No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
They were probably sorry they got caught.

So, in other words, they probably spent the time they were in timeout thinking about how they could avoid getting caught, no?

What makes you think that prisons, which are essentially timeout for adults, would be any different?

But they learned if they did the same thing again they would be punished for it.

Punished? You mean they'd get more time to think about how best not to get caught next time?

Hopefully as they grow older they will understand the wrong they did.

"Hopefully"?

You mean, even you don't think they'd learn that what they did was wrong from being put into timeout? That's surprising.

Bradley, did you know that God told parents the best way to discipline their children?

Guess what, it wasn't by putting them in timeout.

Do you know what it is?

Especially when they have their own children.

For the sake of their children and their children's children, I hope they don't try to punish their children by putting them in timeout.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So, in other words, they probably spent the time they were in timeout thinking about how they could avoid getting caught, no?

What makes you think that prisons, which are essentially timeout for adults, would be any different?

Punished? You mean they'd get more time to think about how best not to get caught next time?

"Hopefully"?

You mean, even you don't think they'd learn that what they did was wrong from being put into timeout? That's surprising.

Bradley, did you know that God told parents the best way to discipline their children?

Guess what, it wasn't by putting them in timeout.

Do you know what it is?

For the sake of their children and their children's children, I hope they don't try to punish their children by putting them in timeout.

Do you have children?
@JudgeRightly

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Thank you. It's one thing to talk about disciplining children, and another thing to live it.

I hope if you have children someday you'll appreciate there is much nuance that goes into teaching a child the difference between right and wrong, and that parents don't always get it right.

I agree, but what's your point?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Of course they were undermined ...

if you want to call it that, fine

but why change what's clearly written in scripture?

scripture says they were "convicted by their own conscience"

there's a richness of language there - what do you suppose that means in the context of first century scribes and pharisees?

and with a few simple words.

a few simple words that you want to interpret through the lens of 1700 years of Catholic/Protestant dogma instead of considering the context in which they were spoken and received

They certainly weren't very clever either.

well, they were lawyers :idunno:

ok doser

[MENTION=7959]WizardofOz[/MENTION]'s prediction:
Marriage rates would plummet to nearly zero.

my response:
this one doesn't pass the sniff test for me - when my wife and i married, we married for love, we married forever, we married because we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, we wanted to raise a family, build a home together, grow old together - it never occurred to us to plan for the opportunity to ruin that by cheating

artie moves the goalposts:
...lots of folk would simply not bother getting married ....

so we go from WoO predicting that virtually no one would risk getting married, to artie, inexplicably interjecting and arguing against something else :dizzy:

go away artie, i was responding to WoO

ok doser

If adultery was a capital crime, hardly anyone would get married, ever.

Adultery is a capital crime in Iran and Somalia

Do you have any indication that marriage rates in either of those countries is nearly zero?

Adultery was a capital crime in ancient Israel

Seems to me the Bible mentions weddings and married folk :idunno:

Arthur Brain

[MENTION=7959]WizardofOz[/MENTION]'s prediction:

my response:

artie moves the goalposts:

so we go from WoO predicting that virtually no one would risk getting married, to artie, inexplicably interjecting and arguing against something else :dizzy:

go away artie, i was responding to WoO

:doh:

What "goalposts" are being moved? If Wiz says that the marriage rate would plummet to nearly zero and I'm saying that lots of folk wouldn't risk getting married then myself and Wiz are on the same page. Your personal anecdote is entirely irrelevant. If you want me to "go away" then don't quote me or respond.

Arthur Brain

ok doser

Well shouldn't we be glad that we don't live in countries that practice such barbarism then?

hard to say

live in a country that's awash in perversion and immorality or live in a country that recognizes perversion and immorality as undesirable and takes effective steps to suppress it :think:

Arthur Brain

if you want to call it that, fine

but why change what's clearly written in scripture?

scripture says they were "convicted by their own conscience"

there's a richness of language there - what do you suppose that means in the context of first century scribes and pharisees?

It's not "changing" anything. They tried to spring a trap, said trap was undermined and they were convicted one by one to shuffle off.

a few simple words that you want to interpret through the lens of 1700 years of Catholic/Protestant dogma instead of considering the context in which they were spoken and received

You're the one trying to interpret stuff here and change "without sin" to a specific one of perverting the law.

well, they were lawyers :idunno:

:rolleyes:

Arthur Brain

hard to say

live in a country that's awash in perversion and immorality or live in a country that recognizes perversion and immorality as undesirable and takes effective steps to suppress it :think:

Well, the stoning to death of thirteen year old girls is absolutely perverse and immoral so you should be grateful you live in a country that wouldn't remotely tolerate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.