Alt-righter plows into crowd of anti-racists in Charlottesville

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
You asked him for what?? :chuckle: Might as well ask him for a thousand dollars while you're at it.

Did you see the bit I noted where 60% of white people attributed poverty of blacks to genetics at least a little? I wrote that means over half the white population are at least a little racist. His number is, I'd suggest, a wee on the small side of actual representation.

Define racist.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Stand up to garbage parading down their streets?
Yes.

Free speech doesn't need to be stood up to by physical, threatening presence.
Depends on who gets to define what constitutes threatening. If showing up and standing peacefully in numbers threatens, if being outnumbered threatens, then meh. If it means actual threat, I agree.

Now here was the whole quote: No, you would think that. I think respectable folks stand up to that sort of garbage parading down their streets. Peaceful resistance, like the young lady was doing moments before the racist ran her down.

You'll notice I said peaceful resistance.

I think gay parades are garbage, but if I dare go there to protest, I will be thrown out or shown on national TV as a hate group.
I'd bet it would depend on how you protested, but you go do that and THEN tell us what actually happened...outside of your head. We all know what's going on INSIDE it.

Arthur Brain

Show me that your overblown assessment of racism in conservatives is more than a wild crazy guess on your part.

How about you show how it's less than one percent? White supremacist loons ain't "liberal" for a start so get on with that to begin with. And seriously, you claim to have an IQ of 140 yet still haven't gotten to grips with the quote function on here?

:AMR:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Rubbish.
I have stated that it was murder and wrong to do.
Then you said the other thing. It was the other thing I criticized.

But still, she knew the risks and even stated she was leery to attend.
So did Civil Right's marchers. And?

She chose to go anyway.
Yes. She was brave. Her concern for her own safety meant less to her, in the final analysis, than what she was trying to do that day. I think that's the sort of person we hope our children turn into, agree with them or not.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
If showing up and standing peacefully in numbers threatens, if being outnumbered threatens, then meh.

common11.jpg

The 'free speech' rally fit under the rotunda. The counter-rally is outside the fence.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As you see in this thread, there's been a lot of attempts to dishonestly portray people as BLM members, when they had nothing to do with the organization. Can you imagine the howls of offended people if someone said that Trump was a member of the Nazi party, because Nazis marched for him?
Both are being done.

Now, if (for example) BLM made excuses for the sniper that shot five police in Dallas, the way Trump made excuses for the Klan and Nazi demonstrators in Charlotteville, you might have a point. But they condemned him.
If you perceive Trump as making "excuses" for a lady being run down and killed by a car, you are nuts.
Trump did not make excuses for any side to do violence.
He spoke against all violence done at the rally, no matter who did it.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then you said the other thing. It was the other thing I criticized.
It was truth.

So did Civil Right's marchers. And?
Truth ---- people got harmed.

Yes. She was brave.
Brave?
For holding a sign at a rally protest?
Then there was a whole lot of brave people there on every side.
I feel awful about what happened to the lady, so I mean no disrespect toward her.
But if we are going to throw around the word "BRAVE" to those that show up to a protest rally expressing their views where you are already leery that violence is likely to occur, then everyone there was "BRAVE".

Her concern for her own safety meant less to her, in the final analysis, than what she was trying to do that day. I think that's the sort of person we hope our children turn into, agree with them or not.
Can be said of all that were there.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It was truth.
Truth is the sky is clear or cloudy. Truth is a woman who harmed no one is dead because a nut job, or an angry man decided to use a car as a lethal instrument. How you see it or feel about it is something else.

Yes. Brave for doing something even though she was afraid. Sure. Not every brave act is storming a beachhead.

Then there was a whole lot of brave people there on every side.
If you want to credit the guys who flew airplanes into the Twin Towers as brave, be my guest. I don't hang the word around that sort's neck, but you're entitled.

I feel awful about what happened to the lady,
It really comes through.

so I mean no disrespect toward her.
It really comes through. Changing fear to leery and essentially suggesting she was nothing special. Just someone at a rally where heck, anyone could be called brave and anyone should understand the risk.

Seriously, stop it before you make her mother blush.

But if we are going to throw around the word "BRAVE" to those that show up to a protest rally expressing their views
I didn't throw it around. I noted a young woman who was fearful went anyway. She went without a weapon. She went to stand against something odious and she died doing it.

where you are already leery that violence is likely to occur, then everyone there was "BRAVE". Can be said of all that were there.
No, no it can't. Some went there to do violence. Most of those were armed. They carried shields or clubs or guns. They weren't brave, be they Antifa or White Supremacists. The woman who died. She was brave.

fool

Hall of Fame
And seriously, you claim to have an IQ of 140 yet still haven't gotten to grips with the quote function on here?

:AMR:
To come to grips with the functions around here one must first accept that they are going to stay here and do this.
It's like a reluctant smoker who won't just go buy a carton because he's going to quit anytime now and doesn't want to invest in cigarettes he's not going to smoke.

Arthur Brain

To come to grips with the functions around here one must first accept that they are going to stay here and do this.
It's like a reluctant smoker who won't just go buy a carton because he's going to quit anytime now and doesn't want to invest in cigarettes he's not going to smoke.

He's been here for years...:eek: