Personal Freedom vs. Public Welfare

Arthur Brain

It's not a law designed to be "just". It's designed to prevent people from having automobile accidents, and to make smoother flow of traffic.

Please explain what traffic would look like in your ideal country, the one with no traffic laws.

Presumably one where he can drive to a bar, get sozzled in it and then get back in his car and drive home, hopefully without hitting anybody on the way back.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It's not a law designed to be "just".

All laws should be designed to be just. The quality of justness should take primacy when designing a law.

It's designed to prevent people from having automobile accidents, and to make smoother flow of traffic.

If it can't achieve that while being just then it's poorly designed.

Please explain what traffic would look like in your ideal country, the one with no traffic laws.

:yawn: strawman

Arthur Brain

All laws should be designed to be just. The quality of justness should take primacy when designing a law.

If it can't achieve that while being just then it's poorly designed.

:yawn: strawman

Fair enough. Any dipstick who decides to drive home while drunk should face the full force of the law, have their license revoked, be made to pay restitution for the endangerment they've posed to other people and an additional fine for whining about it.

ok doser

Fair enough. Any dipstick who decides to drive home while drunk should face the full force of the law, have their license revoked, be made to pay restitution for the endangerment they've posed to other people and an additional fine for whining about it.

I drove home drunk last night, carefully and cautiously, and arrived safely having encountered no other cars or pedestrians, having inconvenienced nobody else on the road.

Who was harmed by my decision to drive drunk last night?

Arthur Brain

I drove home drunk last night, carefully and cautiously, and arrived safely having encountered no other cars or pedestrians, having inconvenienced nobody else on the road.

Who was harmed by my decision to drive drunk last night?

Oh, so you do this repeatedly then? Drive somewhere, get drunk and then drive back home do you? Your parameters of "carefully and cautiously" are already affected by your being drunk so you're not being responsible in any of this, you do realize that, right? Supposing you had encountered other cars or pedestrians on the road last night and your reaction times were reduced whereby you'd caused an accident?

ok doser

Oh, so you do this repeatedly then? Drive somewhere, get drunk and then drive back home do you? Your parameters of "carefully and cautiously" are already affected by your being drunk so you're not being responsible in any of this, you do realize that, right? Supposing you had encountered other cars or pedestrians on the road last night and your reaction times were reduced whereby you'd caused an accident?

Who was harmed by my decision to drive home drunk last night?

chair

iirc, you haven't answered this one either

Arthur Brain

chair

iirc, you haven't answered this one either

Well, you if you claim to be indwelt with the Holy Spirit if nobody else. Would the Holy Spirit endorse such reckless behaviour whereby somebody else could be hurt or killed by such irresponsible behaviour on your part? Why are you even getting drunk before getting behind the wheel of a car in the first place if you claim to have such indwelling?

If your argument is predicated solely on "Hey, I got home safe" then wow, good for you. So responsible.

ok doser

OK, so we have an answer from Arthur Brain - me

artie believes that I was harmed by my decision to drive home drunk last night

In what way was I harmed artie, by my decision to drive home drunk last night?

And would you agree that nobody else was harmed by my decision to drive home drunk last night?

chair

chair

It's not a law designed to be "just". It's designed to prevent people from having automobile accidents, and to make smoother flow of traffic.

chair

You repeat your strawman? :yawn:

1. You did not hurt anybody driving home drunk last night. Will you tomorrow night?- I don't know.
2. it is not a strawman. you have insisted that current traffic laws are unjust, and even compared the thinking behind them to Nazi thinking. So what is your alternative? A real answer, this time, if you have one.

ok doser

1. You did not hurt anybody driving home drunk last night.

exactly!

The answer to my question "who was harmed" is "NOBODY"

Now, will you agree that a law that seeks to punish me for engaging in a behavior/action from which no one is harmed is unjust?

ok doser

The question is- what ought to be the limitations on this? I'm obviously bringing this up because of the current mask issue, but the problem is a general one.

How does one draw the line?

This line of dialog on my part is and always has been an attempt to directly address the questions YOU asked in the OP.

The limitations ought to be when the laws/regulations are unjust.

One draws the line at laws that are unjust.

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

OK, so we have an answer from Arthur Brain - me

artie believes that I was harmed by my decision to drive home drunk last night

In what way was I harmed artie, by my decision to drive home drunk last night?

And would you agree that nobody else was harmed by my decision to drive home drunk last night?

chair

Um, no, I didn't say you were harmed or that anybody else was either. That you irresponsibly choose to break the law and put yourself and others at risk doesn't automatically result in you or anyone else being hurt but it exponentially increases the risk of such coming about.

There's no excuse for that. If you were pulled over by the cops and were over the limit then you would deserve to have the full force of the law thrown at you.

ok doser

ok doser

And how are you going to do that without unjust laws like "stop at a red light", "you have to have working brake lights", "drive on the right side of the road", "don't drive while drunk"?

By first recognizing that any law that seeks to punish me for engaging in a behavior or action from which no one is harmed is inherently unjust