Why do you like cats as pets?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
For women, is it cats are like babies, which never grow up? What about men? I think St. John W. kicks women’s cats when women are not looking? Personally, the cat-box deal turns me off. I do not like strong odors.

What do they do in the house anyway, besides get your house full of cat hair? I can understand, somewhat, i cat in the city one puts out at night and allows in part of the house in the day, but not am ole cat sleeping in my bed!

We always had digs for pets, so, maybe I am a dog person and not a cat person?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
For women, is it cats are like babies, which never grow up? What about men? I think St. John W. kicks women’s cats when women are not looking? Personally, the cat-box deal turns me off. I do not like strong odors.

What do they do in the house anyway, besides get your house full of cat hair? I can understand, somewhat, i cat in the city one puts out at night and allows in part of the house in the day, but not am ole cat sleeping in my bed!

We always had digs for pets, so, maybe I am a dog person and not a cat person?
We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, they each have their own personalities, they're the best !!

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Then if they go their own way, what pleasure do you have keeping them? Do they go out at night?
No, neither go outside. My cat is Lucy, she's 7 yrs old and she stays in my room 12 hours a day and 12 hours in the rest of the house. She sleeps with me when take naps and she loves on me when she's in the mood. Gretchen is the other cat and she is a year old and bounces around the house. Gretchen just showed up one night and came back in with the 2 dogs :rotfl: - We put up signs that we found her but nobody called so we kept her, she is my Mom's cat. We try to keep them separate because Gretchen the young cat pesters Lucy, the mature cat. They are so cute and pretty.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Then if they go their own way, what pleasure do you have keeping them? Do they go out at night?

I would never let my cat be out at night, the coyotes would get them. I hate hearing coyotes yapping, because it means they've cornered some poor creature. Where I'm from, it's always sad to see lost cat signs up, because usually you know that cat's not coming back.

I like both dogs and cats, but for different reasons, because they're so different in how they interact with humans.

You accept cats for who they are, and dogs accept you for who you are. :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
No, neither go outside. My cat is Lucy, she's 7 yrs old and she stays in my room 12 hours a day and 12 hours in the rest of the house. She sleeps with me when take naps and she loves on me when she's in the mood. Gretchen is the other cat and she is a year old and bounces around the house. Gretchen just showed up one night and came back in with the 2 dogs :rotfl: - We put up signs that we found her but nobody called so we kept her, she is my Mom's cat. We try to keep them separate because Gretchen the young cat pesters Lucy, the mature cat. They are so cute and pretty.

Sounds like your cats are happy cats. :)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
That makes some sense, since I know coyotes do kill smaller animals. I had them go after our puppies. One good wolf and coyotes remain distant, although wolves do not make good pets. Some of the bigger breeds of dogs will kill coyotes too.

We had cats who lived among us, not with us, as they were ranch animals who kept mice away from feed. Actually, bobcats killed cats more than coyotes, as these cats knew how to get away.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Then you are saying most people changed. Years ago cities were full of roaming cats. My life was always more rural so, i know it best from trips to cities and shows on TV, or at the movies. maybe less people then, owned cats.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I've had cats, dogs and horses at one time or another. Most of the families I know with any agriculture going on had, at least, barn cats to keep the rats out. Houses had them for the same reason, and for snakes. Dogs were good for hunting, as an alarm system and for larger, more dangerous animals that move through forested areas.

There's something to be said for all of them. I'm down to one dog and one cat. We had as many as four dogs and ten cats on the acreage at one point. They treated one another like a family and I once watched the oldest Maine Coon stop a "disagreement" between two of the dogs (who had been puppies when he was already mature) by wading in and slapping them into submission. :chuckle:

I miss Tiger (not named by me). He was about the smartest animal I've known, including horses. He hated France, for some reason. The sound of it or my Python recreations, maybe. I could put my foot on him when he was sprawled in the main hall on a favorite rug and he'd ignore me unless I claimed him for France. If I did that he'd hunt me, nip at me and chase me from the hall. True story. He learned to open louver doors and flip cabinet latches when he was curious about what we had in storage. He chirped/talked a lot when he was interested. Even tempered, and a joy to have around the house. The day he disappeared there was a tremendous clap of thunder. We joked that was his dramatic exit. He came to us as a young thing, walking down our lane and introducing himself before settling in. Fifteen years passed. A lucky break to get him.

truthjourney

About eight years ago a stray cat had kittens near my house. One of them was the smallest of the litter and sickly. I decided to bring her in and feed and care for her. I didn't think she would survive and I was up all night trying to force feed her. Then I took her to a vet and she recovered and was healthy. I became very attached to her and she was attached to me.
She's beautiful with fluffy orange hair and has been a wonderful companion to me. She follows me everywhere and doesn't like me being out of her sight. She greets me at the door every time I come in. She sleeps on the bed with me and cuddles next to me. She seems to know when I'm not feeling my best and gives extra affection. She's my therapy pet and a very good one. :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
My cats personality is likeable. He's all white, crossed eyes, his eyes are pure white too. He desires as much attention as my dog does and will force it. He grew up with my dog so I guess he learned some things from her. He opens doors and maneuvers stuff in the house. He's hidden my keys on more than one occasion though :/
:rotfl:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
My cats personality is likeable. He's all white, crossed eyes, his eyes are pure white too. He desires as much attention as my dog does and will force it. He grew up with my dog so I guess he learned some things from her. He opens doors and maneuvers stuff in the house. He's hidden my keys on more than one occasion though :/

My white cat died today.
He was sixteen.