Alt-righter plows into crowd of anti-racists in Charlottesville

fool

Hall of Fame
Insofar as his current position, I do. He is too unstable to have authority over the nuclear codes. Just imagine if Kim Jong Un made fun of Trump's hair ... or ridiculous red ties. Nuclear annihilation.

What's the matter with his tie? And I'm not kidding. I thought his attire is NYC Billionaire standard. What an I missing?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What makes one an alt-right or alt-left in your opinions....

Anna and Town say with media backing them, that alt-righters did Charlottesville...what's the criteria for labeling the guy who ran over the young lady an alt-righter, or even a person of the right?

vanguard14n-1-web.jpg

While Vanguard America has disavowed him as one of their members, here he is among them at Charlottesville.

Vanguard America

Vanguard America started in about 2014 and is primarily based on the West Coast, Hankes said, but members have also shown up at recent rallies in Texas.

It also has chapters in Florida, Massachusetts and New Jersey, according to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).

Vanguard America — which has roots on the fascist Iron March Forum website — has increasingly had neo-Nazi views, as with many movements born from the web forum, Hankes said.

Indeed, the homepage of Vanguard America's website bears the phrase "Blood and Soil" — a Nazi slogan that white nationalist groups chanted during Saturday's rally.[

"Our people are subjugated while an endless tide of incompatible foreigners floods this nation every year," a welcome message on the group's website reads. "If current trends continue, White Americans will be a minority in the nation they built. It's time to take a stand."

Articles and posters on Vanguard America's sleek website warn of dangers it believes blacks, Jews and Muslims are bringing to the U.S.

"Imagine a Muslim free America" reads one poster featuring the Twin Towers and an airliner.

Those posters are one of the main ways Vanguard American reaches out to people, according to the ADL.

The organization counted 32 incidents during the 2016-2017 school year in which Vanguard America fliers were put up on college campuses.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What makes one an alt-right or alt-left in your opinions....
The Alt Right created mantel was created by Richard Spence to define his people. I suspect people invested in moral equivalence invested in the Alt Left label. I don't know of any liberals who claim it and they certainly didn't coin it. Snopes looked into it and had difficulty finding it widely used before Sean Hannity ran it up the flagpole for conservatives back in November of last year. It goes on to note there was an Alt-left .com in 2015, but it was a different animal than what we're talking about today. Or what Hannity and Trump are.

Anna and Town say with media backing them, that alt-righters did Charlottesville.
I've mostly called them by their individual group names. The Alt Right is a convenient way to group the loony part of the right fringe, to be sure. And given the movement coined its own handle and these individual groups are shoulder to shoulder with it, why not?

If you'd rather call them traditional conservatives, then go ahead, but I think you're being a bit hard on the mainstream at that point.

..what's the criteria for labeling the guy who ran over the young lady an alt-righter, or even a person of the right?
An understanding of who Spencer said they are coupled with any sort of reading of the material they produce.

drbrumley

vanguard14n-1-web.jpg

While Vanguard America has disavowed him as one of their members, here he is among them at Charlottesville.

Vanguard America

Vanguard America started in about 2014 and is primarily based on the West Coast, Hankes said, but members have also shown up at recent rallies in Texas.

It also has chapters in Florida, Massachusetts and New Jersey, according to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).

Vanguard America — which has roots on the fascist Iron March Forum website — has increasingly had neo-Nazi views, as with many movements born from the web forum, Hankes said.

Indeed, the homepage of Vanguard America's website bears the phrase "Blood and Soil" — a Nazi slogan that white nationalist groups chanted during Saturday's rally.[

"Our people are subjugated while an endless tide of incompatible foreigners floods this nation every year," a welcome message on the group's website reads. "If current trends continue, White Americans will be a minority in the nation they built. It's time to take a stand."

Articles and posters on Vanguard America's sleek website warn of dangers it believes blacks, Jews and Muslims are bringing to the U.S.

"Imagine a Muslim free America" reads one poster featuring the Twin Towers and an airliner.

Those posters are one of the main ways Vanguard American reaches out to people, according to the ADL.

The organization counted 32 incidents during the 2016-2017 school year in which Vanguard America fliers were put up on college campuses.

Um, is there an answer to my question somewhere?

drbrumley

The Alt Right created mantel was created by Richard Spence to define his people. I suspect people invested in moral equivalence invested in the Alt Left label. I don't know of any liberals who claim it and they certainly didn't coin it. Snopes looked into it and had difficulty finding it widely used before Sean Hannity ran it up the flagpole for conservatives back in November of last year. It goes on to note there was an Alt-left .com in 2015, but it was a different animal than what we're talking about today. Or what Hannity and Trump are.

I've mostly called them by their individual group names. The Alt Right is a convenient way to group the loony part of the right fringe, to be sure. And given the movement coined its own handle and these individual groups are shoulder to shoulder with it, why not?

If you'd rather call them traditional conservatives, then go ahead, but I think you're being a bit hard on the mainstream at that point.

An understanding of who Spencer said they are coupled with any sort of reading of the material they produce.

Ok, thank you for that....

So what makes Richard Spencer right wing? Just because he says it doesn't make it so does it?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Um, is there an answer to my question somewhere?

Yes.

Anna and Town say with media backing them, that alt-righters did Charlottesville...what's the criteria for labeling the guy who ran over the young lady an alt-righter, or even a person of the right?

I showed you his connection with Vanguard America, and a little of what Vanguard America believes.

If he stands with them, and has a shield like theirs, and chants Nazi slogans with them ("blood and soil, Jews will not replace us") and proclaims a white supremacist ideology, then he's moved beyond conservatism and into alt-right territory even if he were to claim he hasn't gone full Nazi.

You're capable of looking up information about the alt-right. If you don't like what I offered, then I suggest you do your own research.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It's not the same excuses.
:rotfl:

Who is voting has nothing to do with the Charlottesville protests.
They came armed with bottles of urine and feces to throw at others, macing others, hitting others, knocking others down, shoving others, spitting on others, and running over with a car.
THOSE are the folks that should be hosed, silly willy.
silly willy :chuckle:

drbrumley

Yes.

I showed you his connection with Vanguard America, and a little of what Vanguard America believes.

If he stands with them, and has a shield like theirs, and chants Nazi slogans with them ("blood and soil, Jews will not replace us") and proclaims a white supremacist ideology, then he's moved beyond conservatism and into alt-right territory even if he were to claim he hasn't gone full Nazi.

You're capable of looking up information about the alt-right. If you don't like what I offered, then I suggest you do your own research.

No, perhaps you have reading comprehension issues tonight....

I asked what makes alt-right, the right (as in right/left of the political spectrum)

All you offered was the standard cliché.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
No, perhaps you have reading comprehension issues tonight....

I asked what makes alt-right, the right (as in right/left of the political spectrum)

All you offered was the standard cliché.

And I said if you didn't like what I offered, then do your own research.

And I won't bother with your posts anymore. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ok, thank you for that....
You're welcome.

So what makes Richard Spencer right wing?
Alt Right. He doesn't identify with the traditional right entirely. Have you read anything he's written on the point?

Just because he says it doesn't make it so does it?
No. Nothing anyone says has to be sincere. If I didn't know that before I arrived here I've had a thorough education in it since. But I've generally found that when people commit to one side of the political spectrum the one thing they never want any confusion about, can get snippy at the drop of a hat about, is the idea that they might be on the other side of the coin. Politics, in this country, is on the whole a touchier subject than religion with most.

Given the emotionalism that sweeps through political rhetoric and positioning these days, I'm as confident of someone declaring himself as an advocate of the right or left as I would be someone declaring their homosexuality twenty years ago. No liberal I've ever met would want to be confused as a conservative and I can't imagine what would drive a conservative to represent himself as a liberal.

The only people I ever see making the attempt to paint against the grain are at the fringe and then only speaking for others.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And "just doing what I was told" has really worked out well for all sorts of people claiming the moral or legal high-ground, historically.
So, are you changing your tune about city employees following their commanders?

He defied a judge's lawful order. That's like a private deciding what order he's going to follow on the battlefield. He didn't do his job.

Are they supposed to obey or not?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

A soldier in the field isn't suppose to follow an order that violates the rules of conduct. The order is itself unlawful. That wasn't the case here, which is why Trump had to pardon the Sheriff.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A soldier in the field isn't suppose to follow an order that violates the rules of conduct. The order is itself unlawful. That wasn't the case here, which is why Trump had to pardon the Sheriff.
We are not talking about soldiers.
We are talking about city employees being given a command by their superiors.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
We are not talking about soldiers.
Read it again. You don't appear to understand it.