Personal Freedom vs. Public Welfare

Lon

There's a reason that health care professionals - nurses, doctors, physical therapists, respiratory therapists - who have to work with infectious patients wear masks that are very different from the cloth masks that we're all being advised to wear.

Not even sure if those masks work as well. The shields might be of help, but the Covid virus is very small and healthcare workers are about 30 times at risk than the rest of us, many of them getting it despite precautions. Experience will be 20/20 hindsight. I might buy one of the coal masks if I were in the healthcare profession. -Lon

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
If masks work then Kung Flu infection rates in Muslim countries for women should be zero, yes?
lol, I guess. I'll have to see if I can find the video comparing the spittle that flies out of your mouth when you're speaking, with no covering, with one cloth, with two cloths, and with a surgical mask. With two cloths it's basically identical to wearing a surgical mask.

Last edited:

expos4ever

If masks work then Kung Flu infection rates in Muslim countries for women should be zero, yes?
As much as I am repulsed at thought of lowering myself to engage with someone who uses the term "Kung Flu" - as if you don't know that this only serves to re-enforce the racist thinking - I will point out that, of course, the infection rate for women in Muslim countries would not be zero. Lower, yes, assuming other things are equal. But zero, no.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Not even sure if those masks work as well. The shields might be of help, but the Covid virus is very small and healthcare workers are about 30 times at risk than the rest of us, many of them getting it despite precautions. Experience will be 20/20 hindsight. I might buy one of the coal masks if I were in the healthcare profession. -Lon

When we first had to wear masks up here back in March I was tempted to dig out my welding gear. I had a lightly tinted full face shield for cutting steel that would have been perfect.

Also considered the full face respirator that I used for spray painting. :)

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Hypocrite.

False.

You have said far worse things of me

To what, exactly, are you referring? Quote it.

Far worse than what?

- and untrue ones at that.

LOL

By adding this little bit, are you saying that, if you considered the "far worse things" you say I've said about you to be true, then they'd not be "far worse things"?

By contrast, my statements are essentially accurate.

False. You're merely one more angry, Nazi leftard parrot.

I have ZERO concern about being banned from this cesspool

In other words, your sole purpose here is to be a troll. Thanks for the info.

- I would almost welcome it.

What an asinine thing to say: "I would almost welcome it". What (if anything) do you even mean by that? Do you mean that you just can't keep yourself from getting on TOL and manifesting yourself to be the shameless fool you manifest yourself to be on TOL, and so you would welcome someone to make it impossible for you to do what is beyond your pathetically weak capacity for self-control to keep yourself from doing?

Why would you welcome someone else (TOL administration) making it impossible for you to do what you could, if you so choose, on your own volition, simply not do? Are you really that impulsive? You really can't help yourself from choosing to log on to TOL?

See, a rationally-functioning person would simply think something along the lines of, "I do not like to use TOL, and I'm under no compulsion to use TOL, ergo, I will simply no longer use TOL; I have no need of being prevented, by external factors--things beyond my control--from using TOL". But, I see you prefer to be a drama queen, rather than a rationally-functioning person.

ok doser

False.

To what, exactly, are you referring? Quote it.

Far worse than what?

LOL

By adding this little bit, are you saying that, if you considered the "far worse things" you say I've said about you to be true, then they'd not be "far worse things"?

False. You're merely one more angry, Nazi leftard parrot.

In other words, your sole purpose here is to be a troll. Thanks for the info.

What an asinine thing to say: "I would almost welcome it". What (if anything) do you even mean by that? Do you mean that you just can't keep yourself from getting on TOL and manifesting yourself to be the shameless fool you manifest yourself to be on TOL, and so you would welcome someone to make it impossible for you to do what is beyond your pathetically weak capacity for self-control to keep yourself from doing?

Why would you welcome someone else (TOL administration) making it impossible for you to do what you could, if you so choose, on your own volition, simply not do? Are you really that impulsive? You really can't help yourself from choosing to log on to TOL?

See, a rationally-functioning person would simply think something along the lines of, "I do not like to use TOL, and I'm under no compulsion to use TOL, ergo, I will simply no longer use TOL; I have no need of being prevented, by external factors--things beyond my control--from using TOL". But, I see you prefer to be a drama queen, rather than a rationally-functioning person.

I was an active participant on PJ's site last year until circumstances arose that made me feel no longer welcome so I logged off and I don't go back. No drama, easy-peasy.

expos4ever

Demonstrably true, in fact. You are a hypocrite precisely because you criticized me for using offensive language - which I did - when you used more offensive language directed at me. And while I was arguably justified in my use of a certain disallowed term, you have zero evidence that I remotely qualify for any of the kind labels you applied to me. Here is what you wrote:

Don't you know you're not welcome to say that highlighted thing on TOL, you vicious enemy of God, truth, logic and mankind? You can get kicked right off here for that, lickety-split.

MAGA (Mask All Gullible Apes)

That's you, Nazi leftard: a gullible ape
It is obvious that calling someone an "enemy of God", and an "enemy of truth" (effectively a liar), and an "enemy of mankind" is at least as damning as the terms I used.

How can you possibly deny that your behaviour in this instance was hypocritical?

expos4ever

Funny, you whiny hypocritical leftists weren't offended by the term when bammy was using it :think:

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...ficial-campai/
Oh, the idiocy.

I should not need to say this but it appears that I do: If some group that does not fall under the authority of Mr. Obama's sphere of control uses the term "kung flu" during Mr. Obama's presidency, Mr. Obama bears no responsibility.

Now then: Where is the evidence that the use of this term was in any way sanctioned by the Obama administration?

And even if Mr. Obama directly ordered the use of the term "kung flu", it was not at all comparable to what Mr. Trump is doing precisely because there was no issue of the flu coming from China (or, perhaps Chine-ee, as you might pronounce it) during Mr. Obama's tenure. The reason why Mr. Trump's use of the term is problematic is precisely because Covid arose in China, and there is therefore a motivation to blame the Chinese (or "them yeller people", as you might well say).

You cannot possibly be so dumb as to not understand this. Therefore, I suggest you must be engaging in trolling behavior.

Mr. Trump is clearly stoking racist sentiment with his use of the term "kung flu" - any numbskull can see this.

ok doser

Oh, the idiocy.

I should not need to say this but it appears that I do: If some group that does not fall under the authority of Mr. Obama's sphere of control uses the term "kung flu" during Mr. Obama's presidency, Mr. Obama bears no responsibility.

Now then: Where is the evidence that the use of this term was in any way sanctioned by the Obama administration?

And even if Mr. Obama directly ordered the use of the term "kung flu", it was not at all comparable to what Mr. Trump is doing precisely because there was no issue of the flu coming from China (or, perhaps Chine-ee, as you might pronounce it) during Mr. Obama's tenure. The reason why Mr. Trump's use of the term is problematic is precisely because Covid arose in China, and there is therefore a motivation to blame the Chinese (or "them yeller people", as you might well say).

You cannot possibly be so dumb as to not understand this. Therefore, I suggest you must be engaging in trolling behavior.

Mr. Trump is clearly stoking racist sentiment with his use of the term "kung flu" - any numbskull can see this.

:darwinsm:

Like I said, you tards should be made to wear a sign

Lon

They don't wear their hijab 24 hours a day, and for most denominations it doesn't cover their mouth and nose. So you're wrong on this one.

So is the one that covers the face called something else? A burka? With media outlets, truth is hard to come by. How do women generally appear in public? I'd guess its all academic, as we'd not even know if such really does keep the virus at bay (too many factors, I think, for this part of the conversation to have much more than an aside). Muslim countries don't seem to be fairing well with this virus, but likely has little to do with coverings). -Lon

Gary K

Banned
So is the one that covers the face called something else? A burka? With media outlets, truth is hard to come by. How do women generally appear in public? I'd guess its all academic, as we'd not even know if such really does keep the virus at bay (too many factors, I think, for this part of the conversation to have much more than an aside). Muslim countries don't seem to be fairing well with this virus, but likely has little to do with coverings). -Lon

This is not true. Malaysia had a population of 28.3 million as of 2010. They have a total of 123 deaths and 8900+ infections. That's a death rate of of 0.00043%. I'd say they have dealt with it far better than the US has as the US death rate is 458/million and Malaysia's death rate is 4.3/million. Other nations with significant Muslim populations also are doing very well. Somalia's death rate is 6/million. Nigeria's is 4/million. Democratic Republic of Congo's is 2.3/million. Uganda's is 0.0/million. Mozambique's is 0.4/million. Cote d'Ivoire's is 4.2/million. Niger's is 2.8/million. Congo's is 10/million. Zimbabwe's is 3/million. Milawi's is 5/million. Kenya's is 6/million.

Doesn't it make you wonder why this is happening? Why do the supposedly best medical establishments in the world fail and the poorest countries have death rates 43 to 1000+ times less than ours? Those 11 countries combined have an average death rate of 3.97/million. That's more than 100 times smaller than ours. If we even came close to that average the total number of deaths in the US would be less than 2000. Points to a very large failure on the part of our medical establishment.

Lon

This is not true. Malaysia had a population of 28.3 million as of 2010.
Not sure you are arguing the same point here. One has little to do with the other.

They have a total of 123 deaths and 8900+ infections. That's a death rate of of 0.00043%.
Not sure where you are getting your figures from, it'd be 1.3% The U.S. is 3%. What affects those differences? Burkas? How spread out the country is? How much control government has over gatherings?

I'd say they have dealt with it far better than the US has as the US death rate is 458/million and Malaysia's death rate is 4.3/million.
Need a link. Here is the one I'm using.

Other nations with significant Muslim populations also are doing very well. Somalia's death rate is 6/million. Nigeria's is 4/million. Democratic Republic of Congo's is 2.3/million. Uganda's is 0.0/million. Mozambique's is 0.4/million. Cote d'Ivoire's is 4.2/million. Niger's is 2.8/million. Congo's is 10/million. Zimbabwe's is 3/million. Milawi's is 5/million. Kenya's is 6/million.

Doesn't it make you wonder why this is happening? Why do the supposedly best medical establishments in the world fail and the poorest countries have death rates 43 to 1000+ times less than ours?
Not according to the site I gave you. It is only a couple times greater. There can be a couple of reasons for that. My question was whether burkas help or not. They could, it was a question, but Chair had said the muslims where he lives wear something else.

Those 11 countries combined have an average death rate of 3.97/million. That's more than 100 times smaller than ours. If we even came close to that average the total number of deaths in the US would be less than 2000. Points to a very large failure on the part of our medical establishment.
:nono: Death rates are # per every 1000. Malaysia is 5.5 and the U.S 8.9 for every 1000 people and it includes Coronavirus. The Covid virus is a small part of that percentage. Death rate simply means how many in a thousand die each year by the numbers (traffic accidents, old age, etc. etc. ). Out of a thousand, you are only talking about a couple of points in a thousand: I.E. 6/1000 vs 9/1000 ( 0% or .3% difference, virtually no significant difference).

Such does not answer my question regarding the #'s however, nor is comparison with the U.S. necessary to qualify "not fairing well." There can be any number of reasons for #'s and I was asking about coverings (getting caught up in details otherwise). Perhaps they do help, no? But not if they aren't covering their noses and mouths, it'd have to be some other factor.

Arthur Brain

No. Nobody is suggesting that. You should wear your mask in public places.

Yep, pretty straightforward stuff. I wear one each time I go to shopping, no big deal. Anyone who whines about wearing one is a snowflake and then some, seriously, what hassle is it to wear a darn mask?

Arthur Brain

Oh, the idiocy.

Don't underestimate the lack of intellect with trolls. They're generally not very bright...

;)

ok doser

Yep, pretty straightforward stuff. I wear one each time I go to shopping, no big deal. Anyone who whines about wearing one is a snowflake and then some, seriously, what hassle is it to wear a darn mask?

Try wearing one while working outside in the hot sun, high humidity while carrying 40 pounds of gear over uneven ground.

Try wearing one all day in the hospital working as an orderly, pushing a mop, scrubbing toilets, changing soiled sheets, giving sponge baths to incapacitated patients

Yes of course to your prissy little imagination you think that it concerns nothing more than going shopping.

To the McDonald's worker behind the counter toiling all day over hot grills, hot fry baskets, it's something very different.

To the grocery store worker stocking shelves on the overnight shift so that you can prance in all prissy in the morning and pick up your avocado toast and frappa latte, it's something very different