ECT Jesus called a little child unto him

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
"Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3 (KJV)

What does this have to do with the Lord promising Peter the keys of the kingdom of heaven?

Matthew 16:19 (KJV)

HisServant

"Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3 (KJV)

What does this have to do with the Lord promising Peter the keys of the kingdom of heaven?

You are putting the cart before the horse there.... chronologically impaired are you?

Actually the lesson there is that people collect tribute from foreigners in their land so that their children may be free, so Jesus provided the tribute money.

Once again, this scripture shows just how clueless Peter was about things.
-

Danoh

He is basically relating once more the need for them to humble themselves to Him and one another in Him, the same way as the simple; fragile; precious; innocent trust of a child.

Matthew 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? 18:2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 18:5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

He'd related something similar earlier...

Matthew 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Danoh

I think that "the disciples" (Mt18:1KJV) were questioning His sovereign choice of Peter to be His vicar (Mt16:19KJV). And I think that "become as little children" (Mt18:3KJV) means, "I don't owe you an explanation."

Never mind His "Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven," explanation as what He meant; ay...

:doh:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Never mind His "Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven," explanation as what He meant; ay...

:doh:
Would the child have questioned the Lord's choice of Peter?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Depends on the particular child :chuckle:
:) This child believed in Him, Matthew 18:6 (KJV). When "they that received tribute money came" to collect money from the Lord, they, "came to Peter," Matthew 17:24 (KJV). Peter answered for the Lord, in His place. This, followed by the Lord's money-from-a-fish miracle, is what directly prompted the other disciples to challenge the Lord's choice, and ask Him, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" Matthew 18:1 (KJV)

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Would the child have questioned the Lord's choice of Peter?

Okay, I see. Children have faith and believe. It's the pinheaded hypocrites who say "Lord Lord" out of their mouths but disregard who Jesus chose as leader, and disregard the authority Jesus established. Very good. Protestants are like religious hippies: "Hey man, question authority man. Reject the man, man." That may work for manmade governments, but they reject the Truth Authority, Jesus and the Church HE established.

fzappa13

Peter and anyone else that would be converted and become as little children have the keys to the kingdom. There is and never has been any man or woman between Jesus and anyone who would accept His offering save those whom they would allow that station.

Accept no substitutes. None can save but one.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Peter and anyone else that would be converted and become as little children have the keys to the kingdom. There is and never has been any man or woman between Jesus and anyone who would accept His offering save those whom they would allow that station.

Accept no substitutes. None can save but one.

And we know what happened when Peter stuck his nose in Jesus' business. :eek:

John 21:21
Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?

John 21:22
Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?:eek: follow thou me.

John 21:23
Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? :eek:

In other words..... mind yer own business, Peter.:eek:

:idea::thumb:

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Okay, I see. Children have faith and believe. It's the pinheaded hypocrites who say "Lord Lord" out of their mouths but disregard who Jesus chose as leader, and disregard the authority Jesus established. Very good. Protestants are like religious hippies: "Hey man, question authority man. Reject the man, man." That may work for manmade governments, but they reject the Truth Authority, Jesus and the Church HE established.

The Holy Spirit spoke of your church.

1 Timothy 4

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Protestants are like religious hippies: "Hey man, question authority man. Reject the man, man." That may work for manmade governments, but they reject the Truth Authority, Jesus and the Church HE established.

No, they're found here......

2 Timothy 4

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

fzappa13

And we know what happened when Peter stuck his nose in Jesus' business. :eek:

John 21:21
Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?

John 21:22
Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?:eek: follow thou me.

John 21:23
Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? :eek:

In other words..... mind yer own business, Peter.:eek:

:idea::thumb:

Ah ... I thought you were talking about that unfortunate business concerning a certain Priest's servant.

fzappa13

... and then there is that "get thee behind me Satan" deal ... I'm sure that was a little disconcerting.