WHY I AM CATHOLIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Totton Linnet View Post
    Because you have preferred a lie to the truth.
    "Ouch." ~ E.T. Jn 3:19

Comment

Originally posted by CabinetMaker View Post
      Jesus the Christ is my Lord and Savior and that is why I am a Christian.
      Check and mate. Jud 11

Comment

Originally posted by Cruciform View Post
        So, then, no actual refutation whatsoever; that's what I thought.

Your demand for a "verse" for every Christian belief and behavior rests entirely upon the heterodox 16th-century Protestant notion of sola scriptura, which is itself nowhere taught in "Scripture alone," and so which simply and directly refutes itself. Catholics do not buy into the unbiblical and invented notion of sola scriptura, and so are not required to find every belief or behavior spelled out explicitly in the Bible. Try again.

Not even close (see just above).
        So, no verse then. And that doesn't even bother you. Bothered my right out of the RCC.
        Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What are my fruits today?

Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Comment

Originally posted by serpentdove View Post
          That just gets you wet.
          According to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, perhaps, but according to the authoritative teachings of Christ's one historic Church, Baptism is the normative means of regeneration (i.e., being "born again") and initiation into the Body of Christ, the Church.
          "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

Comment

Check and mate.
            A Mormon I know also claims that "Jesus the Christ is my Lord and Savior and that is why I am a Christian." Guess it takes a bit more than merely making a claim to rightfully consider oneself a "Christian."

So much for your "Check and mate."
            "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

Comment

Originally posted by CabinetMaker View Post
              So, no verse then.
              None required, since Catholics do not follow the false and unbiblical Protestant invention known as sola scriptura. You need to have an explicit proof-text for every belief; we do not.

And that doesn't even bother you. Bothered my right out of the RCC.
              And yet you're not at all bothered that your foundational doctrine---the one on which all other doctrines are based---is itself both demonstrably irrational and entirely unbiblical. Bothered me right out of Protestantism.

Comment

[No Assurance in Infant Baptism ] According to the entirely non-authoritative opinions...
                Who cares about my opinion? What is God's opinion?

You have magnified Your word above all Your name (Ps 138:2).

Comment

A Mormon I know also claims that...Jesus the Christ is my Lord and Savior...
                  Faulty Comparison Eph 4:14

See:

Roman Catholic Church
                  Mormonism

Comment

None required, since Catholics do not follow the false and unbiblical Protestant invention known as sola scriptura. You need to have an explicit proof-text for every belief; we do not.

And yet you're not at all bothered that your foundational doctrine---the one on which all other doctrines are based---is itself both demonstrably irrational and entirely unbiblical. Bothered me right out of Protestantism.
                    It doesn't bother me to follow what Jesus actually taught. I find it sad that Catholic's don't feel the need to follow what Christ actually taught, that they comfortable following what men think Jesus should have taught.

Jesus died for the forgiveness of sins, not Mary. Jesus said to pray to His Father, not Mary. It Jesus said that, why would you ignore Him and pray to Mary? I know, I know, you don't pray to Mary. You just kneel before he'd statues with folded hands and bowed hands and ask for her to help. In essence, you ask her to manipulate her Son on your behalf.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

"Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

Comment

A Mormon I know also claims that "Jesus the Christ is my Lord and Savior and that is why I am a Christian." Guess it takes a bit more than merely making a claim to rightfully consider oneself a "Christian."

So much for your "Check and mate."
                      If your Morman friend has confessed with his mouth what he believes in his heart that Jesus is Lord, then he is saved. Who are you to judge him?

Comment

Who cares about my opinion? What is God's opinion?
                        Who cares about your opinions regarding what constitutes God's opinion? (Besides you, apparently.)

You have magnified Your word above all Your name (Ps 138:2).
                        Guess what he hasn't magnified above his name?---serpent's personal interpretations (opinions) of God's word.

Comment

Faulty Comparison.
                          In fact, it's an exact comparison. Try again.

Comment

[Ps 138:2] Guess what he hasn't magnified above his name?
                            Let the reader decide (Eph 4:14).

Comment

Faulty Comparison.
                              You removed the scripture from my quote. It is what you do.

Faulty Comparison Eph 4:14

...[I]t's an exact comparison
                              Let the reader decide.

Comment

Do you believe that the council of Trent is infallible?
                                I don't care how systematic your theology is, until you show me how biblical it is.

2 Tim 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X