Please help me interpret Genesis 1:27

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Genesis 1:27New International Version (NIV)

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

I have been told that it is blasphemy to say that Our Creator God has a female aspect.

So I am stuck, how can I interpret this scripture on the very first page of the Bible?

To me this is core scripture, it tells us about ourselves and God. It is foundational, upon which all further knowledge will sit on.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

beameup

Eve was "taken out of" Adam.

And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. - Genesis 2:22-23

So, in the resurrection, will the DNA be like the "original Adam's" DNA?

Last edited:

SonOfCaleb

I have been told that it is blasphemy to say that Our Creator God has a female aspect.

So I am stuck, how can I interpret this scripture on the very first page of the Bible?

To me this is core scripture, it tells us about ourselves and God. It is foundational, upon which all further knowledge will sit on.

Man was created in the image of God. Woman was created in the image of man. Ultimately spirit beings are 'sexless'. That said every time a spirit or angel materialised in human form in the Bible it was always as a male and never as a female. Regardless Jehovah is the creator of both sexes.
Either way its impossible for humans to know the complete nature of God in a corporeal sense as he's not a corporeal being. The Bible is extensive in terms of how it describes Gods attributes, love, justice, righteousness, holiness, humility etc. I'm not sure what you mean by 'aspect' but God is not of a sex as i explained earlier. So whomever you're speaking to seems misinformed. Either way both man and woman magnify all the spiritual and human attributes (not in a physical sense) that were given to us by God.

oatmeal

God is spirit, John 4:24 the image of God is spirit.

spirit is neither male nor female.

However, let us look a little deeper.

Is being kind a male or female attribute?

How about being nurturing?

How about being loving?

How about forgiveness?

SonOfCaleb

What does that say about the image of God?

Nothing at all. God didn't need to take anything from Adam in order to create Eve. After all Adam was made from the dirt and he could easily have created Eve the same way. The use of Adams rib in the creation of Eve was symbolic. And symbolises the close and tight bond of union between a man and woman in marriage that was impressed upon Adam which is what moved him to say in the worlds first recorded poetry in Genesis 2:23-24
"Then the man said: “This is at last bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh. This one will be called Woman, Because from man she was taken.”
24 That is why a man will leave his father and his mother and he will stick to his wife, and they will become one flesh

Eve of course being created in the image or glory of Adam or man.

beameup

RE: the resurrection - Mark 12:25
For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry,
nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

So, in the resurrection, will the DNA be like the "original" Adam's DNA?

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Man was created in the image of God. Woman was created in the image of man.
That contradicts Gen 1:27

Ultimately spirit beings are 'sexless'.
Not one or the other - must be both.

That said every time a spirit or angel materialised in human form in the Bible it was always as a male and never as a female.
Yes, it even says his/him when talking about the disciple Yeshua loved. That is now accepted to be Mary Magdalen, right? Just part of the overall male bias no?

Regardless Jehovah is the creator of both sexes.
Either way its impossible for humans to know the complete nature of God in a corporeal sense as he's not a corporeal being.
Intellectually Yes, agreed.

The Bible is extensive in terms of how it describes Gods attributes, love, justice, righteousness, holiness, humility etc. I'm not sure what you mean by 'aspect' but God is not of a sex as i explained earlier. So whomever you're speaking to seems misinformed. Either way both man and woman magnify all the spiritual and human attributes (not in a physical sense) that were given to us by God.

So your saying it would be equally blasphemous to say God is a man or has any male aspects?

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
God is spirit, John 4:24 the image of God is spirit.

spirit is neither male nor female.

However, let us look a little deeper.

Is being kind a male or female attribute?

How about being nurturing?

How about being loving?

How about forgiveness?

Both sexes can be kind but I think we do it differently.

Isn't a woman better to comfort a small child?

Isn't a man better at inspiring a bored teenager?

Not just better but also yearn to do it...?

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Nothing at all.

I agree.

God didn't need to take anything from Adam in order to create Eve. After all Adam was made from the dirt and he could easily have created Eve the same way. The use of Adams rib in the creation of Eve was symbolic. And symbolises the close and tight bond of union between a man and woman in marriage that was impressed upon Adam which is what moved him to say in the worlds first recorded poetry in Genesis 2:23-24

Eve of course being created in the image or glory of Adam or man.

Interesting viewpoint but doesn't shine any light on Gen 1:27.

SonOfCaleb

That contradicts Gen 1:27

It doesnt. As the scripture clearly states that man/Adam was created in the 'image' of God. Woman/Eve conversely was not.

Not one or the other - must be both.
No. Spirits have no sex as i explained already. You cant apply human constructs to the spirit realm or spirit beings who do note operate under the same conditions as ourselves. As i said already spirits are not corporeal so you cant apply human or fleshly conditions to them.

Yes, it even says his/him when talking about the disciple Yeshua loved. That is now accepted to be Mary Magdalen, right? Just part of the overall male bias no?

No. The disciple Jesus said he had love for specifically was John. That has no relavence to your question though. The male bias -as you put it- is because God created man in his image. Therefore angels when they materialise always used the male form.

So your saying it would be equally blasphemous to say God is a man or has any male aspects?

I don't know specifically what you mean by aspect. Either way i think the premise of the question and the assumption is nonsensical and also irrelavent. As God is neither male or female. His qualitys though can be found in both sexes as ultimately he created both. Thus the point you're trying to drive home seems illogical to me.

Last edited:

oatmeal

Both sexes can be kind but I think we do it differently.

Isn't a woman better to comfort a small child?

Isn't a man better at inspiring a bored teenager?

Not just better but also yearn to do it...?

God being spirit is not hindered by fleshly limitations.

We are to become spiritually minded Romans 8

When we do we will do what is necessary to serve God, whether it an act or kindness, nurturing....

Yes, women are wired differently than men but we learn to serve God spiritually. The fruit of the spirit is non gender. Galatians 5:22-23

Love is love whether it is love from a woman or a man or God.

All good qualities that believing men and women of God develop originate from God, who is spirit.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Please help me interpret Genesis 1:27

His qualitys though can be found in both sexes as ultimately he created both.
Yes.

Thus the point you're trying to drive home seems illogical to me.

That in Gen 1 they are created together, in the image of God but in Gen 2 it is altogether different.

Which is truer?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

We are not born male and female, we are born male or female for the purpose of biological reproduction.

For spiritual reproduction the Father does not utilize sex. He starts with a male or a female and goes from there.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
We are not born male and female, we are born male or female for the purpose of biological reproduction.

For spiritual reproduction the Father does not utilize sex. He starts with a male or a female and goes from there.

Would you be happy to call God, 'the Parent' rather than, 'the Father'?

So all the masculinity and femininity in nature is purely for procreation? On Earth as in Heaven; does that not apply here?

I put it that we have much to learn about the differences between men and women, as it will help us see qualities of the soul/spirit.

CherubRam

All men and women are more or less masculine and feminine. The bible repeatedly states that God is a male.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
God being spirit is not hindered by fleshly limitations.

We are to become spiritually minded Romans 8

When we do we will do what is necessary to serve God, whether it an act or kindness, nurturing....

Yes, women are wired differently than men but we learn to serve God spiritually. The fruit of the spirit is non gender. Galatians 5:22-23

Love is love whether it is love from a woman or a man or God.

All good qualities that believing men and women of God develop originate from God, who is spirit.

Thank you.

What do you think about Mark 10:8 the 2 becoming one flesh?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So all the masculinity and femininity in nature is purely for procreation? On Earth as in Heaven; does that not apply here?

"So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them. Then God blessed them and God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply...'"

To be fruitful and multiply requires both sexes. Both male and female are in his image with the necessary anatomical differences to reproduce.

Both were given dominion over the earth and its lifeforms.

Sex is not part of the spiritual dimension. In the spiritual context only the Father and the Son can impart life.

Jesus is the last Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.