ECT Forgiving and Forgiveness

brinny

'Pisteo' the Greek word translated to believe, has an implication of trust, this is where the heresy comes in, trusting is much more than believing. Im learning to trust and in this I rejoice... He's teaching me. He taught me to forgive by trusting Him.

This is a beautiful insight of how His grace works in us and for us. Yes, trust IS the key here. We've GOT to TRUST Him in all of it. When we do He mooooooves in un-believeably inexplicable ways.

Thank you for your post. I will be meditating on it this morning, and thanking God and praising Him. Just this morning, out of the blue i was prompted to reconcile with a family member before i read your post. God's timing is inexplicable and perfect.

God bless you brother in Christ and beloved son of the Most High God.

fzappa13

don't think they will forgive you for that

It is one of the more interesting aspects of the O.P. that I've tussled with over the years ... deciding whether or not we have to forgive someone if they haven't asked for said forgiveness. But, at the end of the day, somebody's got to make the first move or forgiveness, much less reconciliation, never happens I suppose.

Jesus offered many fine suggestions (some might even be so bold as to say commandments) concerning being reconciled to your brother along the way for those that will receive it. The problem is certain folks have embraced a theology that posits Jesus was talking to them but not about them.

... and then there is the matter of youth having the temerity to lecture their elders. I have noted that one of the hallmarks of this generation is a lack of respect for the council of years.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It is one of the more interesting aspects of the O.P. that I've tussled with over the years ... deciding whether or not we have to forgive someone if they haven't asked for said forgiveness.

I can't resist this

there is no scripture that suggests that we have to wait for them to ask

fzappa13

I can't resist this

there is no scripture that suggests that we have to wait for them to ask

Luke 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. 11 The Pharisee (Dispy) stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. 13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Think the "Pharisee" is forgiven?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Luke 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. 11 The Pharisee (Dispy) stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. 13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Think the "Pharisee" is forgiven?

whoa!

you are confusing the two

you have to ask
if
you want to be forgiven by God
but
you must forgive others without them asking for it

brinny

whoa!

you are confusing the two

you have to ask
if
you want to be forgiven by God
but
you must forgive others without them asking for it

Would you mind giving an example of forgiving someone without their asking for it?

Thank you kindly.

fzappa13

Col:3 13Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

brinny

"Forgive them Father for they know not what they do?"

Thank you for your response brother. However, I was asking our brother chrysostom for an example on how he has done this.

Excellent verse by the way. It would be an extraordinary Bible study. :)

God bless you, and thank you kindly.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Thank you for your response brother. However, I was asking our brother chrysostom for an example on how he has done this.

Excellent verse by the way. It would be an extraordinary Bible study. :)

you can forgive someone for what they have done to you without telling them
most of the time it is better
if
you don't tell them
they may strongly object to the idea that they harmed you

brinny

Originally Posted by brinny View Post

Excellent verse by the way. It would be an extraordinary Bible study.

you can forgive someone for what they have done to you without telling them
most of the time it is better
if
you don't tell them
they may strongly object to the idea that they harmed you

Aah, ok, i understand now. We do not disagree here, brother.

Thank you kindly for the clarity.

PureX

I think there is an aspect of forgiveness that people often overlook. And that is acquiring the habit of not taking on the offenses in the first place. After all, the term "forgiveness" does imply the giving of grace in advance of the need.

I have noticed in my own life that this does take some practice, but that over time, I do get better at it. Reminding myself, for example, when I see someone else behaving badly toward me or toward others that I have done so in the past, myself, and it's only by the grace of God that it's not me doing it, today. So that I can more easily let the offense 'wash off my back', so to speak. Even people who are habitually offensive toward others can be seen as being afflicted with a kind of spiritual illness that causes them to lash out, which makes it easier for me to disregard.

Ultimately, forgiveness is something that happens within me, and is good for me. I can hope that it serves to help the other person learn a better way of being, but I have no control over them. I can only control my own state, and barely, then, sometimes. And I find that life is so much better when I just don't take on the insults and slights and offenses of others in the first place. Then I don't have to obsess about it, struggle with it, and 'forgive them' for it, later on.

brinny

I think there is an aspect of forgiveness that people often overlook. And that is acquiring the habit of not taking on the offenses in the first place. After all, the term "forgiveness" does imply the giving of grace in advance of the need.

I have noticed in my own life that this does take some practice, but that over time, I do get better at it. Reminding myself, for example, when I see someone else behaving badly toward me or toward others that I have done so in the past, myself, and it's only by the grace of God that it's not me doing it, today. So that I can more easily let the offense 'wash off my back', so to speak. Even people who are habitually offensive toward others can be seen as being afflicted with a kind of spiritual illness that causes them to lash out, which makes it easier for me to disregard.

Ultimately, forgiveness is something that happens within me, and is good for me. I can hope that it serves to help the other person learn a better way of being, but I have no control over them. I can only control my own state, and barely, then, sometimes. And I find that life is so much better when I just don't take on the insults and slights and offenses of others in the first place. Then I don't have to obsess about it, struggle with it, and 'forgive them' for it, later on.

I heard a Bible teacher speak on something similar. She called it something like walking with "merciful attitude" or something to that effect. I get the part where you say:

Reminding myself, for example, when I see someone else behaving badly toward me or toward others that I have done so in the past, myself, and it's only by the grace of God that it's not me doing it, today. So that I can more easily let the offense 'wash off my back', so to speak. Even people who are habitually offensive toward others can be seen as being afflicted with a kind of spiritual illness that causes them to lash out, which makes it easier for me to disregard.

Edifying, brother.

Thank you kindly.