Smoking and Healthcare

quip

BANNED
Banned
While re-enrolling in my company's healthcare plan I once again come across their smoking clause (where your paycheck deduction doubles as a smoker.) Which stated: Do you smoke as described below...which was absent from the web sight. :idunno:

Anyway, since I enjoy my pipe only two to three times a week I entered myself as a non-smoker.

But it made me think, why just ask whether I smoke or not? Why not ask if I eat fast-food more than once a week or imbibe alchoholic beverages more than once a day...perhaps enjoy skydiving, motorcycling, recreational sex or other possibly "risky" activities.

If not, what right do they have asking about personal activities to begin with?

Especially interested in the Libertarian view regarding this.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It’s common for health insurance companies to charge a higher premium for smokers. While smoking isn’t the *only* habit that leads to bad health, it’s one of the most common causes.

quip

BANNED
Banned
It’s common for health insurance companies to charge a higher premium for smokers. While smoking isn’t the *only* habit that leads to bad health, it’s one of the most common causes.

Sure I get that smoking is not exactly healthy... though if they're going to delve into personal matters due to bottom line considerations, why stop at cigarettes? There's plenty of "unchecked" risky behavior out there. If it's a matter of personal privacy...why is smoking excluded?