Every day is a new circus.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Descent into Hell:

0WYGdiD.jpg

i thought kids were off limits?

did political cartoonists portray malia and sasha in their cartoons?

ok doser

...you start anxiety-yawning again.

once again, you misinterpret my post - when I post " :yawn: don't care ", it means I don't care to hear you whining about your irrational dislike of our current (successful) President

i'll try to spell it out more clearly in the future :)

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Right, because that's all AB's been doing today, bashing our embarrassment of a president...
eyes.gif
See how that works? When it's turned back on you, you start anxiety-yawning again.

Why would that be any of your business?

As I've stated plenty of times, the current political administration in the UK (for want of a better term) is a farce and whoever takes over the mantle of "leadership" in the conservative party isn't going to make a noticeable difference, nor will it be anything to shout about if labour or any other alternative party takes power. Politicians in the main don't care about people no matter what affiliation or party they ascribe to, certainly not in the higher echelons. As is hardly surprising, the prevailing mood where it comes to politics is one of cynicism and it's just bemusing to me how anyone can think otherwise where it comes to political leadership in general, either here or across the pond.

ok doser

...Politicians in the main don't care about people no matter what affiliation or party they ascribe to, certainly not in the higher echelons. As is hardly surprising, the prevailing mood where it comes to politics is one of cynicism and it's just bemusing to me how anyone can think otherwise where it comes to political leadership in general, either here or across the pond.

funny, i don't remember you being critical of obama for the eight years he was president :think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So I was on FB earlier and a friend of mine posted a familiar, "Agree with him or not, I am praying for our president to be filled with wisdom," meme. Now the point of those is largely to get anyone reading it to act or think affirmatively about Trump. It's an end run of sorts, that finds purchase in many who are uncomfortable with their decision to support him the first time around.

Here's the problem for me...I see his lawyers arguing that detained children aren't necessarily entitled to soap, toothbrushes, and a sleeping spot that isn't a concrete floor and I think, "Until he demonstrates fundamental humanity toward those who cannot in any sense further his welfare, I'm just not interested in much more than removing him from office." And I voted for Bush Jr., before anyone asks. So I'm always a potential get for conservatives, but not here.

Our president is a creature of free will and no wisdom or goodness will come into a single soul who doesn't invite it. Evidence of either will be found in the fruit of that tree. So until that fruit is edible, I'd rather spit it out.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So I was on FB earlier and a friend of mine posted a familiar, "Agree with him or not, I am praying for our president to be filled with wisdom," meme. Now the point of those is largely to get anyone reading it to act or think affirmatively about Trump. It's an end run of sorts, that finds purchase in many who are uncomfortable with their decision to support him the first time around.

Here's the problem for me...I see his lawyers arguing that detained children aren't necessarily entitled to soap, toothbrushes, and a sleeping spot that isn't a concrete floor and I think, "Until he demonstrates fundamental humanity toward those who cannot in any sense further his welfare, I'm just not interested in much more than removing him from office." And I voted for Bush Jr., before anyone asks. So I'm always a potential get for conservatives, but not here.

Our president is a creature of free will and no wisdom or goodness will come into a single soul who doesn't invite it. Evidence of either will be found in the fruit of that tree. So until that fruit is edible, I'd rather spit it out.

He’s what he always was. Unfortunately he’s what alt-righters always wanted.

Now we have concentration camps run by an administration that doesn’t care about basic civil rights and knows it’s not bound by rule of law. Shooting on 5th. avenue being a trial balloon and all.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
He’s what he always was. Unfortunately he’s what alt-righters always wanted.

Now we have concentration camps run by an administration that doesn’t care about basic civil rights and knows it’s not bound by rule of law. Shooting on 5th. avenue being a trial balloon and all.

Actually,kids in concentration camps had mats to sleep on, and were allowed to bathe. So I'm not sure that these cages come up to the standard for concentration camps.

ok doser

Actually,kids in concentration camps had mats to sleep on, and were allowed to bathe. So I'm not sure that these cages come up to the standard for concentration camps.

Of course, these poor illegal immigrants trying to circumvent the law are being treated more harshly than those whiny Jews who were sent to camp back in the 40's

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Of course, these poor illegal immigrants trying to circumvent the law are being treated more harshly than those whiny Jews who were sent to camp back in the 40's

The Holocaust Museum agrees these camps are how it started. I’ve seen their statement, will link to it later. Slow internet here, but I’ll be on a flight home soon.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Correction: The Auschwitz Memorial Museum:

Auschwitz MemorialVerified account @AuschwitzMuseum

If you see human suffering & you think this is not so important because "it's not yet Auschwitz"… 

Then, think again.
We commemorate and educate about the tragic history of Auschwitz as we believe it should inspire people today to build a better & a more responsible world.

Auschwitz MemorialVerified account @AuschwitzMuseum

When we look at Auschwitz we see the end of the process. It's important to remember that the Holocaust actually did not start from gas chambers. This hatred gradually developed from words, stereotypes & prejudice through legal exclusion, dehumanisation & escalating violence.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Holocaust survivor remembers past, worries about America’s future
By Bernard Marks Special to The Sacramento Bee
March 03, 2017 05:00 AM,Updated June 28, 2019 10:09 AM

I am a Holocaust survivor, an 87-year-old man who experienced the graphic inhumanity of Auschwitz and Dachau and the infamous ghettos of the Nazi regime. I am also a proud American citizen who came to this country as a refugee in 1947 and believed the words of Emma Lazarus that welcomed me to its shores: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

For many decades I have lived my American dream, as a husband, a father, an engineer and an educator who works with young students to help them learn about the Holocaust so that the lessons of that tragic era are never forgotten. Much of my life has been dedicated to this mission because, one day in the not-too-distant future, the voices of my generation will only echo from the past.

I never imagined the day would come that I would feel compelled to raise a warning to the people of my adopted homeland about a danger that is all too familiar to me, a threat to democracy and to the character that defines America.

I am fearful when I watch the slow chiseling away of civil rights, tolerance, compassion and acceptance. I am saddened when I see this country’s pride in being a nation built on the belief, trust and hard work of immigrants challenged by the rhetoric of racism. I hear the tones, I feel the subtle threat, I see the nascent actions being taken by our new administration. After all, I have personal experience with the rise of the most shameful event of the 20th century.

I see men and women who wear the badge of law enforcement – most joined this dangerous profession to protect people from harm and serve their communities. Now, not unlike their counterparts in 1940s Poland and Germany, they are being asked to step up to an “enhanced” job description and round up illegal immigrants. I hear the divisive speech used to sway public opinion and leverage latent fears of people whose culture and language are foreign. I feel the liberation of opinions and actions that were once socially unacceptable in the America I know and love.

I am, of course, aware that the United States has experienced several bouts of exclusionary periods in which people were unjustifiably harmed: Chinese, Japanese, African Americans and Native Americans, and my fellow Jews among them. All these movements were sanctioned and led by government proclamation. Every country has its dark history, but it’s the great nations that embrace the commitment to never repeat dark history.

Now, as one of a vanishing cadre of Holocaust survivors, I am compelled to speak out, to ask Americans to raise their voices. To not stand silently by and watch as executive orders erode the essence of this nation’s character and creed. I remember how silent people were, how quietly complicit neighbors and community were as the Nazi occupation of my home in Lodz, Poland, slowly progressed into what the world knows today as the Holocaust.

I urge Americans to not think for a moment, “It can’t happen here.”

I spent my childhood doing brutal manual labor in concentration camps, surviving on one meal a day of weak broth and dry bread. But I was among the fortunate. Before the Nazis came there were 200 people in my extended family. When we were liberated by the Allied troops, only five were left among the living. All this, because we were Jewish. Different. We were scapegoats for a movement fueled by hate and discrimination.

I ask people of conscience to study the past and to envision the future of this extraordinary country. Democracy is only as strong as the people who define it, form it, and sustain it with their actions. The America I know must rise to its promise of being “The land of the free and the home of the brave.”