ECT Rightly Dividing

Jerry Shugart

The best example of 'rightly dividing' that I know of is:

And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

He correctly understood The Word of God to explain what he believed as Truth.

That is one way whereby a Jew living under the law could obtain eternal life but in order to obtain it that way one had to keep the law perfectly. And no one ever did that but the lord Jesus.

Here is another way that the Jews who lived under the law could obtain eternal life. The Lord Jesus told them the following:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

In this verse the Greek word translated "believes" and the Greek word translated "has" are both in the "present" tense.

In The Blue Letter Bible we read the following meaning of the present tense:

"The present tense represents a simple statement of fact or reality viewed as occurring in actual time. In most cases this corresponds directly with the English present tense."

Therefore, John 5:24 is saying that those who were believing at the time the Lord Jesus spoke those words had already received eternal life. That is what is meant as something being "viewed as occurring in actual time."

So once those who lived under the law believed they received received eternal life. And the receiving of it was completely apart from law keeping.

Last edited:

kayaker

Biblehub is great. I also have NKJV and Strong's KJV on my phone.

Well, you're ahead of me there, Achduke. I'm still a bit old school. I'll need stronger reading glasses to access data on my phone, LOL! That's why I tend to be off-line when out of town, unless I have my laptop. There can be rather significant differences between the translations by simply translating one word in a pivotal verse slightly differently. And, this hints at Chrys' lack of follow-through:

CHRYSOSTOM:

prior to the seventeenth century
not a single bible
had the phrase
rightly dividing

Compared to the USCCB rendering of 2Timothy 2:

Remind people of these things and charge them before God* to stop disputing about words. This serves no useful purpose since it harms those who listen.l

Be eager to present yourself as acceptable to God, a workman who causes no disgrace, imparting the word of truth without deviation.

http://www.usccb.org/bible/2timothy/2

I gather the impression the USCCB suggests one shuts the heck up, and all eye and ears are upon the Catholic elite for continuity. While the KJV suggests the quest for the "word of truth" belongs to the individual reader and the Holy Spirit (John 14:26 KJV).

Btw... the Catholics don't have a clue who the Gentiles are, either. Much less what went down in Noah's tent! Speaking of Catholics "imparting the word of truth without deviation." When one isn't in the truth, one IS the deviation, LOL!

kayaker

achduke

Well, you're ahead of me there, Achduke. I'm still a bit old school. I'll need stronger reading glasses to access data on my phone, LOL! That's why I tend to be off-line when out of town, unless I have my laptop. There can be rather significant differences between the translations by simply translating one word in a pivotal verse slightly differently. And, this hints at Chrys' lack of follow-through:

Compared to the USCCB rendering of 2Timothy 2:

I gather the impression the USCCB suggests one shuts the heck up, and all eye and ears are upon the Catholic elite for continuity. While the KJV suggests the quest for the "word of truth" belongs to the individual reader and the Holy Spirit (John 14:26 KJV).

Btw... the Catholics don't have a clue who the Gentiles are, either. Much less what went down in Noah's tent! Speaking of Catholics "imparting the word of truth without deviation." When one isn't in the truth, one IS the deviation, LOL!

kayaker

The TOL App makes it easier to read. It does need some improvements with quoting. A lot of times I write the quote tags by hand. I can also copy scripture using the share to clip board feature and then paste it into TOL.

kayaker

The TOL App makes it easier to read. It does need some improvements with quoting. A lot of times I write the quote tags by hand. I can also copy scripture using the share to clip board feature and then paste it into TOL.

Thanks for the input, Achduke... let me see if I can get my son to show me how this all goes together, then.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Acts 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

vs.

1 Timothy 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Which one is to us? It can't be both.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
You make a HUGE blunder when you assert that only some of the epistles contain doctrine for those in the Body of Christ. Let us determine to whom 1 Corinthians was addressed. Paul wrote:

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's" (1 Cor.1:2).​

All of the Jewish believers living in the first century did indeed call on the name of Jesus Christ so Paul's words in this epistle applies to them. And here is what he told every Israelite believer in every place:

"For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).​

There can be no doubt whatsoever that all those who called on the name of the Lord Jesus in every place must include all of the believers among the Israelites so they were told that they were baptized into the Body of Christ.

From this we can know that all of the believers in the first century were members of the Body of Christ so it is Romans through Jude that applies to them.

All your false teaching does is to attempt rob believers of certain truths that apply to them. Those truths are found in the book of Hebrews through Jude.

Let me see? Heir is 100% correct and Jerry is 100% wrong. There, that was easy.

Danoh

Acts 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

vs.

1 Timothy 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Are you sure those two are the same issue and not your reading your two mysteries understanding into them?

achduke

vs.

Why can they not both be for Gentiles? 1 Timothy 4:4 is talking about food that can be eaten. This does not mean all animals but those which are food. What type of food was eaten by an Israelite of the time?

Danoh

Lol, that's actually the same question from three perspectives. One different; the other two, very different.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Are you sure those two are the same issue and not your reading your two mysteries understanding into them?
Is this to you

or contrary to you?

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Colossians 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Colossians 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The only way to reconcile it is to 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV as both of them were TO members of the Body of Christ.

achduke

Is this to you

or contrary to you?

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Colossians 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Colossians 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The only way to reconcile it is to 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV as both of them were TO members of the Body of Christ.

Do you not have to be observing the things in Colossians 2:16 to be judged on them?

Also let's not forget Colossians 3:5 and Colossians 3:8.

Are they not similar to Acts 15:20?

achduke said:
Col 3:5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

Col 3:8 But now you must also put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Do you not have to be observing the things in Colossians 2:16 to be judged on them?

Also let's not forget Colossians 3:5 and Colossians 3:8.

Are they not similar to Acts 15:20?
These

were against us, contrary to us, and were taken out of the way, nailed to His cross.

When you wrongly divide the word of truth, you place yourself (a Gentile who in time past was one of these Ephesians 2:11-12 KJV) under the handwriting of ordinances even though the above happened/even though the middle wall of partition was broken down! Why would you want to do that?

Ephesians 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

Ephesians 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

achduke

These

were against us, contrary to us, and were taken out of the way, nailed to His cross.

When you wrongly divide the word of truth, you place yourself (a Gentile who in time past was one of these Ephesians 2:11-12 KJV) under the handwriting of ordinances even though the above happened/even though the middle wall of partition was broken down! Why would you want to do that?

Ephesians 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

Ephesians 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Is not Acts 15 after he had died and had risen?

If we are in the Spirit do we commit such sins as these?