Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the church

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Right Divider View Post
    These crazy RC's think that Jesus was going to build His church on a tiny pebble.
    Okay, now I finally experienced a true laughing out loud moment.

    Thanks.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!

    Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Right Divider View Post
      These crazy RC's think that Jesus was going to build His church on a tiny pebble.
      How about this, the Catholics think they are the church and that the gates of Hell will not over come it. LOL

      Tell me, is the Catholic church trying to get into Hell?

      How are they the church that is spoken of unless they are trying to get in Hell?

      Or, are they in Hell and are trying to get out?

      Jesus is the one after dying on the cross who went to Hell and the gates of Hell could not keep him there!

      Amen.
      Oh how I love the Word of God!

      Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by God's Truth View Post
        How about this, the Catholics think they are the church and that the gates of Hell will not over come it. LOL

        Tell me, is the Catholic church trying to get into Hell?

        How are they the church that is spoken of unless they are trying to get in Hell?

        Or, are they in Hell and are trying to get out?

        Jesus is the one after dying on the cross who went to Hell and the gates of Hell could not keep him there!

        Amen.
        The verse says "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." A normal person would read that as saying that Hell will try to destroy it, but that Hell will never win.

        It's like saying "Christ overcame death." Was he trying to die? Was he wanting to die? Was he wanting to stay dead? Your inferences are without a foundation and illogical.


        Sent from my iPhone using TOL

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jsanford108 View Post
          The verse says "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." A normal person would read that as saying that Hell will try to destroy it, but that Hell will never win.

          It's like saying "Christ overcame death." Was he trying to die? Was he wanting to die? Was he wanting to stay dead? Your inferences are without a foundation and illogical.


          Sent from my iPhone using TOL
          You are trying to be insulting.

          Jesus went to Hell and the gates of Hell could not keep him there.

          Jesus is the church.

          The Catholic denomination is not the church and for the gates of Hell not prevailing is about not being able to keep something in Hell.

          Think about it some more...gates keep people in or out. Do you think the gates are trying to keep the Catholic church out or in? lol
          Oh how I love the Word of God!

          Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by God's Truth View Post
            You are trying to be insulting.

            Jesus went to Hell and the gates of Hell could not keep him there.

            Jesus is the church.

            The Catholic denomination is not the church and for the gates of Hell not prevailing is about not being able to keep something in Hell.

            Think about it some more...gates keep people in or out. Do you think the gates are trying to keep the Catholic church out or in? lol
            GT, I truly enjoy conversing with you (most of the time). I feel that you usually make at least well formed arguments. I assure you, I am not being insulting. My insults are usually creatively lame and dumb. Just to be honest.

            Where in the Bible does it say Jesus is the Church?

            That would not make sense to say He is the Church. He even says He will be coming back for His Church. So how can He come back for Himself? That is paradoxical.

            To say that the gates of Hell are trying to keep Catholics out is an excellent point. Gates are made as a defense. We, all Christians, should be trying to conquer and destroy Hell by our witnessing for Christ. So yes, the gates could be viewed as trying to keep Catholics out. I know you were trying to make a snide joke about Catholics wanting in/out, but basic battle defense techniques and structural knowledge proved to be the comment's undoing.

            And I am in agreement with you on one point. The "gates of hell shall not prevail against it" is not about keeping something in hell. Rather, it is about hell trying to destroy the subject (which is the Church). I would even accept if you believed the church was a mystical body, as opposed to a physical and metaphysical body, and saying that hell shall not prevail against it. Just adding in that little bit since many Protestants ascribe to that ideology.


            Sent from my iPhone using TOL

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jsanford108 View Post
              GT, I truly enjoy conversing with you (most of the time). I feel that you usually make at least well formed arguments. I assure you, I am not being insulting. My insults are usually creatively lame and dumb. Just to be honest.

              Where in the Bible does it say Jesus is the Church?

              Colossians 1:24
              Now I rejoice in my sufferings for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body, which is the church.

              Originally posted by jsanford108 View Post

              That would not make sense to say He is the Church. He even says He will be coming back for His Church. So how can He come back for Himself? That is paradoxical.
              Colossians 1:24
              Now I rejoice in my sufferings for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body, which is the church.
              Oh how I love the Word of God!

              Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jsanford108 View Post


                To say that the gates of Hell are trying to keep Catholics out is an excellent point. Gates are made as a defense. We, all Christians, should be trying to conquer and destroy Hell by our witnessing for Christ. So yes, the gates could be viewed as trying to keep Catholics out. I know you were trying to make a snide joke about Catholics wanting in/out, but basic battle defense techniques and structural knowledge proved to be the comment's undoing.

                And I am in agreement with you on one point. The "gates of hell shall not prevail against it" is not about keeping something in hell. Rather, it is about hell trying to destroy the subject (which is the Church). I would even accept if you believed the church was a mystical body, as opposed to a physical and metaphysical body, and saying that hell shall not prevail against it. Just adding in that little bit since many Protestants ascribe to that ideology.
                I do not believe like Protestants.

                Jesus went to Hell and the gates of Hell could not keep him there.
                Oh how I love the Word of God!

                Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by God's Truth View Post
                  Colossians 1:24
                  Now I rejoice in my sufferings for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body, which is the church.



                  Colossians 1:24
                  Now I rejoice in my sufferings for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body, which is the church.
                  Just a quick question. Do you believe in the hypostatic nature of Christ?


                  Sent from my iPhone using TOL

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jsanford108 View Post
                    Just a quick question. Do you believe in the hypostatic nature of Christ?


                    Sent from my iPhone using TOL
                    Admit you were corrected and show that you are glad to know the truth better.
                    Oh how I love the Word of God!

                    Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by God's Truth View Post
                      Admit you were corrected and show that you are glad to know the truth better.
                      I wasn't corrected. Many times, the Church is called the Body of Christ, due to our union with Him. A body is physical in nature. The verse from Colossians just goes to prove this.

                      Using the term as seen in Colossians makes sense. It is comparable to calling Christ "the Lamb." He isn't a literal physical lamb. Rather an embodiment of the sacrificial offerings of the Old Testament. Calling the Church the Body of Christ doesn't mean that every time Christ says "my body" He is referring to the Church. Christians become a member of Christ's "body," unified in Him.

                      All of this only makes sense if you believe in the hypostatic nature of Christ, as well as the entirety of the Bible.


                      Sent from my iPhone using TOL

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by God's Truth View Post
                        Admit you were corrected and show that you are glad to know the truth better.
                        Christ is not the Church. There is no logical way that one can derive that from any Scriptural basis. As illustrated by my lovely tangent.


                        Sent from my iPhone using TOL

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jsanford108 View Post
                          Christ is not the Church. There is no logical way that one can derive that from any Scriptural basis. As illustrated by my lovely tangent.
                          Colossians 1:24
                          Now I rejoice in my sufferings for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body, which is the church.

                          Believe what is plainly written.

                          The Bible says Jesus is the church, and is it not evil to say no it isn't?
                          Oh how I love the Word of God!

                          Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by God's Truth View Post
                            Colossians 1:24
                            Now I rejoice in my sufferings for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body, which is the church.

                            Believe what is plainly written.

                            The Bible says Jesus is the church, and is it not evil to say no it isn't?
                            Luke 22:19
                            And He took bread, and gave thanks, and broke it, and gave it unto them saying, "This is my Body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me."

                            These are the words of Christ. Christ is saying that the bread is His Body, further prophesying His death.

                            Now do you believe the words of Christ or Paul?

                            If you believe Christ Himself, then my explanation of Colossians makes more sense.

                            Or we could apply your logic. The Bread = Christ's Body, Christ's Body = the church, therefore the Bread = the church. Seems rather illogical doesn't it.


                            Sent from my iPhone using TOL

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jsanford108 View Post
                              Luke 22:19
                              And He took bread, and gave thanks, and broke it, and gave it unto them saying, "This is my Body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me."

                              These are the words of Christ. Christ is saying that the bread is His Body, further prophesying His death.

                              Now do you believe the words of Christ or Paul?

                              If you believe Christ Himself, then my explanation of Colossians makes more sense.

                              Or we could apply your logic. The Bread = Christ's Body, Christ's Body = the church, therefore the Bread = the church. Seems rather illogical doesn't it.


                              Sent from my iPhone using TOL
                              What you said has nothing to do with the truth.

                              You put down Paul which shows you know nothing.
                              Oh how I love the Word of God!

                              Don't just hear the word and believe it---do it.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by God's Truth View Post
                                What you said has nothing to do with the truth.

                                You put down Paul which shows you know nothing.
                                I quoted you the words of Christ, Himself. Yet you dismiss them, in favor of a flawed theory based on Paul's teaching (which is extrapolated out of context).

                                You dismissed Christ. Seems a little worse on your part.


                                Sent from my iPhone using TOL

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X