Trump: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Bad
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will no longer sponsor an awards program honoring voluntary corporate actions to combat global warming, it announced on Friday, the agency’s latest move to undo Obama-era climate change programs.
So what? No "awards" for corporations doesn't mean they can't still combat global warming. What were the awards?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Bad
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump is likely to rescind an Obama-era policy that protects nearly 600,000 immigrants who entered the country illegally as children and are known as “Dreamers,” according to media reports on Friday.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
@Nihilo

Nihilo, I thought you might like to see this:

STATEMENT OF ARCHBISHOP CHARLES J. CHAPUT, O.F.M. CAP.
REGARDING RACIAL VIOLENCE IN CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA

Racism is a poison of the soul. It’s the ugly, original sin of our country, an illness that has never fully healed. Blending it with the Nazi salute, the relic of a regime that murdered millions, compounds the obscenity. Thus the wave of public anger about white nationalist events in Charlottesville this weekend is well warranted. We especially need to pray for those injured in the violence.

But we need more than pious public statements. If our anger today is just another mental virus displaced tomorrow by the next distraction or outrage we find in the media, nothing will change. Charlottesville matters. It’s a snapshot of our public unraveling into real hatreds brutally expressed; a collapse of restraint and mutual respect now taking place across the country. We need to keep the images of Charlottesville alive in our memories. If we want a different kind of country in the future, we need to start today with a conversion in our own hearts, and an insistence on the same in others. That may sound simple. But the history of our nation and its tortured attitudes toward race proves exactly the opposite.
I am not a racist. I adore all other races. I favor them.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I am not a racist. I adore all other races. I favor them.

I thought you might like to see it not because I think you're a racist, but because in our conversation I'd mentioned to you something to the effect that the values of the magisterium, which you accept as your authority, will be consistently at odds with the values of a Trump doctrine.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You mean like the time he called an American born federal judge a Mexican and suggested he couldn't do his job?
Yes, exactly like that. Not racism.
Or his comments that offered the impression of Mexicans entering the U.S. as criminals with "some" good ones mixed in?
A perfectly valid statistically based conclusion to draw. It doesn't matter that you would have characterized the statistics differently; statistics are what they are. You know that.
You ever heard someone say something racist and then tell you they weren't racist?
No.
The woman who called Obama's wife a gorilla did that. It happens. Most people are the hero of their own narratives.
I can't tell what that has to do with President Trump believing that he has always judged people based on merit, and never on race or sex or any other variable, other than performance and projected performance.
Nazis had power, these people have none, and never will.
No, at first they didn't. And some people doubtless thought they never would. Not in Germany.
These people have no power and never will. Hitler was a political genius---there's no political genius here.
I'm not arguing against the first Amendment.
Then you should explain yourself, because many many people think that you are. Please link to pertinent First Amendment SCOTUS cases to help illustrate that your views are authoritative also. I'm thinking the "yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater" is on point, for example.
Or the post before that one:

The easy answer is that I have no idea what your education and background are so I can't know what is or isn't familiar to you. It was used by someone as plain speaking as Harry S. Truman, made famous by Lord Chesterfield and is nothing more or less than a natural reflection of my own background and education.

It's okay to ask or google if you run across a word or phrase that's unfamiliar to you for any number of reasons. I love it when that happens. Puts another arrow in the quiver. It's less okay to make a production out of it
Well that's why I mentioned it!
or cast aspersions as to my intent because you didn't get it.
I got it. It wasn't about your intent, it's about what you actually, factually did. You said "man of parts." Nobody knows what "man of parts" means, so you are "making a production out of it."
I love that one.
That needs context. So what what, by way of?
Go back and read my actual post, instead of just your bad editing. There's a whole paragraph between the two sentences you quoted me on. As if I just wrote them continuously.
. . . why would someone having a temper mean that they'll kill someone if you give them a gun?
A man with a temper is at odds with his wife. It's irresponsible to put any temptation in easy reach. It doesn't have to be a likely outcome, but the potential for disaster is foreseeable and your actions in leaving the means to make it more likely than without it isn't without moral weight, even if you have no criminal liability.
It isn't without moral weight, if your intention is for him to kill his wife! But barring that, this is not a moral matter.
A person is responsible for their actions.
. . . there've been plenty of murderers who are cool as a cucumber.
And some who are left handed. Some probably liked Snickers. There are likely any number of curious potential points unrelated to mine.
Correct, and good show!
Or maybe all you did is say, "Women" and give him that exasperated look of understanding. That appears to be what the lunatic fringe sees in Trump. And he knows it because it's been there for a while. A thing that should make a man of parts set a different rhetorical course.
Who accused him of being that?
Of using irresponsible with inflammatory rhetoric? Anyone who followed his comments over the course of his campaign who wasn't wedded to it. I've reposted some of that rhetoric in rebutting PJ's "He only said something like that once and took it back/regretted it" song and dance.
No, of being a "man of parts."
You think the Jews who lived in Germany stayed because they thought the Brown Shirts would come to power there?
They're still never going to have power.
The analogy wasn't cynical, it simply wasn't willfully naive. If you don't think it's apt then by all means tell me why in particular.
I did. I gave a counter analogy.
I've never said or thought you were slow. I've noted a tendency to be blind to the facts when your rooting interests are fully engaged.
Not slow; blind. Got it.
I didn't suggest he was...
You're talking about his morals. How else am I supposed to engage? Why else are you mentioning his morals?
what I did note is that I've been speaking to a broader moral accountability on Trump's part for the alt right response to his rhetorical approach, not some sense of literal, criminal liability framed by the intent to cause harm.
So you judge his "rhetorical approach" to be immoral. That's one of the more bizarre opinions I've run across wrt to President Trump, to be honest. I've heard plenty of opinions that opine that his rhetorical approach is untraditional and unpresidential, but none so far besides yours, that it is literally immoral how he says what he says. Not what he says, but how he says it; that's immoral; is that what you're saying?
So we might as well consider the pedophile and ourselves on the same moral ground? No.
Yes. There are grave sins and and there are light sins, but they are all immoral, and we all commit immorality. And immorality is why we deserve to die forever in hellfire, and the single remedy that He offers us couldn't be simpler and is that we should believe HE IS RISEN.
That's not the message. The message is that for all our distinctions we're still unworthy, that the best of us absent grace is in trouble if he argues for getting what he deserves. Did God set aside distinct punishments under the Law in the OT or did he say, "They're [offenses] all the same so just kill the offender for any and every transgression"?
Supra. Unless what you're suggesting is that President Trump is guilty of crimes, which is specifically what you've denied so far.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I thought you might like to see it not because I think you're a racist, but because in our conversation I'd mentioned to you something to the effect that the values of the magisterium, which you accept as your authority, will be consistently at odds with the values of a Trump doctrine.
President Trump hasn't given any indication that he anything other than believes in and supports the right to religious liberty and freedom of religion and separation between religion and state; and in my judgment of the Church's teachings, these are the highest values in the public square, overarching all other morals that also extrapolate into, and have relevance in public policymaking. So long as he doesn't turn on the First Amendment for some reason, there's no serious difference between the Church's interests and the president's. The Church wants to be left alone, and wants to leave civil power alone, and if the feeling is mutual, then that's going to be fine. President Trump hasn't been indicating any hostility against any religion, going very far back in his life, and continuing to today. He's not a moral leader, most certainly by example, and for me personally also, because I've chosen to believe in the magisterium as the only legitimate authority in teaching morals, and not the president. But he believes in and supports the right to religious liberty, as does the Church. They are at the highest level in agreement.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes, exactly like that. Not racism.
I think I see your problem then. It was an entirely racist remark. Calling the judge Mexican. Why? He wasn't. Trump knew that. So why did he call him that? Hint: he was speaking to others. Now who is that going to resonate with and why? Who is the sort of person whose sympathy is won by that?

A perfectly valid statistically based conclusion to draw.
Painting the good as the exceptional. No, I think that's a long way from valid as points go.

I asked: You ever heard someone say something racist and then tell you they weren't racist?
That's remarkable. Happens all the time. Happens online a lot too. The woman who called Michele Obama a gorilla followed it with exactly that phrase.

I can't tell what that has to do with President Trump believing that he has always judged people based on merit
Then I'll tell you. Sometimes people who are racist don't believe themselves to be. Or they don't want others to think it, even if on some level they know likely know they are. But if you pay attention to what they say or write long enough you can generally discover the truth.

These people have no power and never will. Hitler was a political genius---there's no political genius here.
I imagine there were people in Germany who dismissed Hitler the way you're dismissing the newest movement. And while I tend to agree with you that it can't happen here, understanding that many people thought the same thing about a Trump presidency...

Then you should explain yourself, because many many people think that you are.
Who are they and what makes them think that? I think they or you as their representative have to ask particular questions or make particular claims I can answer.

I got it. It wasn't about your intent, it's about what you actually, factually did. You said "man of parts." Nobody knows what "man of parts" means, so you are "making a production out of it."
See, you can't say nobody knows what it means and then say you know what it means. I knew and I used it. You say you know but apparently think the rest of TOL isn't as well read or exposed as we are. I didn't make that assumption.

Go back and read my actual post, instead of just your bad editing.
I don't believe that's the problem.

It isn't without moral weight, if your intention is for him to kill his wife! But barring that, this is not a moral matter.
That's silly. If you understand that leaving the gun accessible can have foreseeable, negative consequences, but you do it anyway you have a level of moral responsibility. And that remains the point with Trumps incendiary rhetoric. The easy proof is all around us at present, the emboldened racism in the public square.

No, of being a "man of parts."
He offers himself as one. He knows more than generals, etc.

You're talking about his morals. How else am I supposed to engage?
On the actual point. You're saying that if I note your best friend is a thief your response to that would be, "I don't get my personal habits from my friend"? Because I'm not talking about your habit in that case any more than I was speaking to your morality in the other.

Why else are you mentioning his morals?
Because it goes to his character, his actions, and the consequences that attend them.

So you judge his "rhetorical approach" to be immoral.
I believe he has willfully contributed to a destabilizing of the Republic, spread contempt for its institutions, and given comfort and support to elements within it that have no real allegiance to its well being. So yes.

That's one of the more bizarre opinions I've run across wrt to President Trump, to be honest. I've heard plenty of opinions that opine that his rhetorical approach is untraditional and unpresidential, but none so far besides yours, that it is literally immoral how he says what he says.
Rhetorical approach would be the kind and quality of his rhetoric, not his delivery. I'm talking about content.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You do understand that the Sheriff was convicted for upholding the law he was sworn to uphold ?
He defied a judge's lawful order. That's like a private deciding what order he's going to follow on the battlefield. He didn't do his job.

The criminal charge grew out of a lawsuit filed a decade ago charging that the sheriff’s office regularly violated the rights of Latinos, stopping people based on racial profiling, detaining them based solely on the suspicion that they were in the country illegally, and turning them over to the immigration authorities. - NY Times, July 31, 2017​

Liberals are such hypocrites and people are waking up to their hypocrisy.
The hypocrite would be someone touting law and order and supporting the actions that don't uphold that idea. Just throwing that word at liberals doesn't have the force of either reason or law, dodge.

dodge

He defied a judge's lawful order. That's like a private deciding what order he's going to follow on the battlefield. He didn't do his job.

The criminal charge grew out of a lawsuit filed a decade ago charging that the sheriff’s office regularly violated the rights of Latinos, stopping people based on racial profiling, detaining them based solely on the suspicion that they were in the country illegally, and turning them over to the immigration authorities. - NY Times, July 31, 2017​

The hypocrite would be someone touting law and order and supporting the actions that don't uphold that idea. Just throwing that word at liberals doesn't have the force of either reason or law, dodge.

The judges "lawful" order violated (ignored) the federal immigration laws ! The sheriff followed the law that the left wants ignored. The reason the left wants the immigration laws ignored is to build up their voter base, which make them not only STUPID UN lawful idiots but also glaring hypocrites.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
there's no serious difference between the Church's interests and the president's

There's a massive difference, starting with the Pope's "bridges not walls" approach to the treatment of immigrants.

But I'll leave you to believe what you want to believe.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You do understand that the Sheriff was convicted for upholding the law he was sworn to uphold ?

Liberals are such hypocrites and people are waking up to their hypocrisy.

You don't understand why he was convicted.

It's no surprise that Trump pardoned Arpaio, seeing how alike the two of them are. Neither appear to have much respect for the rule of law if the rule of law doesn't align with what they want to do, and they're both attention-seeking carnival hucksters.

Arpaio got off easy, considering how his tenure was riddled with abuses of power.

dodge

annabenedetti;5089285]You don't understand why he was convicted.

Sure I do Arpaio got convicted because he made the left lunatics mad because he enforced the law.

It's no surprise that Trump pardoned Arpaio, seeing how alike the two of them are. Neither appear to have much respect for the rule of law if the rule of law doesn't align with what they want to do, and they're both attention-seeking carnival hucksters.

Translated they both want those sworn to enforce the law to actually enforce the law.

Arpaio got off easy, considering how his tenure was riddled with abuses of power.

Arapio got exactly what he deserved which was a pardon.

Everyone knows it is all about the demon rats building up their voter base. IF the folks walking in from Mexico were conservatives the wall would have been built years ago.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The judges "lawful" order violated (ignored) the federal immigration laws !
Arpaio admitted to breaking the law, dodge. His defense was that he and his deputies didn't realize they were doing it, that the one judge's orders weren't altogether clear.

The sheriff followed the law that the left wants ignored.
The trier of fact responded to Arpaio's defense by holding that he,"willfully violated the order by failing to do anything to ensure his subordinates' compliance and by directing them to continue to detain persons for whom no criminal charges could be filed."

From an Atlantic article on the topic:

In her 14-page ruling, Bolton...wrote that “testimony shows that Defendant knew of the order and what the order meant in regards to the [Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office] policy of detaining persons who did not have state charges for turnover to [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] for civil immigration violations. Despite this knowledge, Defendant broadcast to the world and to his subordinates that he would and they should continue ‘what he had always been doing.’”

And there's this disturbing side bar on Joe's tactics and respect for the chain of command:

In May 2014, a deputy on Arpaio’s immigration-sweep team who’d been arrested on drug charges hung himself on his pool table, leaving behind a video-taped suicide note in which he threatened to expose the sheriff’s office. Deputies department wide, including those on the immigration-sweep team, had made thousands of audio and video recordings of traffic stops and never turned them over to plaintiffs in the Melendres case. When investigators searched the dead deputy’s home, they found some of these recordings and, along with drugs and illegal weapons, hundreds of stolen IDs, Mexican passports, licenses, Social Security cards, all believed to have been confiscated during traffic stops and deliberately hidden. Judge Snow asked Arpaio to turn over the tapes, as well as those from recorded interactions with deputies across the department, and to gather them quietly to avoid tempting deputies to destroy or lose evidence. Instead, Arpaio’s office sent out a mass email alerting supervisors.

Status
Not open for further replies.