No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So it is your position then that Exodus 21:17 KJV should be the law of the land? " . . . he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death." Or is it just "kgov's" position, and not yours?

It is neither my position nor kgov's.

The point was that Jesus affirmed the death penalty. Paul affirmed the death penalty.

"By two or three witnesses a matter is established" (paraphrasing, obviously).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh, please. The intent of spanking/beating/belting is to inflict pain.

No it doesn't. It teaches him to fear the one who can hurt him.

Eh. Never mind. We're not getting anywhere on this.
Here's a link to a sum of studies on the efficacy of physical punishment (link). The research seems fairly one-sided in conclusion.

From that article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal in conjunction with JAMC:

[h=4]Key points[/h]
  • Numerous studies have found that physical punishment increases the risk of broad and enduring negative developmental outcomes.
  • No study has found that physical punishment enhances developmental health.
  • Most child physical abuse occurs in the context of punishment.
  • A professional consensus is emerging that parents should be supported in learning nonviolent, effective approaches to discipline.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Here's a link to a sum of studies on the efficacy of physical punishment (link). The research seems fairly one-sided in conclusion.

Which is usually a sign that the position isn't considering half of the problem.

Allow me to balance it out a bit...

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/s...panked-are-happier-and-more-successful-as-tee

(I'd provide a link to the actual study, but the pals link is no longer working.)

From that article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal in conjunction with JAMC:

[h=4]Key points[/h]
  • Numerous studies have found that physical punishment increases the risk of broad and enduring negative developmental outcomes.
  • A professional consensus is emerging that parents should be supported in learning nonviolent, effective approaches to discipline.

Isn't it amazing how people cry, "consensus, consensus" against what is stated explicitly on the Bible?

It's amazing to me that people continue to think that they know better than God.

He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly. - Proverbs 13:24 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs13:24&version=NKJV

Lon

However, the Bible makes it clear in passages like Ephesians 5:22-33 and I Peter 3:1-7 that marriage is not a “partnership” but rather a patriarchy. It does not get any clearer than “For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church” (Ephesians 5:23).

And the fact is that the Bible is clear that as Christ is the head of the Church so too God the owner of humanity has put male human beings in charge of female human beings in marriage. It really is that simple.

Seems to miss Ephesians 5:21 :think:

Lon

Which is usually a sign that the position isn't considering half of the problem.

Allow me to balance it out a bit...

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/s...panked-are-happier-and-more-successful-as-tee

(I'd provide a link to the actual study, but the pals link is no longer working.)

Isn't it amazing how people cry, "consensus, consensus" against what is stated explicitly on the Bible?

It's amazing to me that people continue to think that they know better than God.

He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly. - Proverbs 13:24 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs13:24&version=NKJV
A few more:
Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."
Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."
Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."
Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."
Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (Shoel)."

Also: Hebrews 12:5-11

Is it possible to read 'rod' as 'guidance?'

Proverbs 22:6

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Key points

Absolutely agree.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Or it indicates that the methodologically validated evidence, subject to peer review, is fairly conclusive. if you follow the link you'll likely get the same impression.

It's more amazing to me how people decide what's explicit and in what way.

Said the Adventist, etc. Or, I don't have to know better than God to feel more confident in what I can know compared to someone who doesn't test his understanding against reason and what is there to be known that would indicate the likelihood of his or her own error.

My niece wasn't whipped as a child. She was put in a corner and spoken to lovingly, but firmly. She's expecting her second child now, is a Christian, and an architect. She does a lot of work for Habitat. A great person. If that's what hate engenders I can only hope we all learn to hate our children.

I've brought my son up the same way. When he has the odd fit I don't entertain it. I tell him that his behavior is unacceptable. I tell him why. And then I instruct him in the consequence of his actions if he continues. Because of that foundation of uninterrupted trust and respect, it works. He's in the top 2% of all students his age, is compassionate and kind, and earlier today when I went to look in on him in the bathroom because he'd taken longer than seemed reasonable, he was talking to God about his stomach ache.

I asked him how often he talks to God about things when he's alone. He said, "Like you do. All the time."

I suspect God is pleased enough with the situation as it stands.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

[h=4]Key points[/h]
Guaranteed that all of the studies they look at use fuzzy definitions of "physical punishment" that do nothing to differentiate proper discipline from abuse.

For example, it says: "In an early modeling study, boys in grade one who had watched a one-minute video of a boy being yelled at, shaken..."

No good parent recognizes yelling and shaking as generally useful tools in proper discipline. They show weakness and should be reserved exclusively for emergencies. I can't think of a single situation where shaking would be appropriate.

Moreover, their retrospective studies tend to ask — for example — drug addicts questions like: "Were you spanked?" Such respondents are never going to make any distinction between physical punishment and proper discipline. Also, they were obviously not exposed to any significant training, having thrown their lives away.

It's easy to show correlation between "physical punishment" and abuse or anti-social behavior. You're not going to get an argument there. What it is impossible to show is a correlation between "proper discipline" and such things, mostly because none of these studies would ever define proper discipline.

These studies are done without any interest in considering proper discipline, which shouldn't be surprising for those that bow to baby-killing groups like the "un."

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you follow the link you'll likely get the same impression.
"Impression"? We prefer a proper analysis of relevant evidence. :up:

It's amazing how people decide that what is plainly said cannot be so.

Said the Adventist, etc.
Said the Darwinist, etc.

My cousin wasn't whipped as a child. He was put in a corner and spoken to lovingly, but firmly. He's dead after leaping from a car on a freeway in a drug-induced haze and his brother is on the same path.

I suspect God is not pleased with the situation as it stands.

bibleverse2

These studies are done without any interest in considering proper discipline, which shouldn't be surprising for those that bow to baby-killing groups . .

That brought to mind what the Bible teaches:

Proverbs 19:18 ¶Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

Proverbs 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Hebrews 12:5 . . . ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How does the mother make any difference in the situation OK Doser presented, from the situation at an abortion clinic, in terms of the murder of a child?
Nothing in principle, I guess. However, the situation doser presented would require a spur of the moment response, while an abortion would have weeks, at least, of buildup.

I guess that such a scenario would likely never arise given someone that determined to stop it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It isn't Jesus that needs refuting, it's your removal of this episode from it's context that needs it.

The context was that a mob was looking forward to killing a woman who was caught in adultery. Jesus suggested that the person who was without sin first throw a stone. Notice He didn't say "throw the first stone."

You're a smart guy, and I say that without any sarcasm. Think it over.

I think you'll know why His lesson is for all of us and applies today.

Just think about it, O.K.?

Status
Not open for further replies.