boycott the NFL

ClimateSanity

Except that ratings aren't in free fall, getting your knickers in a twist over someone exercising their right to free speech doesn't make you patriotic (or particularly American) and wanting any business to fail because you don't agree with the political views of some employees is about as stupid as boycotting Starbucks because your local barista drives a Prius.

Because the writer is an intellectually stunted, emotionally constipated purveyor of a myth invented by people who seem to have a pathological addiction to outrage? Just a guess, mind you.

So he's boycotting the movies as well? Everyone in on that one too? Seems like his version of America doesn't wear buttons.

Yep. That's the rule. It's in the bylaws. Hiring hookers. And everyone knows the cheating, bribing immorality began during the Obama administration. Before that the NCAA death penalty was just an idea, right? Shhhh SMU fans, that was a show pony. Everyone else was clean as a whis---shhh, Penn State fans. And so on.

Like MMA, wrestling, etc?

There's nothing disrespectful in exercising one of the fundamental rights that makes that anthem more than a peculiar take on an English drinking song. Supra.

Hollywood will give us what we ask for with our wallets. So instead of trying to drive businesses out of business, spend money and go to the movies that you want to see and don't go to the rest.

What a load of horsefeathers.

So you're saying he exhibited even less impulse control in the unedited version? That's amazing.
Ratings are down 17.5% since 2015 at this point in the season. I don't know what you consider as freefall but can you name any other two year period of time in NFL history when ratings took as deep a plunge as that?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here is another commenter on Breitbart concerning NFL kneelers I am in total agreement with:

"The NFL should surprise no one! In a way, I WANT professional football to fade away. With their ratings in free fall, and extreme pressure from American patriots for advertisers to cancel their sponsorships, Goodell's decision is the nail in the coffin. Why do I want the NFL to fade? It's become as immoral, filthy, and corrupt as Hollywood. The sexual perversion and bribery have even percolated down to college sports, with coaches hiring hookers for the players. DISGUSTING. Large crowds shouting at big morons to hurt each other while they disrespect the National Anthem of the country that GAVE THEM the opportunity is as barbaric as the gladiators in Roman times. Let's clean up Hollywood by bankrupting it. Let's get rid of these whiny, ungrateful, unpatriotic NFL burpers by bankrupting them. LET'S CLEAN HOUSE ON THE DARK SIDE OF OUR CULTURE, AMERICA!'

I replaced a foul word with burpers to avoid a banning .
I agree with so much of that.
In any group there will be a few scoundrels that are divisive and need to be weeded out.
But for the most part, the NFL tried to maintain a certain aura of respectability and role models.
But they slowly started giving in to the ways of the world and have become just another corrupt greedy organization.

And I can see why some would like the sport (as it has become) to be brought down a notch, because it puts 'education' on the back burner, and promotes underhandedness.
What would most of these NFL protesting players do if there was no NFL?
What would they fall back on to support themselves?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
getting your knickers in a twist over someone exercising their right to free speech doesn't make you patriotic
Sure it does.
It would be patriotic to boo some fool shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater, or shouting "WOLF" when there is none.

They protested by dissing one of the most treasured symbols of our country.
They chose badly, and they are getting an earful of free speech as well.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Those are good articles too.
Thank you so muchh!

I wish more would take the data seriously.
There is so much data that states that it much more beneficial for children raised in homes with both parents, and how welfare promotes the dividing of the parents.
For those that claim they are so concerned for the children, they sure do put this data on the back burner (if they bother considering the data at all).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ratings are down 17.5% since 2015 at this point in the season.
Nothing was happening on the anthem front in 2015. So the only reason to go back that far is to make the decline more dramatic. Ratings went down in 2015 without anyone kneeling. Why? I'll come back to the likely culprits and the as likely misapprehension in a moment.

Viewership has been declining in most sports over the past few years and for a number of reasons. I'm not suggesting that the knee jerking of activists hasn't been felt, only that the impact is fairly marginal and the declines were happening without it to some extent, if to a likely lesser extent than has been reported. I'll come back to why this is in a moment. This season, so far, active viewing is down 7.5% from last year, though it has rebounded of late and part of the reason for even that dip was the lackluster first couple of weeks, when it was down nearly 13%.

I'll be curious to see what interest is like as the games start to really separate the playoff contenders, without last year's distraction and with the kneeling movement having lost novelty and the issue as a lightning rod drawing less real heat.

I don't know what you consider as freefall
A sharp, typically sudden statistical downturn. That's not what's happening here, where we've actually seen some rebound and where the overall decline precedes what some are attempting to call the effect. That sort of thing.

can you name any other two year period of time in NFL history when ratings took as deep a plunge as that?
Not that I can think of, though baseball has had worse. To begin with, there's a general downturn in just about every sport in terms of active viewing, as I noted. Millenials aren't as joined at the hip as we are when it comes to viewing habits. Well, at least not in the traditional approach. What do I mean and why is that important?

A few points:

1. Nielsen doesn't factor mobile devices, which over the same last few years has become a way a great many people keep track of games, especially the younger set.

2. Cord cutters have impacted ratings, especially of NFL Network or ESPN generated games.

3. On top of that potential for statistical misread you had the domestic violence black eye, followed by a serious concussion concern that became a topic of moment for fans and parents of potential fans/players, then the anthem controversy. That much negative press over a couple of years is going to have an impact, even if that's largely in the soft viewership. It's still an important demo.

An interesting side bar that moves us toward alternate viewing, the worst downturn year, last year, saw 5% more viewers, an actual increase, but the overall viewership was watching less of any particular game. Forbes, Sept. 27, 2017 It makes me wonder if the Red Zone was such a good idea for the NFL, getting viewers accustomed to watching here and there and skipping out on the commercials and down time.

Also, among those who still typically use tvs to watch the game, an aging demographic but one with teeth and numbers, viewership is actually up this year. It's down among younger viewers who (again) may be watching but less of any particular and using other means than television.

So there's some reason to suspect that if (and that will shortly be a "when" for the NFL, driven by owners) we count in the alternative viewers and means and understand the last two years as being a melting pot of things that drove a perception, everyone will come to understand the sky is by no reasonable stretch of the imagination beginning to fall. Is the traditional dominance of the NFL in traditionally measurable means done? Maybe, but that's a horse of a different color and another race to run.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wrote, "Getting your knickers in a twist over someone exercising their right to free speech doesn't make you patriotic."
Sure it does.
No, it doesn't, because the people kneeling were exercising their patriotism by showing their support of one of its most important principles and doing it in the face of popular opposition, even in defiance of authority. It doesn't get more American than that. Love and devotion aren't only found in praise, but also in discipline. That can sometimes be a harsher measure, a judgment predicated on the expectation of better.

It would be patriotic to boo some fool shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater, or shouting "WOLF" when there is none.
No, it wouldn't be "patriotic" unless you have a really bad dictionary. Also, your attempts at parallel aren't parallel given the empirical data on disparate, negative treatment for blacks and other minorities in this country.

They protested by dissing one of the most treasured symbols of our country.
Nothing in what they did attacked the anthem or the flag. And what they did was in service to the principles that make those symbols meaningful.

They chose badly, and they are getting an earful of free speech as well.
It's not the choice I'd have felt obliged to make, but I can respect it as an exercise in keeping with our traditions.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
JW's don't stand for the anthem or pledge a flag....nary a peep about them...
Maybe if they'd convert to Islam. Though I think they'll sell it as being more about an active protest, though on some level it really seems to be about a backlash caught up in the "privileged athlete" syndrome so many working stiffs have caught. It goes: these people are GIVEN (because they have to work in some sense of entitlement when we're speaking to a group of athletes dominated by black players) the opportunity to make millions and they turn their noses up at U.S., if you take my meaning.

There is an element in this country that is angry because it grew up in a society where it felt in control and no longer has the illusion for comfort. In their lifetime minorities of all sorts have become empowered and I think some of the aging, largely white population now feel a little helpless, usurped, when all they mostly are is contextualized in right, the way we always should have been. I've heard the "nothing satisfies THEM" sentiment all too often to fail to understand what's wrapped up in it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Maybe if they'd convert to Islam. Though I think they'll sell it as being more about an active protest, though on some level it really seems to be about a backlash caught up in the "privileged athlete" syndrome so many working stiffs have caught. It goes: these people are GIVEN (because they have to work in some sense of entitlement when we're speaking to a group of athletes dominated by black players) the opportunity to make millions and they turn their noses up at U.S., if you take my meaning.

There is an element in this country that is angry because it grew up in a society where it felt in control and no longer has the illusion for comfort. In their lifetime minorities of all sorts have become empowered and I think some of the aging, largely white population now feel a little helpless, usurped, when all they mostly are is contextualized in right, the way we always should have been. I've heard the "nothing satisfies THEM" sentiment all too often to fail to understand what's wrapped up in it.
As usual you over analysis is way off. Way off. You don't understand so you try to think your way to an answer. Did you watch the Larry Elder video? Of course not, you're smarter than him.

drbrumley

Well said...From The Real Nature of Police Brutality in America and the Big Problem on Urban Streets
By Robert Wenzel
Economic Policy Journal
December 16, 2014

The real solution may be to strip police of much of their duties and in urban areas takeaway their cars. They should not be “crime fighters” enforcing every new government law on drug sales, selling of untaxed cigarette sales etc. They should not be crime solvers. They should be limited to the order-maintenance” of the old days. Indeed, the ultimate solution should be for each neighborhood devising its own private protection program, just like the old days, with each neighborhood setting their own rules of order-maintenance.

The current protesters understand none of the history of how current confrontations between the police and citizens has grown as government involvement in policing has escalated. They are even in greater confusion if they think the problem on the sidewalks of urban America is simply a race problem.

Until the role of government police is shrunk dramatically, even eliminated, the problems over time will continue to escalate. Simply making police promise to be less brutal isn’t going to change anything. They are far from the nightwatchmen of old. They are put on the streets to enforce government laws and they will escalate until their orders are complied with. That is simply the nature of modern day government police forces. Their real motto is, although they won’t admit it, “Comply with ever expanding government rules or die,”

It's not just a black problem.

Mr. Kapernick, are you listening?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As usual you over analysis is way off. Way off.
As usual you confuse declaration with argument and reason.

You don't understand so you try to think your way to an answer.
Yes, when I don't have an answer I reason my way to one.

Did you watch the Larry Elder video?
No. I gave up youtube video recommendations a while ago.

Of course not, you're smarter than him.
The funny thing is that the only people anyone can quote repeatedly talking about my intelligence are people who aren't actually, well, me.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame