Smoking and Healthcare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking and Healthcare

While re-enrolling in my company's healthcare plan I once again come across their smoking clause (where your paycheck deduction doubles as a smoker.) Which stated: Do you smoke as described below...which was absent from the web sight.

Anyway, since I enjoy my pipe only two to three times a week I entered myself as a non-smoker.

But it made me think, why just ask whether I smoke or not? Why not ask if I eat fast-food more than once a week or imbibe alchoholic beverages more than once a day...perhaps enjoy skydiving, motorcycling, recreational sex or other possibly "risky" activities.

If not, what right do they have asking about personal activities to begin with?

Especially interested in the Libertarian view regarding this.
    _/\_

Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

It’s common for health insurance companies to charge a higher premium for smokers. While smoking isn’t the *only* habit that leads to bad health, it’s one of the most common causes.
    TRUST
    is a fragile thing.

Easy to break, Easy to lose
    and one of the hardest things to
    ever get back.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusha View Post
      It’s common for health insurance companies to charge a higher premium for smokers. While smoking isn’t the *only* habit that leads to bad health, it’s one of the most common causes.
      Sure I get that smoking is not exactly healthy... though if they're going to delve into personal matters due to bottom line considerations, why stop at cigarettes? There's plenty of "unchecked" risky behavior out there. If it's a matter of personal privacy...why is smoking excluded?
      _/\_

Comment

Originally posted by quip View Post
        ... what right do they have asking about personal activities to begin with?
        they have every right to ask any question they like

just as you have every right to answer it in any way you like

Comment

Originally posted by ok doser View Post
          they have every right to ask any question they like.
          Okay, then what's stopping them from asking about my sexual habits or risky hobbies?

just as you have every right to answer it in any way you like
          Are you hinting at your dishonest nature? Perhaps I've just dealt with your witty banter too much here on TOL.
          _/\_

Comment

Originally posted by quip View Post
            Okay, then what's stopping them from asking about my sexual habits or risky hobbies?
            nothing at all

Are you hinting at ...
            most retarded posts start that way

Comment

Working...
            X