How 2 Cor 5:19 teaches limited atonement !

beloved57

Its no secret that mans religion appeals to 2 Cor 5:19 as a proof text that the scripture teaches that Christ died for all men without exception, for it reads:

To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

The carnal religionist sees the word world here and automatically and carelessly assumes that it means everyone without exception. However the word world here is defined in a limited sense in that it does means:

kósmos (literally, "something ordered") – properly, an "ordered system" (like the universe, creation); the world.

an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, or der.

any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort

Any divinely ordered collection of particulars in the divine scheme of things is a World !

The word particulars is defined:

of or relating to a single or specific person, thing,group, class, occasion, etc., rather than to othersor all; special rather than general:

Now with this in mind, the world of 2 Cor 5:19 is particular in that none of its citizens have their sins imputed to them, which is plainly stated of them here:

"
God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them"

Which Act of God constitutes this World as a forgiven world, because we read in another place the consequence of non imputation of sin by God is this:

Rom 4:7-8

7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

That world of particular individuals in 2 Cor 5:19 is a forgiven world whose sins are covered, and God will not charge them with their sins, not ever !

Now we know this cant apply to all without exception because there are individuals God will remember their sins against them, so they are still being charged with them, here Rev 18:4-5

And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.5For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

Now these who shall have their sins remembered by God, cannot be of the World of 2 Cor 5:19, which means and confirms that the World in that scripture supports limited atonement, the reconciled world is limited to certain particulars !

Nanja

Its no secret that mans religion appeals to 2 Cor 5:19 as a proof text that the scripture teaches that Christ died for all men without exception, for it reads:

To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

The carnal religionist sees the word world here and automatically and carelessly assumes that it means everyone without exception. However the word world here is defined in a limited sense in that it does means:

kósmos (literally, "something ordered") – properly, an "ordered system" (like the universe, creation); the world.

Any divinely ordered collection of particulars in the divine scheme of things is a World !

of or relating to a single or specific person, thing,group, class, occasion, etc., rather than to othersor all; special rather than general:

Now with this in mind, the world of 2 Cor 5:19 is particular in that none of its citizens have their sins imputed to them, which is plainly stated of them here:

"
God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them"

Which Act of God constitutes this World as a forgiven world, because we read in another place the consequence of non imputation of sin by God is this:

7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

That world of particular individuals in 2 Cor 5:19 is a forgiven world whose sins are covered, and God will not charge them with their sins, not ever !

Now we know this cant apply to all without exception because there are individuals God will remember their sins against them, so they are still being charged with them, here Rev 18:4-5

And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.5For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

Now these who shall have their sins remembered by God, cannot be of the World of 2 Cor 5:19, which means and confirms that the World in that scripture supports limited atonement, the reconciled world is limited to certain particulars !

Exactly! Limited Atonement is proved by the fact that the Particulars in the Forgiven World in 2 Cor 5:19 never had any sins imputed to them, but to their Covenant Head and Surety from Everlasting Heb. 7:22; Rev. 13:8; Is. 53:6; Rom. 5:9. They were reconciled to God while being enemies and unbelievers Rom. 5:10, and where there is no sin there is no transgression, hence Justification!

2 Cor. 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

But on the other hand, the particulars in the World in Rev. 18:4-5, God has remembered their iniquities.

So scriptures clearly illustrate a Justified World which had no sin imputed to them, as opposed to a Condemned World which shall remain in their sins and pay the wages for their sin debt Rom. 6:23 themselves in the second death Rev. 21:8

beloved57

Exactly! Limited Atonement is proved by the fact that the Particulars in the Forgiven World in 2 Cor 5:19 never had any sins imputed to them, but to their Covenant Head and Surety from Everlasting Heb. 7:22; Rev. 13:8; Is. 53:6; Rom. 5:9. They were reconciled to God while being enemies and unbelievers Rom. 5:10, and where there is no sin there is no transgression, hence Justification!

2 Cor. 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

But on the other hand, the particulars in the World in Rev. 18:4-5, God has remembered their iniquities.

So scriptures clearly illustrate a Justified World which had no sin imputed to them, as opposed to a Condemned World which shall remain in their sins and pay the wages for their sin debt Rom. 6:23 themselves in the second death Rev. 21:8
Excellent Understanding! May God be praised!

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app

Robert Pate

Banned

"

2 Corinthians 5:19 teaches no such thing. you are desperate to believe John Calvins lies.

What it does teach is that Jesus is the savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

The whole world has ALREADY been reconciled unto God. God now stands with open arms to all that will receive his offer to be reconciled unto him by his Son Jesus Christ.

Nanja

Excellent Understanding! May God be praised!

Amen, may He be Praised indeed my Brother!

Just as you have shown in your excellent threads, Understanding of the true nature of Salvation, and the Covenant of Grace, Christ being Surety and Mediator from Everlasting as it is taught in scripture, will only be revealed to God's Elect.

Psalm 25:14
The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.

The secret of the Lord [is] with them that fear him,.... The secret of his purposes with them; as his purpose according to election; his resolution to redeem his chosen ones by his Son; his design to call them by his grace; his predestination of them to the adoption of children, and eternal life; which are the deep things of God the Spirit of God reveals; and all which are made manifest to them in effectual calling; and the secret of his providences is with them; some are made known to them that fear the Lord before they come to pass; as the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah to Abraham, with many other instances in the Old Testament; see Amos 3:7; and what is the book of the Revelation but a revelation of the secrets of Providence, from the time of Christ and his apostles, to the end of the world? some they observe and take notice of while they are performing, and see the gracious designs of God in them, for their good and his glory; and though some of his ways of Providence are past finding out, and his footsteps are not known as yet; hereafter his judgments will be made manifest, and the whole scene will be opened to the saints, and be clear to their view: the secret of his love, free grace, and favour, is with them, which was in his heart from everlasting, and lay hid in his thoughts, which are as much higher than ours as the heavens are higher than the earth; and which is made manifest in regeneration, and then shed abroad in the hearts of his people: secret communion with God is enjoyed by those that fear him, which is what the world knows nothing of, and the joy that results from it is what a stranger intermeddles not with; the Lord has his chambers and secret places, into which he brings them, and where they dwell. The secret of his Gospel is with them; and the mysteries of it, which were kept secret since the world began; as the mystery of a trinity of Persons in the Godhead; the union of the two natures in Christ; the regeneration of the Spirit; the union of the saints to Christ, and their communion with him; the calling of the Gentiles; the resurrection of the dead; and the change of living saints;

and he will show them his covenant: the covenant of grace, which was made with Christ for them from eternity, is made known to them in time, when they are called by the grace of God, and made partakers of the grace of the covenant, then the Lord reveals himself as their covenant God and Father; shows them that his Son is their surety, Mediator, Redeemer, and Saviour; puts his Spirit into them to implant covenant grace in them, to seal up the blessings of it to them, and bear witness to their interest in them, as pardon, justification, and adoption; and to apply the exceeding great and precious promises of it to them.

- John Gill

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are too many scriptures that show atonement was given by Christ for the whole of mankind.

Yes, Jesus died for the sins of every person who ever lived or who will ever walk the earth. The Bible tells us, “[Jesus] is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.” (1 John 2:2 NIV)

While He offers everyone forgiveness and salvation, unfortunately not everyone will accept His gifts. Jesus, God’s Son, saved the world from sin, death in hell, and the power of the devil. He did this through His own perfect life, His death, and His resurrection.

[Jesus said,]

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.” (John 3:16-18 NIV)

And a few verses later Jesus continues, saying “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life…” (John 3:36 NIV)

Many people choose not to believe in Jesus as their personal Savior from sin and an eternity in hell. But there is no other way to heaven except through faith in Him. Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6 NIV)

Jesus died for the sins of every person who ever lived—yours included! That’s how much He loves you. If you believe in Him as your Savior, full forgiveness and salvation in heaven is yours. You don’t receive those gifts by anything you do or don’t do. It’s a free gift, given by grace (undeserved love). The Bible says, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV) (From CBN.com)

beloved57

2 Corinthians 5:19 teaches no such thing. you are desperate to believe John Calvins lies.

What it does teach is that Jesus is the savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

The whole world has ALREADY been reconciled unto God. God now stands with open arms to all that will receive his offer to be reconciled unto him by his Son Jesus Christ.
Did you want to discuss the points I made with scripture?

Robert Pate

Banned
Did you want to discuss the points I made with scripture?

There is nothing to discuss, the scripture speaks for its self.

God has reconciled the world unto himself by Jesus Christ.
Not imputing their sins unto them because sin, death and the devil have been destroyed.
The Gospel is committed unto us who believe it.

beloved57

There is nothing to discuss, the scripture speaks for its self.

God has reconciled the world unto himself by Jesus Christ.
Not imputing their sins unto them because sin, death and the devil have been destroyed.
The Gospel is committed unto us who believe it.
Why are you responding if you don't want to discuss the post?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I find it interesting that B57 answers Pate and no one else. It is almost as if he is obsessed with him. Go Mr. Pate.

Robert Pate

Banned
I find it interesting that B57 answers Pate and no one else. It is almost as if he is obsessed with him. Go Mr. Pate.

B57 is under conviction. He is obsessed because he knows that the "Historical Gospel" which I believe and teach is true. But this does not mean that he will repent. It means that he is most likely a reprobate.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Our Lord's Atonement

Our Lord's Atonement

Jesus died for the sins of every person who ever lived—yours included! That’s how much He loves you.
Not a few folks react wrongly when limited atonement is mentioned, failing to see their own versions of limited atonement. Those who deny the Reformers view what Scripture teaches about limited atonement have a limited atonement of their own: some for whom Christ died are not saved by his death; His death accomplishes nothing for them. It is an ineffectual atonement, so far as they are concerned. Hence a limited atonement.

Our Lord's active and passive obedience was not to a potential end, but to an actual end.

Your view above is a general ransom view, a hypothetical universalism: Christ's death made salvation possible for everyone in the world, but it did not make salvation certain for anyone. It remains for the individual to make a free will choice whether or not to accept Christ's sacrifice. It is not the sovereign God’s providence which determines salvation, but human will.

This is contrary to numerous teachings within Scripture concerning the objects of Our Lord's atonement: John 6:37; John 6:39; John 10:29; John 17:11-12; John 17:9; John 17:22; John 18:9. For example, one cannot erroneously appeal to various 1 Tim verses about "all men" and ignore the full counsel of Scripture. These favorite "go to" verses of the anti-Reformed cannot stand alone.

We must qualify Christ's dying for the world. Christ died sufficiently for all, not effectually. There is the value of Christ's blood, and the virtue of Christ's blood. Christ's blood has value enough to redeem the whole world—but the virtue of it is applied only to such as believe. Do not go further and say that God ordains an hypothetical virtue for all men.

Hypothetical universalism teaches that God gave Jesus Christ to save all men on condition they believe; but it is clear not all men believe and will be saved. This view means that God the Father gives Jesus Christ to all men but then takes Our Lord away from some men. Christ's merits call for faith and justification but God the Father says "No" to His dearly beloved Son. Hypothetical universalism teaches that God the Father is actually not well-pleased to save all men for whom Christ died. This is a distortion of the gospel of free grace.

For me, the non-Reformed idea of an Atonement that was FOR me (and FOR all other men without distinction), but nevertheless could not be EFFECTIVE for me, depending on some factor, like my own "wise" choice, other than the will of God for my salvation, is intolerable. Given my natural condition, I need an Atonement that actually finds and saves me, not and Atonement that is mine (no less than anyone can claim) but might not finish the job.

Think about it.

AMR

Robert Pate

Banned
Not a few folks react wrongly when limited atonement is mentioned, failing to see their own versions of limited atonement. Those who deny the Reformers view what Scripture teaches about limited atonement have a limited atonement of their own: some for whom Christ died are not saved by his death; His death accomplishes nothing for them. It is an ineffectual atonement, so far as they are concerned. Hence a limited atonement.

Our Lord's active and passive obedience was not to a potential end, but to an actual end.

Your view above is a general ransom view, a hypothetical universalism: Christ's death made salvation possible for everyone in the world, but it did not make salvation certain for anyone. It remains for the individual to make a free will choice whether or not to accept Christ's sacrifice. It is not the sovereign God’s providence which determines salvation, but human will.

This is contrary to numerous teachings within Scripture concerning the objects of Our Lord's atonement: John 6:37; John 6:39; John 10:29; John 17:11-12; John 17:9; John 17:22; John 18:9. For example, one cannot erroneously appeal to various 1 Tim verses about "all men" and ignore the full counsel of Scripture. These favorite "go to" verses of the anti-Reformed cannot stand alone.

We must qualify Christ's dying for the world. Christ died sufficiently for all, not effectually. There is the value of Christ's blood, and the virtue of Christ's blood. Christ's blood has value enough to redeem the whole world—but the virtue of it is applied only to such as believe. Do not go further and say that God ordains an hypothetical virtue for all men.

Hypothetical universalism teaches that God gave Jesus Christ to save all men on condition they believe; but it is clear not all men believe and will be saved. This view means that God the Father gives Jesus Christ to all men but then takes Our Lord away from some men. Christ's merits call for faith and justification but God the Father says "No" to His dearly beloved Son. Hypothetical universalism teaches that God the Father is actually not well-pleased to save all men for whom Christ died. This is a distortion of the gospel of free grace.

For me, the non-Reformed idea of an Atonement that was FOR me (and FOR all other men without distinction), but nevertheless could not be EFFECTIVE for me, depending on some factor, like my own "wise" choice, other than the will of God for my salvation, is intolerable. Given my natural condition, I need an Atonement that actually finds and saves me, not and Atonement that is mine (no less than anyone can claim) but might not finish the job.

Think about it.

AMR

To embrace the doctrine that Jesus only atoned for some sins and not all sins carries with it some serious repercussions.

For one thing it means that Jesus is not Lord and should be removed from his position at the right hand of God as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Jesus plainly said, "For if you believe NOT that I am he (Lord) or (God) you shall die in your sins" John 8:24.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Robert Pate Fails to Let Scripture Speak for Itself

Robert Pate Fails to Let Scripture Speak for Itself

To embrace the doctrine that Jesus only atoned for some sins and not all sins carries with it some serious repercussions.

For one thing it means that Jesus is not Lord and should be removed from his position at the right hand of God as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Jesus plainly said, "For if you believe NOT that I am he (Lord) or (God) you shall die in your sins" John 8:24.
Not at all, Robert. As we find in John's Revelation every knee will bow to Our Lord, no matter believer or not. And, those that deny Our Lord, as in John 8:24, only give evidence to the justification of God in their condemnation.

There is but one Savior of the whole world...all peoples of every stripe, Robert...Our Lord Jesus Christ. Not alternative Saviors, like Buddha, Moon Beams, or Mohammed. Only One Mediator. That is the meaning of Scripture when it speaks along these lines. You fail to grasp this and import hypothetical universalism into your interpretations because you elevate the will of men who purportedly are able to choose "wisely" and rob God of His glory.

The anti-Calvinist canard, "I am special, for I am elect!" falls empty in the face of your "I am special, for I chose wisely while my neighbor did not!". Instead take immense comfort and awe in the revelation that God set His saving preference upon a great multitude no man can number before time began. None so granted this preference will be lost to Him, unlike your view, which has Our Lord's work denuded in favor of the will of men.

The Apostle John wrote of Christ’s work at Calvary as a propitiation- “And He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.” (1 John 2:2)

John didn’t write that Christ was trying to be the “propitiation” (satisfaction to both the penalty and precept of God’s holy law) for every man, woman and child. Rather, John clearly declared Christ “is” the “propitiation for our sins.” (Those Christ represented.). When we read of propitiation in Scripture, it always involves perfect satisfaction and reconciliation through an appropriate sacrifice. The Greek word for “propitiation” is used three times in the New Testament, and in every case it always declares Christ and His righteousness alone as the hope of our being propitiated (declared legally righteous and holy) to God (Romans 3:25; 1 John 2:2; 1 John 4:10).

Our Lord makes it even more pointed:
"But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep" (John 10:26).

The Shepherd knows who are His sheep. If a prerequisite (that you will claim) for believing is being the sheep, and knowing that Christ said He lays His life down for the sheep, yet, He tells the Jews here that they are not of His sheep, would this not conclude that Christ is saying, "I am not going to lay my life down for you since you are not of my sheep"? I don't see how any clearer Our Lord can be in John 10 about for whom He is laying his life down. I would hope when you, Robert, partake of the Supper that you do not say at the Lord's Table: "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for EVERYONE IN THE WORLD,..."" Sigh.

Given your appeal to Revelation, why not let the text speak for itself? When we want to discover what was meant by our Lord's sacrifice for the "whole world" or "all men", we need only look to the final book of Scripture, which explains what "all" and "world" mean as relates to salvation: And they sang a new song, saying,

"Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from
every tribe and language and people and nation, (Rev 5:9).

All men of every stripe, Robert. Not each and every person who has or will ever live.

Trying to force this clear teaching to read "each and every person" is just plain entrenchment in an erroneous view read into what Scripture is clearly not teaching.

AMR

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
Not at all, Robert. As we find in John's Revelation every knee will bow to Our Lord, no matter believer or not. And, those that deny Our Lord, as in John 8:24, only give evidence to the justification of God in their condemnation.

There is but one Savior of the whole world...all peoples of every stripe, Robert...Our Lord Jesus Christ. Not alternative Saviors, like Buddha, Moon Beams, or Mohammed. Only One Mediator. That is the meaning of Scripture when it speaks along these lines. You fail to grasp this and import hypothetical universalism into your interpretations because you elevate the will of men who purportedly are able to choose "wisely" and rob God of His glory.

The anti-Calvinist canard, "I am special, for I am elect!" falls empty in the face of your "I am special, for I chose wisely while my neighbor did not!". Instead take immense comfort and awe in the revelation that God set His saving preference upon a great multitude no man can number before time began. None so granted this preference will be lost to Him, unlike your view, which has Our Lord's work denuded in favor of the will of men.

The Apostle John wrote of Christ’s work at Calvary as a propitiation- “And He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.” (1 John 2:2)

John didn’t write that Christ was trying to be the “propitiation” (satisfaction to both the penalty and precept of God’s holy law) for every man, woman and child. Rather, John clearly declared Christ “is” the “propitiation for our sins.” (Those Christ represented.). When we read of propitiation in Scripture, it always involves perfect satisfaction and reconciliation through an appropriate sacrifice. The Greek word for “propitiation” is used three times in the New Testament, and in every case it always declares Christ and His righteousness alone as the hope of our being propitiated (declared legally righteous and holy) to God (Romans 3:25; 1 John 2:2; 1 John 4:10).

Our Lord makes it even more pointed:
"But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep" (John 10:26).

The Shepherd knows who are His sheep. If a prerequisite (that you will claim) for believing is being the sheep, and knowing that Christ said He lays His life down for the sheep, yet, He tells the Jews here that they are not of His sheep, would this not conclude that Christ is saying, "I am not going to lay my life down for you since you are not of my sheep"? I don't see how any clearer Our Lord can be in John 10 about for whom He is laying his life down. I would hope when you, Robert, partake of the Supper that you do not say at the Lord's Table: "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for EVERYONE IN THE WORLD,..."" Sigh.

Given your appeal to Revelation, why not let the text speak for itself? When we want to discover what was meant by our Lord's sacrifice for the "whole world" or "all men", we need only look to the final book of Scripture, which explains what "all" and "world" mean as relates to salvation: And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation[/i], (Rev 5:9). All men of every stripe, Robert. Not each and every person who has or will ever live.

Trying to force this clear teaching to read "each and every person" is just plain entrenchment in an erroneous view read into what Scripture is clearly not teaching.

AMR

Salvation is a FREE GIFT from God, Ephesians 2:8. Not for just "Some Certain Persons" but for the whole world.

"God so loved the world". Not just "Some Certain Persons" So that... "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

God imposes salvation on no one. If you want to be saved, you will have to come to him as a repentant sinner and ask him to save you.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Robert Pate Blogs But Has No Intention of Interacting

Robert Pate Blogs But Has No Intention of Interacting

Salvation is a FREE GIFT from God, Ephesians 2:8. Not for just "Some Certain Persons" but for the whole world.

"God so loved the world". Not just "Some Certain Persons" So that... "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

God imposes salvation on no one. If you want to be saved, you will have to come to him as a repentant sinner and ask him to save you.

Maybe Robert is a computer program:

IF response_from_AMR
call(random_antiCalvinist_quote)
ELSE
call(next_blog_post_newthread)
END

AMR

Anyone actually home, Robert?

AMR

Last edited: