine lost folks actually preaching it, but who knows). It apparently didn't matter enough to say one way or the other. It wasn't the point.

•The important point (imo) is this: that Paul rejoiced over the Gospel being preached even with bad motivations reinforces Romans 1:16. It is THE MESSAGE OF THE CROSS AND EMPTY TOMB ITSELF that is the power of God unto salvation.

•That message may be poorly, ineptly or even insincerely preached but it is still the Word of God and so can still cut deep into the soul DESPITE the preacher... whereas the flashiest, slickest, smoothest, most authoritarian and earnest preacher of an ear-tickling false gospel only damns himself and whoever believes him.

In short, this passage shows us that the real power of sound Godly preaching is not found in any human being today. It is found ONLY in the Gospel of the grace of God itself. This, I also now believe, sheds light on 2 Cor 12:9-10.

musterion

Possibly...

17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so, as ye have us for an example.

18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ

The ones mentioned here may have been the usual run of Judaizers who always dogged Paul, or perhaps false professors of Christ, either of whom"mind earthly things."

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your OP made me think of the guy casting out demons, and the disciples told him to stop because he was not a follower with them.
And Jesus told the disciples not to forbid him because those that are not against us are for us.

Luke 9:49-50 KJV
(49) And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
(50) And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

Mark 9:38-40 KJV
(38) And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
(39) But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
(40) For he that is not against us is on our part.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Your OP made me think of the guy casting out demons, and the disciples told him to stop because he was not a follower with them.
And Jesus told the disciples not to forbid him because those that are not against us are for us.

Luke 9:49-50 KJV
(49) And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
(50) And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

Mark 9:38-40 KJV
(38) And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
(39) But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
(40) For he that is not against us is on our part.

Looks like the power was in the name. :)

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Philippians ch. 1

In Galatians 1, Paul made very clear God's condemnation of all who teach false gospels. Here in Philippians 1, Paul acknowledges that some were preaching Christ "of envy and strife," "of contention, not sincerely" and "in pretense," evidently in order to cause him pain. Yet he says he rejoiced for it just the same since no matter what the motivation, Christ was being preached.

A few points may be drawn from this:

•Paul could not have rejoiced if any gospel other than the Gospel of grace was being preached. That means the death for sin, burial and resurrection for justification was the good news being preached, not the gospel of the Kingdom or anything else.

•Paul does not clarify whether those preaching the Gospel of grace are unsaved or simply badly motivated saved people (hard to imagine lost folks actually preaching it, but who knows). It apparently didn't matter enough to say one way or the other. It wasn't the point.

•The important point (imo) is this: that Paul rejoiced over the Gospel being preached even with bad motivations reinforces Romans 1:16. It is THE MESSAGE OF THE CROSS AND EMPTY TOMB ITSELF that is the power of God unto salvation.

•That message may be poorly, ineptly or even insincerely preached but it is still the Word of God and so can still cut deep into the soul DESPITE the preacher... whereas the flashiest, slickest, smoothest, most authoritarian and earnest preacher of an ear-tickling false gospel only damns himself and whoever believes him.

In short, this passage shows us that the real power of sound Godly preaching is not found in any human being today. It is found ONLY in the Gospel of the grace of God itself. This, I also now believe, sheds light on 2 Cor 12:9-10.

Reformers proclaim the Gospel of Grace, also, but we believe it came in the form of a Covenant, that is revealed throughout the Holy Scriptures (rather than limiting it to the teachings of Paul).

The Gospel of Grace came in the form of God promising a Saviour (first in Genesis 3:15); which promise was fulfilled with the Incarnation of Christ.

This is not a false gospel or wrong teaching. This is a FULL Gospel message.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Looks like the power was in the name. :)

Casting out demons was not a new thing in the time of Jesus, and obviously was not done only by those that accepted Christ.

When the Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out demons by the power of Beelzebub, Jesus responded by asking who's power did they use when they cast out demons.

Matthew 12:27 KJV
(27) And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.​

And then we have .....

Matthew 7:22-23 KJV​
(22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?​
(23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

And then we have some that do accept Christ and are His disciples, but they could not.

Matthew 17:14-20 KJV​
(14) And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,​
(15) Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.​
(16) And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
(17) Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.​
(18) And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.​
(19) Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
(20) And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.​

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Mark 9

23Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

24And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Reformers proclaim the Gospel of Grace, also, but we believe it came in the form of a Covenant, that is revealed throughout the Holy Scriptures (rather than limiting it to the teachings of Paul).

The Gospel of Grace came in the form of God promising a Saviour (first in Genesis 3:15); which promise was fulfilled with the Incarnation of Christ.

This is not a false gospel or wrong teaching. This is a FULL Gospel message.

The problem arises once you include your Calvinist belief system. When that occurs, the Grace Gospel as taught by Paul goes out the door.