Here's why Trump wants us all to go back to work

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The case fatality rate for COVID-19 in the USA as of 26 March 2020 is 1.4% -- https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

That mortality rate is 1.4% percent of those that contracted the disease, it certainly is not a snapshot of the population or, those that have been infected which is still an unknown, you could have already had it & thought you had a cold, the CDC has said as much. You really have a pessimistic outlook here, do you live in New York? I could see your concern if you live in one of the urban centers where catching this is more plausible but, really by the numbers the chances of contraction, much less death is pretty remote. Certainly we Americans should all have concern, and be more vigilant to the situations that might allow for contraction but, I am not gonna live my life in fear of it, you are certainly free to react to this how you please.

Arthur Brain

No, he hasn' lied but, China has lied about it, and continues to lie about it. There is no bullying or coercion happening to the American citizenry attempting to get people back to a sense of normalcy, and to rebuild what has been lost during this China virus crisis. The WHO has set the mortality rate at 3.4% percent worldwide which is pretty low considering the the world population is estimated at 7.8 billion, and here in the US there have been under 2500 deaths in a population of 331million which is well under 1% so, why not get our economy rolling again, get people back to work, save failing business', before we have bigger problems like economic depression. Trump is absolutely correct when he says " the cure cannot be more harmful than the disease", there are far more unpleasant long term effects to our nation than COVID-19 if we don't attempt to pull out of this soon. It is clear from your hyperbole that you hate the man, I, and judging from his high approval numbers, a majority of Americans agree that our president has, and continues to handle this crisis well. If you wanna place blame for lying about the severity of this virus from it's inception, than at least be honest with yourself, and place the blame where it belongs, right at the feet of the tyrannical communist regime that authored & has lied about it even to this day....China....They are not the world's friend, they are a threat to the world, and it is high time people recognize that fact.

He's lied about his positions on it, the timeline shows that in his own words. I strongly suspect China has and is lying about it so no disagreement on that score. Even Trump himself has acknowledged that his initial hopes of having things back to normal by Easter isn't going to happen with the spread of this thing and possibly not until August. If you lift restrictions before that all you'll accomplish is allowing this virus to spread unchecked, more people falling ill and dying from it and an overburdened health system that's struggling to cope with the escalating cases happening even with containment measures enforced. That doesn't help the economy, it doesn't help anything and would be the height of irresponsibility. This is a pandemic and it hasn't even peaked yet. I don't "hate" the man and where it comes to hyperbole then just look at any given trump gurl thread frankly...

As before, China deserves excoriating and to be recognized as the threat that it is so I ain't a fan and nor do I trust whatever news is broadcast from there.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
That mortality rate is 1.4% percent of those that contracted the disease, it certainly is not a snapshot of the population or, those that have been infected which is still an unknown, you could have already had it & thought you had a cold, the CDC has said as much. You really have a pessimistic outlook here, do you live in New York? I could see your concern if you live in one of the urban centers where catching this is more plausible but, really by the numbers the chances of contraction, much less death is pretty remote. Certainly we Americans should all have concern, and be more vigilant to the situations that might allow for contraction but, I am not gonna live my life in fear of it, you are certainly free to react to this how you please.

The coronavirus will eventually spread throughout the population, but if it spreads too rapidly, hospitals will be overwhelmed. For example, the seriously ill will need ventilators but there are only so many ventilators available in hospitals throughout the country. If they reach max capacity, anyone else who needs one but can't get access will die. That's why schools and non-essential businesses are being told to close, "social distancing" is being recommended, etc. They are trying to slow the spread of the virus down to manageable levels.

Do you know anyone who:

1) is obese
2) is over 70 years of age
3) has diabetes
4) has high blood pressure
5) has asthma
6) has heart disease
7) has chronic respiratory disease
8) smokes/vapes
9) is an HIV patient
10) had a bone marrow or organ transplant
11) is being treated for cancer or any of the autoimmune diseases. --Autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, Addison's disease, celiac disease, multiple sclerosis, pernicious anemia, and psoriasis, increase the risk of developing serious to deadly complications from coronavirus infection. Other autoimmune diseases included in the list are Hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune vasculitis, type 1 diabetes, Graves’ disease, myasthenia gravis, inflammatory bowel disease, and Sjogren's syndrome.

If you or anyone you know fits into any of those categories, they are particularly at risk from this virus.

As if that weren't bad enough, even a few young and fit people are finding themselves in hospitals and on ventilators because of this virus.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
He's lied about his positions on it, the timeline shows that in his own words. I strongly suspect China has and is lying about it so no disagreement on that score. Even Trump himself has acknowledged that his initial hopes of having things back to normal by Easter isn't going to happen with the spread of this thing and possibly not until August. If you lift restrictions before that all you'll accomplish is allowing this virus to spread unchecked, more people falling ill and dying from it and an overburdened health system that's struggling to cope with the escalating cases happening even with containment measures enforced. That doesn't help the economy, it doesn't help anything and would be the height of irresponsibility. This is a pandemic and it hasn't even peaked yet. I don't "hate" the man and where it comes to hyperbole then just look at any given trump gurl thread frankly...

As before, China deserves excoriating and to be recognized as the threat that it is so I ain't a fan and nor do I trust whatever news is broadcast from there.

and yet you refer to Trump six times, and Jinping not once

must have just been an oversight on your part

Arthur Brain

You are attacking me. You speak untruths about me being a fawning silly worshiper. I brought up Boris and Charles because it is strange you want to talk about the US President but not your own leaders.

I am not "attacking" you, or if I am in your opinion then you're "attacking" me by calling me a "mean and hateful person" when I criticize anything to do with the president. As far as I'm concerned you're not but by your own standards here you can't have it both ways.

Charles is not a leader by any stretch and I've zero interest in the royal family as it is. If you want to criticize them or praise them then go for it, wouldn't matter to me, likewise with Johnson. As already explained he's come in for criticism himself with the handling of the outbreak and in some ways I consider it justifiable. It made more sense to put the country in lockdown earlier than encourage people not to go out to pubs and gatherings as it was pretty inevitable it was going to come to this anyway. That being said, I think he's handled things pretty well since then and I'm not a fan of the current administration.

Arthur Brain

The coronavirus will eventually spread throughout the population, but if it spreads too rapidly, hospitals will be overwhelmed. For example, the seriously ill will need ventilators but there are only so many ventilators available in hospitals throughout the country. If they reach max capacity, anyone else who needs one but can't get access will die. That's why schools and non-essential businesses are being told to close, "social distancing" is being recommended, etc. They are trying to slow the spread of the virus down to manageable levels.

Do you know anyone who:

1) is obese
2) is over 70 years of age
3) has diabetes
4) has high blood pressure
5) has asthma
6) has heart disease
7) has chronic respiratory disease
8) smokes/vapes
9) is an HIV patient
10) had a bone marrow or organ transplant
11) is being treated for cancer or any of the autoimmune diseases. --Autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, Addison's disease, celiac disease, multiple sclerosis, pernicious anemia, and psoriasis, increase the risk of developing serious to deadly complications from coronavirus infection. Other autoimmune diseases included in the list are Hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune vasculitis, type 1 diabetes, Graves’ disease, myasthenia gravis, inflammatory bowel disease, and Sjogren's syndrome.

If you or anyone you know fits into any of those categories, they are particularly at risk from this virus.

As if that weren't bad enough, even a few young and fit people are finding themselves in hospitals and on ventilators because of this virus.

Exactly, and if you have an influx of cases of Covid-19 then hospitals are not just going to be unable to cope with serious cases of the disease but other serious illnesses as well. This has a huge impact all around. Other diseases aren't on pause while this pandemic plays out...

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Okay Arthur, I agree that Trump has changed positions, he is a politician after all, however, his decisions during this dilemma have been spot on since his first decision to ban all flights from China which he was excoriated as a "racist" for... gets tiring listening to the left with their misuse of the word, using it as a weapon to the point that it has lost it's meaning. We may never know how many people Trump saved by getting out in front of this thing with the travel bans. I certainly see this disease as more of an issue in urban centers but, not for the nation as a whole, nor does the 2500 dead in a country of 331million give me pause given 80,000 died of the flu just last year in the US which really should get more attention in retrospect. These are perilous times which rock any presidency, I have been thoroughly impressed with our president's decisions & resolve through the entire thing. Trumps wanting to put a timeline on it gives people & business owners something to plan for, some hope, and yes economic depression could be far worse for the entire world in the long haul if we don't get the country working again. Time to change up the strategy, and get all the at risk folks to continue in quarantine while those of us that are not at risk get the country moving again, things could be far worse than this pandemic if we don't.

Arthur Brain

Love it! :)
The bosses asked for an army of retired health professionals 90000 start back this weekend.
And they asked for 250000 support workers. 750000 have signed up.

A recovering victim of coronavirus was on telly today. 42yrs, a fitness follower. Gym three times a week. He could barely talk.

The victim list is going to include many younger fitter folks

My wife and I have discussed everything thst we want each other to know, do, communicate etc if either of us gets taken away. Relatives are saying that they never got to see or talk to their loved ones again.

It was a nice moment of levity...:)

There's simply no guarantee with this illness how it's going to affect. There's been several cases of younger people with no underlying health conditions falling seriously ill with it.

I think that's a prudent move on your part and here's hoping it it won't become necessary.

:cheers:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Nobody else seems to be sure of anything like that so what do you know that others don't. Do tell...

I know that the flu killed more people last year in the US than this virus has killed thus far. I think at risk people should be the most concerned about contraction, and that the risk of death is pretty remote in non- at risk people. Concern...yes, Worry...no. Like I said before I have been working every day since this began and feel no more at risk than I would have sitting at home brooding over it.

Arthur Brain

Okay Arthur, I agree that Trump has changed positions, he is a politician after all, however, his decisions during this dilemma have been spot on since his first decision to ban all flights from China which he was excoriated as a "racist" for... gets tiring listening to the left with their misuse of the word, using it as a weapon to the point that it has lost it's meaning. We may never know how many people Trump saved by getting out in front of this thing with the travel bans. I certainly see this disease as more of an issue in urban centers but, not for the nation as a whole, nor does the 2500 dead in a country of 331million give me pause given 80,000 died of the flu just last year in the US which really should get more attention in retrospect. These are perilous times which rock any presidency, I have been thoroughly impressed with our president's decisions & resolve through the entire thing. Trumps wanting to put a timeline on it gives people & business owners something to plan for, some hope, and yes economic depression could be far worse for the entire world in the long haul if we don't get the country working again. Time to change up the strategy, and get all the at risk folks to continue in quarantine while those of us that are not at risk get the country moving again, things could be far worse than this pandemic if we don't.

Well, I wouldn't be one to call him a racist for banning flights from the country of origin, that is stupid. However, even Trump, as outlined before, has backtracked away from his plans to reopen America for business as early as April as it's just ridiculous. This disease hasn't peaked yet, reports indicate that cases are going to continually escalate over the next few weeks and that's certainly what's happening in the UK on a daily basis. The trouble with your position is that everyone is at risk from getting this disease and while it may be more likely that you get a mild version of it there's no guarantee of that, even if you're fit and healthy. How would hospitals cope with the inevitable upshoot of cases if America was back open for business tomorrow? Simple answer: They wouldn't. You'd allow the disease to spread unchecked and not only would there be insufficient capacity to deal with the pandemic itself but people with all sorts of serious illnesses in addition to that. Your short term solution would only be detrimental to the economy, not helpful for it.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

And the fact that health professionals cannot explain why some people contract it and seemingly healthy individuals do, or that not all infected do not have symptoms should make you question some of the data being presented as well. Facts over fear wins every time....

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Well, I wouldn't be one to call him a racist for banning flights from the country of origin, that is stupid. However, even Trump, as outlined before, has backtracked away from his plans to reopen America for business as early as April as it's just ridiculous. This disease hasn't peaked yet, reports indicate that cases are going to continually escalate over the next few weeks and that's certainly what's happening in the UK on a daily basis. The trouble with your position is that everyone is at risk from getting this disease and while it may be more likely that you get a mild version of it there's no guarantee of that, even if you're fit and healthy. How would hospitals cope with the inevitable upshoot of cases if America was back open for business tomorrow? Simple answer: They wouldn't. You'd allow the disease to spread unchecked and not only would there be insufficient capacity to deal with the pandemic itself but people with all sorts of serious illnesses in addition to that. Your short term solution would only be detrimental to the economy, not helpful for it.

In your opinion of course, the fact that they don't know why some infected get the disease & some do not, or that the severity is different among all groups including "at risk" people means that they simply do not know, I certainly see no good reason to continue down this self quarantine path because I am not sure it really is making any difference in the large scope...but, that is my opinion. We will see what happens going forward. :e4e:

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
And the fact that health professionals cannot explain why some people contract it and seemingly healthy individuals do, or that not all infected do not have symptoms should make you question some of the data being presented as well. Facts over fear wins every time....

I have no idea what you're trying to imply with that, but the fact that young and seemingly healthy individuals have fallen victim to COVID-19 suggests that any of us, no matter how invulnerable we may think we are, could potentially fall victim to it as well.