St. Louis Cardinals - Cardinal Country

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Giancarlo Stanton hit a home run literally out of Dodger Stadium yesterday.

It was the fifth home run ever hit out of Dodger Stadium, which opened in 1962

Here are the others who have achieved the feat:

Willie Stargell (did it twice)
Mark McGuire
Mike Piazza

john w

Hall of Fame
Yogi Berra - 90 years old today, born on the Hill in St. Louis MO 63110 - i think he has the most WS rings ever. 10 as a Yankee player and 3 as a manager (Yankee ?) 13 rings - wow - and some of his quotes are hilarious, so - "if you come to a fork in the road . . . take it" - Yogi - :patrol:

"What time is it, Yogi?"

Yogi: "You mean now?"

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I used to be a Cardinal fan but not anymore. My team is the Blue Jays and in the NL it's The Nationals, who used to be the Expos. I have very fond memories of attending Expos games in the Big O years...decades ago.
My other favs are Seattle, San Diego and Kansas City. I'm kind partial to the Giants as well.

the Expos had decent teams at times. Big Cat (Galarraga), Tim Raines, El Presidente (Denny Martinez), baseball just never caught on in Montreal. i had my first fantasy baseball team in 1990, Big Apple Sports, Staten Island. i made the playoffs and went 14-0 to win the title in my first year in the league (Ernie Banks League) -

i had Dennis Martinez, Danny Darwin, Bob Welch, Ramon Martinez, (i had Pedro Martinez drafted before he turned pro). i had good relievers, and run producing players. (Palmiero, Gruber, Tony Phillips (utility), many Cardinals, and just solid players and pitchers that performed great statistically during the two weeks of our playoffs (still reg. season in real life).

i have a copy of my team and line-up, i forgot most of my team from then. it was fun setting the rotation and the positions and checking box scores everyday, pouring over stats and numbers. we faxed in the weekly line-up/rotation including back-up players at each position. i did lousy the 2nd year and grew out of it - there are alot of teams and cities i like, as you do. but you must have ONE team you like the most, right ?

Last edited:

The Berean

the Expos had decent teams at times. Big Cat (Galarraga), Tim Raines, El Presidente (Denny Martinez), baseball just never caught on in Montreal. i had my first fantasy baseball team in 1990, Big Apple Sports, Staten Island. i made the playoffs and went 14-0 to win the title in my first year in the league (Ernie Banks League) -

i dad Dennis Martinez, Danny Darwin, Bob Welch, Ramon Martinez, (i had Pedro Martinez drafted before he turned pro). i had good relievers, and run producing players. (Palmiero, Gruber, Tony Phillips (utility), many Cardinals, and just solid players and pitchers that performed great statistically during the two weeks of our playoffs (still reg. season in real life).

i have a copy of my team and line-up, i forgot most of my team from then. it was fun setting the rotation and the positions and checking box scores everyday, pouring over stats and numbers. we faxed in the weekly line-up/rotation including back-up players at each position. i did lousy the 2nd year and grew out of it - there are alot of teams and cities i like, as you do. but you must have ONE team you like the most, right ?
The Expos actually had good attendance in the late 70's-mid 1980's. From 1979-83 the Expos were in the top 4 in attendance every season. But they couldn't build on it. Even in 1994 when Expos had a powerhouse team they were only 11th in attendance. They did pack the house for a crucial series against the Braves right before the strike hit. But too many years of mismanagement really soured the Montreal baseball fans. Oh what could have been in they had build a new stadium that was planned in the late 1990's.

The Baseball Stadium Montreal Never Built

Montreal has a long and rich baseball history going back to the Montreal Royals. Jackie Robinson made his debut in organized baseball with the Montreal Royals in 1946.

8221934.jpg

fea45c6c00.jpg

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The Expos actually had good attendance in the late 70's-mid 1980's. From 1979-83 the Expos were in the top 4 in attendance every season. But they couldn't build on in. Even in 1994 when Expos had a powerhouse team they were only 11th in attendance. They did pack the house for a crucial series against the Braves right before the strike hit. Buttoo many years of mismanagement really soured the Montreal baseball fans. Oh what could have been in they had build a new stadium that was planned in the late 1990's.

The Baseball Stadium Montreal Never Built

Montreal has a long and rich baseball history going back to the Montreal Royals. Jackie Robinson made his debut in organized baseball with the Montreal Royals in 1946.

8221934.jpg

fea45c6c00.jpg

i did not know that. cool stuff. their attendance was good comparably, but you're right about the stadium deal. i remember rumors that MLB didn't want a team there, but that was likely tied to the stadium. i don't think they ever played in the WS - :patrol:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Even in 1994 when Expos had a powerhouse team they were only 11th in attendance. They did pack the house for a crucial series against the Braves right before the strike hit.

The 1994 strike is a real sore spot with Montreal.

Overall MLB standings when the strike hit:

1) Montreal Expos 74-40
2) NY Yankees 70-43
3) Atlanta Braves 68-46
4) Chicago WS 67-46
5) Cleveland Indians 66-47

The Expos were on pace to win 105 games in 1994

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The Cardinals won today's game against Cleveland, 2 to 1. Kevin Siegrist (2-0) 1.08 ERA got the win, Rosenthal the save (12) 1.06 ERA.

i was off all day and didn't watch ! i figured it was tonight. darn, well they show a replay on fox sports midwest - i don't mind a replay if i know we won ! -:patrol:

i was off all day and didn't watch ! i figured it was tonight. darn, well they show a replay on fox sports midwest - i don't mind a replay if i know we won ! -:patrol:
Where I'm at in Indiana, it's Reds and Cubs territory. FoxSports Midwest is blacked out. Wacha had 7 strikouts in 5 innings, Siegrist had 2 in 2 innings, and Rosenthal had 3 in 1.1 innings. We seem to be back on track. Holiday played (DH) but I don't think he got a hit. I won't tell you anymore in case you get to watch it. I think replays are on pretty late.