ECT WHAT ACTS 2:28 REALLY MEANS !!

Danoh

The washing is done by the Holy Spirit NOT THE water.

Once again you prove that even a discarded calendar; wrong as it is for ten years straight, is right - just once - every eleven years, lol

In short, you are right; but then back to "slippin into darkness" you go - see you in another eleven years, lol

Danoh

I agree but it is done at baptism.

38Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

No; that is their Israelite water ritual.

Acts 22:

12. And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good report of all the Jews which dwelt there,
13. Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.
14. And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
15. For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
16. And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

That is an Israelite water ritual.

1 Peter 3:

18. For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19. By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20. Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

This Israelite water ritual did not really put away the filth of the flesh, rather; it symbolized the outward answer of a good conscience toward what God commanded. It symbolized the answer of a good conscience toward God by an Israelite before his nation.

Luke 7:

29. And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
30. But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

Acts 21:

18. And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present.
19. And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry.
20. And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:
21. And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the
customs.

Guess who was now perceived in need of one of Israel's "divers washings" because he had been "among the Gentiles"?

22. What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come.

Uh, oh, the Jews are comin; Paul - better wash up Paul; the answer of a good conscience before God under our Law:

23. Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;
24. Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.

Just for you Turbo:

25. As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood,
and from strangled, and from fornication.

What about for Paul?

26. Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

Water baptism, then enter the Temple and offer an animal sacrifice.

Here come the Jews!

27. And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him,
28. Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath
polluted this holy place

Paul's defense a few chapters later - Peter's "the answer of a good conscience towards God:

Acts 24:

16. And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void to offence toward God, and toward men.
17. Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings.
18. Whereupon certain Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple, neither with multitude, nor with tumult.

And all that even as a transition was taking place. As if often the case in many aspects of life.

But you two really need to study these water rituals out in the OT.

John 2:

6. And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.

turbosixx

What about for Paul?

26. Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

19For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

Paul knew the Jews wouldn't listen to a word he said if he didn't do what they expected. That is the only reason he did those things.

turbosixx

No; that is their Israelite water ritual.

Acts 22:

12. And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good report of all the Jews which dwelt there,
13. Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.
14. And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
15. For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
16. And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

1 Peter 3:

18. For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
20. Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

This Israelite water ritual did not really put away the filth of the flesh, rather; it symbolized the outward answer of a good conscience toward what God commanded. It symbolized the answer of a good conscience toward God by an Israelite before his nation.

Luke 7:

29. And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
30. But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

Acts 21:

18. And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present.
19. And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry.
20. And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:
21. And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the
customs.

Guess who was now perceived in need of one of Israel's "divers washings" because he had been "among the Gentiles"?

22. What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come.

Uh, oh, the Jews are comin; Paul - better wash up Paul; the answer of a good conscience before God under our Law:

23. Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;
24. Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.

Just for you Turbo:

25. As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood,
and from strangled, and from fornication.

What about for Paul?

Here come the Jews!

27. And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him,
28. Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath
polluted this holy place

Paul's defense a few chapters later - Peter's "the answer of a good conscience towards God:

Acts 24:

16. And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void to offence toward God, and toward men.
17. Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings.
18. Whereupon certain Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple, neither with multitude, nor with tumult.

And all that even as a transition was taking place. As if often the case in many aspects of life.

But you two really need to study these water rituals out in the OT.

John 2:

6. And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.

All the rituals that came before the D,B & R were useless under the new covenant. Even John’s baptism did nothing, that’s why Paul baptized believers again this time in Christ’s name .
Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Baptism in Jesus’ name was something new and for everyone, not just Jews.
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

turbosixx

1 Peter 3:

Is 1 Peter to Jews or Christians? What about 2 Peter?

Danoh

19For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

Paul knew the Jews wouldn't listen to a word he said if he didn't do what they expected. That is the only reason he did those things.

You keep missing my point - water baptism is an Israelite purification ritual. I know why he engaged in it; but he had to, or he would not have been allowed to be in a position where he might gain some under the Law.

Duh - they were doing that as a ritual under the Law.

You just want to hold on to your tradition.

You only claim you are here to learn, or what have you.

You are in fact doing what GT did when I asked her what her understanding was of Matthew 3's and Mark 1's "confessing their sins" referred to. She simply blabbed on and on her same old distorted view and then shut down as usual.

The answer is what Israelites like Daniel is depicted doing in Daniel 9 UNDER THE LAW.

Contrary to far too many on here, the NT (but for Paul's writings) is a further progression in the OT.

In Matthew thru John He continually expects them to know that - "what did Moses, write, command, say..." is His consistent question to them.

Danoh

Is 1 Peter to Jews or Christians? What about 2 Peter?

It is written to Messianic Jews.

Acts 2:

46. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

But ignore the rituals that participation in Temple worship involved and who was allowed.

Danoh

All the rituals that came before the D,B & R were useless under the new covenant. Even John’s baptism did nothing, that’s why Paul baptized believers again this time in Christ’s name .
Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Baptism in Jesus’ name was something new and for everyone, not just Jews.
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Put your books "about Christianity" away.

turbosixx

Contrary to far too many on here, the NT (but for Paul's writings) is a further progression in the OT.

In Matthew thru John He continually expects them to know that - "what did Moses, write, command, say..." is His consistent question to them.

The gospel was to the Jew first, they were the ones looking for the savior and they had the prophecies to prove that Jesus was the Messiah.

Paul didn't do the same?
Acts 28:22 But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against. 23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.

turbosixx

It is written to Messianic Jews.

If 1 Peter is to Messianic Jews and not everyone in Christ then Christ is divided?
1 Cor. 1:12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ." 13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Jews and Gentiles are not one new man?
Eph. 2:14For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.

Christ's blood is what joins the Gentiles in with the Jews, with no distinction.
12remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Last edited:

turbosixx

Put your books "about Christianity" away.

Not sure what you are referring to, but I only read one book. I do look up Greek words or I might google what people think of a particular verse, but I only read the bible. It explains it ‘self very well.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Hi to all and there still must confusion as to what Acs 2:38 really means !! Many believe that it is water Baptism , when it is not and why they are to Repent , and believe it is for today .

It is not for the Body of Christ , period !!

The context is to the House of Israel , verse 36 know , this Jesus Whom you have CRUCIFIED !!

Peter's words Pierced through there hearts !!\\

Verse 38 reads , And Peter declared to them , CHANGE your mind and let each of you be BAPTIZED in the name of Jesus Christ for ( the ) forgiveness of Sins , and ye Shall Receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit !!

#1 , They were given the opportunity to Repent !!

#2 , Repent of the Crucifixion of Jesus !!

#3 This means when Peter used the verb " said " it was in the Greek IMPERFECT TENSE and that means they were given a the opportunity to repent during that ONLY ONCE and Never AGAIN >

#4 And the last of the fourth verb " ye shall receive , LAMBANO is in the FUTURE TENSE as Israel REFUSED to repent and be Healed !!

#5 , This means that the Future Tense that Israel will never be healed UNTIL the end of the Great Tribulation Matt 24:27-31 and Ezek 36:24-38 !!

#6 So for today Acts 2:38 and Pentecost are OVER until the time of the Gentiles be come oin , Rom 11:25 and then God will again deal with Israel !!

Water Baptism is Over !!

dan p

Good post

Interplanner

Worthless. Written as though 2P2P was true and Dispensationalism was the first thing in Luke's mind.

all the future tense means there is the normal expression of a result of repenting right then--that the Spirit would be given so they could get going on God's mission. It has nothing to do with theological parentheses, delays, delayed programs to be enacted later etc.

Don't D'ists realize that a future Israel theocracy, as far as quotes from the apostles go, stand on 2 wobbly passages 'the times of the Gentiles' and 'you will not see me until you say...' which are only soundbytes for D'ists and 2P2Ps?

Just look at the complete statements of Rom 2 or 2 Pet 3 or Heb 9 about the future (or ABSENCE of!) and you will see what the apostles really said.

Danoh

If 1 Peter is to Messianic Jews and not everyone in Christ then Christ is divided?
1 Cor. 1:12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ." 13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Jews and Gentiles are not one new man?
Eph. 2:14For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.

Christ's blood is what joins the Gentiles in with the Jews, with no distinction.
12remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

You keep thinking in general.

The latter portion of John 1 tells you what a Messianic Jew is and what they were expected to believe about Him.

There were those.

And then there were those Jews saved after Acts 7:51. Lost Jews. Uncircumcision, per Acts 7: 51, and Romans 2:25.

Who, upon their belief of the gospel Paul preached - the same one by which he was saved - were then baptized by the Spirit into the Body.

Acts 7:51 is in light of what Matthew 12:30-32. They were cut off from what the gospel was offering before that.

Saul was saved after Acts 7:51, in Acts 9.

The seemingly odd thing is that the Lord saved him even though he had not only committed the unpardonable sin of blasphemy [resistance] against the Spirit, but had been tracking down Messianic Jews and attempting to force them to do likewise!

According to him, he was in Uncircumcision with Israel, when he was saved, Rom. 2:25; Acts 26: 9-18.

This was/is a different gospel - "of the uncircumcision," Gal. 2:7-9.

God's Truth

I agree but it is done at baptism.

You have already been shown that it is not always done at water baptism.

It can be done before water baptism, during water baptism, and after baptism.

When people went against Jesus, Jesus told them scripture could NOT be put aside.

See John 10:35.

Since the scriptures show that people can be saved before, or after a water baptism, you are going against Jesus when you say it is not done.

Just imagine how many people's testimony you are bearing false witness against.

Danoh

You have already been shown that it is not always done at water baptism.

It can be done before water baptism, during water baptism, and after baptism.

When people went against Jesus, Jesus told them scripture could NOT be put aside.

See John 10:35.

Since the scriptures show that people can be saved before, or after a water baptism, you are going against Jesus when you say it is not done.

Just imagine how many people's testimony you are bearing false witness against.

Fool, He was referring to the Law of Moses that Messianic Jews remain under, Matthew 5, Matthew 23, but that that lost Jews and Gentiles saved into the Body after Israel's fall, Acts 7:51 in light of Matthew 12:30-32, are not under, Romans 3 and Romans 6.

God's Truth

Fool, He was referring to the Law of Moses that Messianic Jews remain under, Matthew 5, Matthew 23, but that that lost Jews and Gentiles saved into the Body after Israel's fall, Acts 7:51 in light of Matthew 12:30-32, are not under, Romans 3 and Romans 6.

There is only one gospel, and you have to obey Jesus, even what he said while he walked the earth.

Interplanner

You are both making something way too complicated. It is not complicated. Jesus does not have one law for some and another for others. But he does say what kind of danger a person is when they say someone else is a fool.

Danoh is also grammatically challenged.