Ann Coulter: There is no campus rape crisis

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Gays on campus would absolutely need to be brought into the new rape rules. Of course it matters. We're talking about sexual litigation on campus.

We're talking about what Coulter said about rape victims, remember?

Do scan your OP for the word gay, I assure you, it's not there.

I think we need to bring this discourse up to a more sophisticated level. I'm not interested in mud-slinging; I'm interested in how these new laws will effect higher education.
Who's slinging mud? I'm interested in your take on Coulter's words, since you were interested enough in what she said to make a thread about it.

Here again is what you bolded and highlighted in the OP:

In an appearance on talk radio’s The Lars Larson Show last week, conservative talking head Ann Coulter claimed that women who report rapes, most of the time, are just “girls trying to get attention.”

According to Right Wing Watch, the Godless author said that a botched Rolling Stone story about a campus rape at the University of Virginia just shows that “there is no campus rape problem.”

Coulter dismissed the notion of date or acquaintance rape out of hand, insisting that unless a victim gets “hit on the head with a brick,” it isn’t a legitimate rape.

“People know what a rape is,” Coulter insisted, “and to have girls trying to get attention — from Lena Dunham to this poor psychotic at UVA, Lady Gaga claiming she was raped but she didn’t admit it to herself for five years. What major crime do people say, ‘I didn’t admit it to myself?’”

In a second part of the interview, the 53-year-old pundit said that liberals are vastly overplaying instances of campus rape, which, in her experience is generally perpetrated by liberal men like the “Clintons and Kennedys,” anyway. Listen to Coulter’s remarks, embedded below via Right Wing Watch:
By all means, elaborate on the bolded and the highlighted, and her other quotes I gave you.

I wish Zippy2006 hadn't left TOL, because he would know how to speak objectively on this. I do see why he felt he had to leave.........
Do you like fish? Because that's quite a red herring you're dragging across the road.

GFR7

Who's slinging mud? I'm interested in your take on Coulter's words, since you were interested enough in what she said to make a thread about it.

By all means, elaborate on the bolded and the highlighted, and her other quotes I gave you.

Do you like fish? Because that's quite a red herring you're dragging across the road.
I think Coulter is right in some instances, but that this would not apply to everyone. But it would to some, yes.

And Coulter's was just the piece that came up in my feed: Really, I am wanting to discuss new rules on campus. She was just a segue in. I don't want to be limited to her. She was a starting point. The gay is implicit in the issue; I don't care if Coulter mentioned them or not. Hers is not the last word by any means.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I already figured that out. Sorry, not interested in your segue.

So ... if, according to Ann, rape only happens if someone is hit over the head with a brick, I guess having a knife held to one's throat or being threatened with a gun doesn't count.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
She is the best friend of anyone who believes rape is no big deal by standing against up for rapists and against their victims.

Yeah. No big deal. In fact, let's make it a big joke:

College must be difficult for white, straight coeds, because it's so hard to be a victim. You're not black, you're not gay, you don't have leprosy -- what can you do to acquire victim cool? Join the rape club!

GFR7

So ... if, according to Ann, rape only happens if someone is hit over the head with a brick, I guess having a knife held to one's throat or being threatened with a gun doesn't count.
I don't think she meant that to be taken literally.....

Quincy

I doubt she understands trauma, or shock and the effects either can have on people. From what I've heard, she isn't even able to tell you her actual birthday, I wouldn't trust her with a can of air. People can be in denial for a long time.

As for intoxicated people giving consent.... if someone is intoxicated against their will, then their consent, signature, etc etc will be invalid in most cases...... That's common sense. That's clearly rape. If you get drunk and make bad choices, then that's unfortunate but it's going to be difficult to prove anyone did anything criminal.

Two stupid things people do:

Think yes always means yes and thinking that they should be free to frolic around like a drunken nymph and expect no one to take advantage of it.

GFR7

images

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
So by extension, women over 18 who are intoxicated during sex should be responsible for consent, right?
Unless their intoxication is not by choice. Then again even if they did choose it it can be an issue depending on their level of intoxication.

I say it should be standard practice to discuss consent before intoxication begins. If she isn't willing to have sex with you when she's sober then don't believe her when she consents under the influence.

Apparently Anna doesn't think gays are people.

As for intoxicated people giving consent.... if someone is intoxicated against their will, then their consent, signature, etc etc will be invalid in most cases...... That's common sense. That's clearly rape. If you get drunk and make bad choices, then that's unfortunate but it's going to be difficult to prove anyone did anything criminal.
True dat.

Two stupid things people do:

Think yes always means yes and thinking that they should be free to frolic around like a drunken nymph and expect no one to take advantage of it.
Yeah

zoo22

You just have an agenda, that's all. You thought you'd turn what Coulter said about women back to your favorite topic. You're totally transparent.

Transparent. Decent choice. I probably would have used "obsessed," or maybe "driven by some intense, deep-rooted compulsion."

"Bewitched" might work.

I know: "Bedazzled."