Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE UNIQUE HISTORICAL LEGACY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ECT: THE UNIQUE HISTORICAL LEGACY OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH

    Consider the following facts regarding Christ's one historic Catholic Church:

    Jesus promised, "I will build my Church [not "churchES"], and the powers of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

    The Catholic Church is the only universal Christian Church that has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian group is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant communities were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today's Protestant groups are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

    Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

    Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth century. Some even began during your lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.*


    That historical and ecclesiastical status belongs to the Catholic Church alone.



    Gaudium de veritate,

    Cruciform
    +T+



    _______
    *http://www.catholic.com/documents/pi...illar-of-truth
    Last edited by Cruciform; April 18th, 2015, 12:50 PM.
    "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

  • #2
    Which of the seven churches of Jesus Christ is the Catholic church?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jamie View Post
      Which of the seven churches of Jesus Christ is the Catholic church?
      the one built on a rock

      yes

      that is a stupid question
      a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jamie View Post
        Which of the seven churches of Jesus Christ is the Catholic Church?
        Each is a local church (parish) within the one Catholic Church that Jesus founded, just as all local parish churches (and/or dioceses) are part of Christ's one historic Catholic Church today.



        Gaudium de veritate,

        Cruciform
        +T+
        "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chrysostom View Post
          the one built on a rock

          yes

          that is a stupid question
          Yeah, right. Sometime around the 4th century.
          "That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" Philippians 2:15 (KJV)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cross Reference View Post
            Yeah, right. Sometime around the 4th century.
            The cornerstone (or foundation stone) concept is derived from the first stone set in the construction of a masonry foundation, important since all other stones will be set in reference to this stone, thus determining the position of the entire structure.
            a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

            Comment


            • #7
              "This message is hidden because Cross Reference is on your ignore list."
              "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cruciform View Post
                "This message is hidden because Cross Reference is on your ignore list."
                don't worry

                I can take care of him
                a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cross Reference View Post
                  Yeah, right. Sometime around the 4th century.
                  that's the KoolAid you've been fed



                  ___

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cruciform View Post
                    Each is a local church (parish) within the one Catholic Church that Jesus founded, just as all local parish churches (and/or dioceses) are part of Christ's one historic Catholic Church today.
                    Not true. There are only seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

                    There are not thousands of local parishes sent forth into all the earth, just seven. Is the Catholic church not one of the seven? And if it is, which one?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jamie View Post
                      Not true. There are only seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. There are not thousands of local parishes sent forth into all the earth, just seven.
                      Despite your desire to push John's apocryphal symbolism too far, the seven churches in Revelation were still local churches within the one historic Catholic Church, which certainly extended beyond Asia Minor even then.



                      Gaudium de veritate,

                      Cruciform
                      +T+
                      "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        none of those seven churches exist today
                        and
                        christians represent less than 1% of the population in the area
                        a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cruciform View Post
                          Despite your desire to push John's apocryphal symbolism too far, the seven churches in Revelation were still local churches within the one historic Catholic Church, which certainly extended beyond Asia Minor even then.
                          Nope. The seven churches of Jesus Christ are prophetic churches in the context of the Day of the Lord.

                          Which of the seven symbolic churches is the Catholic entity?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jamie View Post
                            Nope. The seven churches of Jesus Christ are prophetic churches in the context of the Day of the Lord. Which of the seven symbolic churches is the Catholic entity?
                            Already answered---and corrected---in Post #11 above.
                            "The very tradition, teaching, & faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning was preached by the Apostles & preserved by the Fathers. On this the Church was founded..." ~ St. Athanasius (4th cent.)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jamie View Post
                              Nope. The seven churches of Jesus Christ are prophetic churches in the context of the Day of the Lord.

                              Which of the seven symbolic churches is the Catholic entity?
                              why don't you go ahead and tell us?
                              a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X