ECT NO, THE BIBLE IS NOT THE CHRISTIAN'S ONLY AUTHORITY

PhilipJames

By the way, the perfect sacrifice is not the Eucharist, it was Jesus Himself.

They are one and the same. as they must be to fulfill Malachi 1:11

It is not a coincidence that our Lord offered Himself in the Eucharist on the appropriate day, at the appropriate hour as laid out here: Exodus 12:6

Do you need further evidence that the Table of the Lord is a sacrifice? 1Cor 10:16-21 compares the sacrifices of the Jews and the pagans with that of the new Covenant.

Peace!
PJ

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
To answer the question in the title can we ask:

Is the Bible the Christian's only authority?

Is the Bible an authority (for the Christian)?

Is the Bible authoritative?

DAN P

"THE BIBLE, NOT ORAL TRADITION, IS OUR ONLY AUTHORITY!"

False. Christ sent the Apostles to teach all things that He had taught them, but the Bible tells us that not all that He did was written in Scripture (Jn. 21:25). Therefore, if all is to be taught, and not all is in Scripture, part of Christian truth must be elsewhere. But where?

St. Paul tells us clearly to "stand fast and hold to the traditions which we have learned, either by word or by letter" (2 Thess. 2:14).

Thus, the Catholic Church, "the pillar and bulwark of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15), teaches that Divine Revelation is contained fully in the Word of God, which is comprised of Sacred Scripture and sacred Tradition.

http://www.StreetEvangelization.com

Hi , and if the bible is not the Word to Live by , I will become a RC !

Because , they are always EVOLVING !!

DAN P

Cruciform

Post the list of oral traditions to which Paul was referring.
Paul is referring to any and all doctrines and practices taught by the apostles and their ordained successors (the bishops) that have come down to us either by word of mouth (Tradition) or by letter (Scripture) [2 Thess. 2:15]. Essentially, Tradition consists of everything formally believed and taught by the Catholic Church over the past two millennia.

If you can't post it then Totten is correct.
Yet another Non Sequitur Fallacy by CM.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

Cross Reference

Paul is referring to any and all doctrines and practices taught by the apostles and their ordained successors (the bishops) that have come down to us either by word of mouth (Tradition) or by letter (Scripture) [2 Thess. 2:15]. Essentially, Tradition consists of everything formally believed and taught by the Catholic Church over the past two millennia.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Again, the written word of God was good enough for Jesus to place His Life in and that of humanity as well, why isn't it good enough for you? Who has bewitched you to believe otherwise??

Cruciform

How did Jesus reply to the devil's temptation is Luke and Matt 4?
Jesus' quotation of Scripture certainly does not prove sola scriptura. No one is disputing the fact that Scripture is authoritative. What we dispute is the 16th-century Protestant notion that ONLY Scripture is authoritative, a belief that is itself directly contradicted by Scripture (see this). Thus, you still have not produced a single biblical text which teaches---or even implies---sola scriptura. Try again?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruiform
+T+

Cruciform

According to the pure words of the Lord, I have ALL I NEED to be throughly furnished.
No, look at the text again. The passage says that Scripture is "useful ("profitable")" in making the man of God complete. It says nothing whatsoever about Scripture being numerically sufficient or "all we need." This assumption must be read into the text by the Protestant interpreter.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

The logical conclusion is that ONLY the traditions taught by the Apostles are valid...
"...by the apostles and their ordained successors, the bishops" (Ac. 16:4), you mean. Forgetting that is the basis of your error.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

It is not a coincidence that our Lord offered Himself in the Eucharist on the appropriate day, at the appropriate hour as laid out here: Exodus 12:6

Do you need further evidence that the Table of the Lord is a sacrifice? 1Cor 10:16-21 compares the sacrifices of the Jews and the pagans with that of the new Covenant.
All true. I highly recommend the following excellent volume on the subject:

531849_w185.png

Brant Pitre, JESUS & THE JEWISH ROOTS OF THE EUCHARIST: Unlocking the Secrets of the Last Supper (Image, 2011)

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cross Reference

Jesus' quotation of Scripture certainly does not prove sola scriptura. No one is disputing the fact that Scripture is authoritative. What we dispute is the 16th-century Protestant notion that ONLY Scripture is authoritative, a belief that is itself directly contradicted by Scripture (see this). Thus, you still have not produced a single biblical text which teaches---or even implies---sola scriptura. Try again?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruiform
+T+

You are disputing its [sola] authority.. To say you are not is a bold faced lie. However, iif you tblieve I am wrong then it should be no problem for you to give what is the break point as to when it is or isn't?? Surely you can do that, right?

<This spelling problem is not of my doing. I don't know what is happening but, I can't correct what you are viewing as spelling errors.>

Cross Reference

I did not say that the Bible wasn't God's word. I simply rejected the unbiblical notion that ONLY the Bible is God's word.

Is the pope fallible? Based upon what would you presume so __ an election by other fallible men?

If my disposition and the law of God within me are in balance to produce a holiness, of what use the pope?

Last edited:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

Peace!
PJ

NO, they are not the same. Jesys was perfect. Little wafers of plasticized bread generally served without the cheap wine are not the same as Christ's perfect sacrifice. It is foolish to think that it is given the Jesus blessed bread and wine and told His apostles to partake in memory.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You can start with the Didache here: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html .

Then I would suggest you read Polycarp, Ignatius, Clement, Justin Martyr, Iranaeus....

Get back to me when you've finished...

Peace!
PJ

This still does not answer the question I added. We want to know the specific traditions Paul was referring to. The people you referenced lived far to long after Paul to be considered reliable.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

So Totten us correct. You cannot post a list so you fail to support your position that any tradition the RCC cares to adopt is acceptable. Thank you for so clearly proving that the RCC has no idea of what traditions Paul was referring to and that the simply do not care.

Cruciform

NO, they are not the same. Jesys was perfect. Little wafers of plasticized bread generally served without the cheap wine are not the same as Christ's perfect sacrifice. It is foolish to think that it is given the Jesus blessed bread and wine and told His apostles to partake in memory.
Addressed---and corrected---here.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The scriptures as an authority for the Christian.

OR

The scriptures are the authority for the Christian.