ECT What is Preterism

HisServant

Preterism is simply believing scripture... and the time frames indicated by Jesus and John.

You can be pretty much any denomination and be a Preterist.

Interplanner

That's funny.... that's exactly what a Mid-Acts dispensationalist says.

but when the mad says it he means some other location in scripture changes what is in plain sight. (Rom 1-3 'explains' Eph 3:5 ???) or that it refers to something X000 years away when the guy is desparate to have his people get it right then.

musterion

http://planetpreterist.com/content/charismatic-preterism

Striking to realize that there's really nothing to stop someone going full out charismatic if he is taken in by covenant theology, of which preterism is a branch. If one rejects the Bible's dispensational reason and timing for the Acts era miracles (which most anti-disps will do), the case is easily made that all covenant folks should seek "signs and wonders." There's no reason NOT to seek them.

The comments are as interesting as the article itself. From one comment:

"I just don't see that much Universal Application for covenantal or mystical changes, beyond Jerusalem's destruction and the Temple System being annihilated. I see little difference, from afar, between the the pre-70 AD reality (33-70 AD) and the post-70 AD reality.

"And that's why I don't rule-out Charismata or even new Canonical Scripture or Epistles on-par with that which may have written by the 13 Apostles (I'm including Matthias and Paul, not Judas)."

Wow. And here I figured Tet is a gnostic aberration for going beyond Scripture to defend his cult. Apparently not.

J.C. O'Hair warned back in the '30s that what we call charismania would eventually plague those who reject sound Bible understanding, and now I see why he said it.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
J.C. O'Hair warned back in the '30s that what we call charismania would eventually plague those who reject sound Bible understanding, and now I see why he said it.

The signs and miracles only lasted until 70AD.

The vast majority of Charismatics and Pentecostalists are Dispensationalists. You can't go to an Assembly of God church, or any other Charismatic/Pentecostal church without hearing about the rapture.

Also, you are only out to deceive. The article you linked said the following:

"Preterists believe that we now live in the everlasting kingdom of Christ. However, even with a covenant theology, many preterists are rejecting the gifts of the Spirit today on dispensational grounds, saying that the gifts were only for the dispensation of the first century."

I don't reject the gifts on "dispensational grounds", I reject them on "covenantal grounds".

Interplanner

PJ,
let's not become cases of 'positionitis'. Instead of saying so and so destroyed preterism, please say what was said.

For ex., I reposted or bumped the list of 10 propositions (exegetical conclusions) about what NT eschatology was like. One of the dimmer members here reposted the list with a NOT in each line. Duh. That is not a discussion. The question is what does the passage actually say, then, if it does not go in the direction of the proposition.

God wants us to creatively express these things. There is no 'magic' language or set of words which will ever do it once and for all time because evil and darkness are dynamic and must be countered, fresh, each generation.

That is my purpose here. No one here needs to know that the opponent of their position opposes their position, yet 90% of communication here is merely that.

It's like getting blood out of turnips. When one of the dimmer members here finally stated why they hate so many references to Josephus, it was very illuminating: 'IT (the graphic warnings) OF CHRIST DON'T NEED OUTSIDE PROOF!' (my paraphrase). So then you'd have the most unusual circumstance: a massive volume from antiquity about the greatest catastrophe of the ancient world, even with its flaws, is to be totally ignored about that event! Why? Anything for the empire of Dispensationalism! That's why. Which is a ridiculous position to get into. It is irrational, and puts the NT message into the realm of 'religion' and neo-orthodoxy.

That's the level our discussions could be instead of redundant restatement of positions.

Right Divider

Body part
but when the mad says it he means some other location in scripture changes what is in plain sight. (Rom 1-3 'explains' Eph 3:5 ???) or that it refers to something X000 years away when the guy is desparate to have his people get it right then.
It's funny to hear a preterist talk about "plain sight".

Rev 1:7 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:7) Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they [also] which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's funny to hear a preterist talk about "plain sight".

Rev 1:7 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:7) Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they [also] which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Um.....it's the Preterists who claim those who pierced Him actually did see Him come.

It's the non-Preterists who claim those who pierced Him won't actually see Him.

Once again, you prove why you are called "Wrong Divider".