Christ's Resurrected Body

WeberHome

-
The Watch Tower Society says that Christ's crucified body is still dead and its remains are squirreled away somewhere on earth in a condition, and a location, known only to God.

Opinion among traditional Christians vary. Some say Christ's crucified body was restored to life normally; viz: in a manner consistent with the other resurrections described in the Bible; while others say Christ's crucified body came back to life as a so called glorified body.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

themuzicman

1 Cor 15: If Christ is not resurrected, then your faith is in vain.

The bible is clear that Christ still had the wounds on his hands and feet when he was resurrected.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
There is a natural body and there is a spiritual body. (1 Corinthians 15:44)

Spiritual bodies are interdimensional.

WeberHome

Is that supposed to prove that Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christians?

Were you to ask door-to-door Watchtower Society missionaries if they believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, I can assure you they would answer in the affirmative. However, what you may not know is that you and they would not be on the same page as the conversation would be talking about two very different processes that go by the same name. In other words: you would find yourself thrown off by semantic double speak.

The traditional Christian understanding of Christ's resurrection is common throughout the gospels; viz: Jesus Christ died as a physical human being and he came back as a physical human being.

However; according to the Watch Tower Society; Christ didn't physically rise from the dead at all; and here's why.

In Watch Tower Society theology, an angel named Michael volunteered to come to the earth to die for humanity's sins. But in order to do so; he had to relinquish his angel existence to become a human being seeing as how in Society theology it is impossible for someone to exist as a spirit being and a human being simultaneously. Thus when Michael's so-called "life force" was transferred to flesh and given the name Jesus; he became not only a different species of life, but a whole other person too.

Did the human Jesus really show himself alive by many positive proofs after he had suffered? Not according to the Watch Tower Society. In their theology, Michael the angel showed himself alive by means of a materialized body that resembled the human Jesus in every way-- nail prints and spear wound to boot. It was necessary to utilize an avatar because the human Jesus had to stay dead in order for the angel Michael to regain his angel existence.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

WeberHome

There is a natural body and there is a spiritual body. (1 Corinthians 15:44) Spiritual bodies are interdimensional.

Watch as I misquote 1Cor 15:44 because the difference, though subtle. is significant.

"It is sown a physical body, it is raised up a spirit body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spirit one."

No; it doesn't say spirit body but nevertheless that's what some people have decided it ought to say.

The Greek word translated "spiritual" is ambiguous. It doesn't necessarily refer to the characteristics of a body with the consistency of thin air. Below is a list of spiritual things that bear absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the bodily chemistry of an angel or a demon.

Spiritual gifts (Rom 1:11)
Spiritual law (Rom 7:14)
Spiritual things (Rom 15:27)
Spiritual people (1Cor 2:15)
Spiritual nourishment (1Cor 10:3)
Spiritual water (1Cor 10:4)
Spiritual rock (1Cor 10:4)
Spiritual blessings (Eph 1:3)
Spiritual music (Eph 5:19)
Spiritual understanding (Col 1:9)
Spiritual housing (1Pet 2:5)
Spiritual sacrifices (1Pet 2:5)

I sincerely believe that the spiritual body spoken of at 1Cor 15:44 is in no way composed of a gaseous substance. Of what material it is composed I don't know; but I do know at least four things about it.

1• The spiritual body is patterned after Christ's body.

†. Phil 3:20-21 . .Our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

2• The spiritual body is capable of dining upon ordinary foods.

†. Luke 22:15-16 . . I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you: I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.

3• The spiritual body is capable of imbibing ordinary beverages.

†. Matt 26:29 . . I tell you: I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom.

4• The spiritual body is capable of being seen by the naked eye.

†. Acts 1:11 . . Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched him go into heaven.

†. Rev 1:7 . . Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
4• The spiritual body is capable of being seen by the naked eye.

Paul said, "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. (1 Timothy 1:17)

Paul's context refers to the King as God, and so he is.

WeberHome

Paul said, "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. (1 Timothy 1:17) Paul's context refers to the King as God, and so he is.

Since it is very easy to prove that Christ's spiritual body is solid rather than gaseous, and that it's visible to the naked eye; then the sensible approach is to accept that the king spoken of in that passage is God Himself rather than Christ. In point of fact; God Himself was the eternal king before Christ was born.

†. Ps 10:16 . . Yhvh is King for ever and ever

†. Ps 29:10 . .Yhvh sits as King forever.

God Himself for sure is invisible.

†. John 4:24 . . God is spirit

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

themuzicman

Not only is that completely ripped out of context, it contradicts the text from which it was taken.

A spiritual body is one that is incorruptible and immortal, not "interdimensional"

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Not only is that completely ripped out of context, it contradicts the text from which it was taken.

A spiritual body is one that is incorruptible and immortal, not "interdimensional"

A natural body exists only in the physical dimension, but a spiritual body can exist in the spiritual dimension or the physical dimension.

So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb. And He took it and ate in their presence. (Luke 24:42-43)​

Ben Masada

There is no spiritual body. If you read James 2:26, faith without the Law is akin to a dead body without the breath of life. (Gen. 2:7) We have either a living body with the breath of life or a living soul which is what we must be. When the Lord formed man from the dust of the earth, He breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and we became a living soul. That's what we are, a living soul.

WeberHome

When the Lord formed man from the dust of the earth, He breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and we became a living soul.

†. 1Cor 15:45-50 . . It is even so written: "The first man Adam became a living soul.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. Nevertheless, the first is, not that which is spiritual, but that which is physical, afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is out of the earth and made of dust; the second man is out of heaven.

I think what that passage essentially does is identify Christ as the Word of John 1:1-4 and John 1:14

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life;"

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us."

So then: Christ didn't become a life-giving spirit after his resurrection: no, he was a life-giving spirit all along; even before the construction of the cosmos with all of its forms of life, matter, and energy.

Another thing 1Cor 15:45-50 does is prove that it's possible for someone to exist as a human being and as a spirit being simultaneously. The reason I say that is because the kind of life that's in the Word is the very same kind of life that's in God.

†. John 5:26 . . Just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He gave to the Son also to have life in Himself

The kind of life that's in the Father is eternal life; which is impervious to death. So then: when the Word became flesh, his spirit existence wasn't terminated in order to make it possible for him to do so. No, the Word continued to exist as spirit all the while he existed as flesh.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

WeberHome

The penalty for sin is the second death. (Matthew 10:28)

It's considered poor netiquette to digress from a thread's topic. Please restrict your comments to things related to Christ's resurrected body.

-=========================

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It's considered poor netiquette to digress from a thread's topic. Please restrict your comments to things related to Christ's resurrected body.

My response was to post #10 which is directly related to Jesus' resurrected body. I suspect it just went over your head.

themuzicman

So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: “For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” (Genesis 32:30)

Again, nothing interdimensional, here. No suggestion of some other kind of body.

When Jesus was on the earth, did he have a human body just like ours?