WORM BREAD

OCTOBER23

The Grocry stores are now offering worms and crickets in your backed goods.

Megan Miller walked out of a San Francisco pet store carrying a bag filled with mealworms squirming in soil. When she arrived at her apartment, she took them straight to her kitchen.

Since mealworms take on the flavor of whatever they’ve been eating, soil included, Ms. Miller plucked them from the dirt and placed them in a bowl of oats and apples and let them munch for several days.

Then, following instructions she had found on the Internet, she blanched the worms in boiling water, roasted them and plopped them into her blender along with dried plums, cinnamon, coconut oil and banana. She shaped them into bars and chilled them in the refrigerator. Soon, she experimented with live crickets as well.

“I really had to buck up,” she says of the experience. “There are, like, thousands of insects crawling over one another.”

Ms. Miller had tasted crickets and mealworms during trips to Mexico and Southeast Asia, but this was her first foray into insect cooking. It was not to be her last.

Kevin Bachhuber is the founder of Big Cricket Farms, which can produce 50,000 pounds of crickets per month that are suitable for human consumption. Credit David Maxwell for The New York Times
The following summer, she founded a company, Chirp Farms, with a business partner; they parted ways after several months when he became more interested in raising crickets than baking them.

In December, Ms. Miller left her job as the head of research and development for the United States unit of Bonnier AB, the global media company, and began working full time in the fledgling field of insect gastronomy. Along with two partners, Leslie Ziegler and Eric Woods, she founded Bitty Foods, a company that mills crickets and blends them with cassava and coconut. The result is a flour that the company sells online, along with cookies baked with the flour.
------------------------------------------------------:luigi::devil:
Le 11:29 These also shall be unclean unto you among the creeping things that creep upon the earth; the weasel, and the mouse, and the tortoise after his kind,

musterion

Wasn't looking at a candy bar I told someone to pick up for me out in town while I was onboard ship. I was on duty, busy typing up reports at the time. The bar itself is excellent -- pressed sesame seeds w/honey. Really good bar. Anyway, I was 1/2 through it when I saw it was a-crawl with weevil maggots. I suspect they were these guys.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2009/12/25/indian-meal-moth-larvae/

Odd that I never tasted a thing and wouldn't have noticed had he not screamed in the other room because he noticed his pets when he opened his.

Top THAT, suckas. :devil: