Am I The Only One ...

alwight

Some of us who can more easily absorb and retain facts and information are perhaps getting just a little bit peeved these days since they can no longer readily impress the rest of us by being a mine of information. Oh dear, how sad, never mind. ;)

I relish the internet's ability to quickly find information without me having to put in many hours of worthy and diligent research, after obtaining the relevant books.
I really am more intelligent than I thought I was, I just needed the internet to make me realise it. :D

1PeaceMaker

“Accurate personal knowledge is difficult to achieve, and the Internet may be making that task even harder."

Junk Science Translation: If online information contradicts your doctor, always assume the doctor is right. :eek:

1PeaceMaker

And just remember, the psychologists have no vested interest in drawing this conclusion. It only bolsters their degrees.....

....in their own minds.

1PeaceMaker

Thanks to the blessing of internet communication we've gained much experience and practical knowledge. My family has bought many books off the internet, as well. Many were actual textbooks.

The knowledge I gained from the internet has helped me avoid taking drugs to get rid of two kinds of toenail bed infection in separate incidents. One time my mom had a skin condition and she didn't know what it was. She described it to me and I found the condition online. I also found the supplement online that might help fix the underlying cause, so I mailed it to her (I was already taking it, as it has multiple uses) and after using only what I gave her until it was gone, her skin cleared up and stayed that way without needing to keep treating it. (It was a sign of her diabetes, so I'm sure that means we improved that situation, too.)

I also used to get terrible headaches a lot. They were coming on more and more. Rather than going the normal approved route - I also used the internet to figure out that I needed a blood test. The blood test proved what my symptoms had already told me, I had hypoaldosteronism. It was good to know and using the internet I started treating myself right, getting more salt and water, and basically fixing what caused my condition in the first place. Now I hardly ever get headaches anymore and when I do they are pretty minor.

It has helped us deal with more serious issues, also. Some of those issues were resolved so well it actually spared us major surgery and needless suffering and we still got what we wanted and needed safely!

The methods we learned for growing food gives us nutritious monster plants without a need for dangerous pesticides and herbicides. Kelp tea makes them huge and disease resistant, along with rock dust and a proper application of rich mulch.

We've learned to save ourselves time, money and costly medical mistakes.

Basically, you can use the internet to cheaply become an expert in yourself. It's not "all-knowledge," but it's the next best thing.

1PeaceMaker

Also, this one time I trusted a dentist over Google and it cost me the root of one of my molars prematurely to the tune of a costly root canal and crown. Never again. :nono:

If a dentist tells you cavities never heal... get a second opinion from Dr. Google.

Lon

I think we do, in fact, see it every day on TOL. Because of that, there is a LOT of armchair quarterbacking and gossips. But, for those who put the hours in, there is an opportunity to correct a lot of these 'know-it-alls' with sound doctrine, history, and logistic correction. Many will not be swayed. When the rubber meets the road, Facts are facts. Opinions 'might' reflect facts, but are suspect to actuals. I endeavor to state what is demonstrably true because it is important to me, and I am often in research mode in a lot of conversations on TOL simply because I don't know-it-all. What I know, I know and when I don't I try to listen or at least make known the lack.

fzappa13

Search engines like Google or Yahoo make people think they are smarter than they actually are because they have the world's knowledge at their fingertips, psychologists at Yale University have found.

(Okay, I've got the world's information at my fingertips but that doesn't necessarily make me smart ... Gotcha.)

Browsing the internet for information gives people a ‘widely inaccurate’ view of their own intelligence and could lead to over-confidence when making decisions, experts warn.

(One might well say the same thing about an education at Yale but, please, do go on. Oh, but, before we do, could someone tell me how one becomes “widely inaccurate” unless you're at a rifle range?)

In a series of experiments, participants who had searched for information on the internet believed they were far more knowledgeable about a subject that those who had learned by normal routes, such as reading a book or talking to a tutor. Internet users also believed their brains were sharper.
"The Internet is such a powerful environment, where you can enter any question, and you basically have access to the world's knowledge at your fingertips," said lead researcher Matthew Fisher, a fourth-year doctoral candidate in psychology at Yale University.

(Thus sayeth the fourth year doctoral candidate … Oh, wait, that's right, you've got to get published to get your doctorate, Gotcha.)

"It becomes easier to confuse your own knowledge with this external source. When people are truly on their own, they may be wildly inaccurate about how much they know and how dependent they are on the Internet."

(I'm more than just a little curious how this guy determines at what point a person is in lawful possession of knowledge and at what point it may be safely deemed reliable … I saw it on TV/heard it at Yale therefore it must be true?)

More than 1,000 students took part in a range of experiments aimed at gauging the psycholgocal impact of searching on the internet.

(I'm putting “pyscholgocal” next to “widely inaccurate” in my personal thesaurus.)

In one test, the internet group were given a website link which gave the answer to the question ‘how does a zip work’ while a control group were given a print-out of the same information.

(mmmm … okay, I'll bite … what's a zip?)

When they two groups were quizzed later on an unrelated question – ‘why are cloudy nights warmer?’ the group who had searched online believed they were more knowledgeable even though they were not allowed to look up the correct answer.

(I hate to be the one to break it to our 4th year doctoral aspirant but most folks suffer from this malady regardless of internet access.)

Psychology professor Frank Keil, of Yale University, said the study showed that the cognitive effects of "being in search mode" on the internet were so powerful that people still feel smarter even when their online searches did not help.

(I wonder, does this guy feel smarter because he didn't do an internet search?)

And the growing use of smartphones may exacerbate the problem because an internet search is always within reach.

(Well, then why do they call them smart phones?)

“With the internet, the lines become blurry between what you know and what you think you know,” added Mr Fisher.

(I almost think I know what he means … I think.)

The researchers also believe that an inflated sense of personal knowledge also could be dangerous in the political realm or other areas involving high-stakes decisions.

(Why didn't you tell us this BEFORE the election?)

"In cases where decisions have big consequences, it could be important for people to distinguish their own knowledge and not assume they know something when they actually don't," Mr Fisher added.
( … and it COULD be important to look both ways before crossing the street … thank God we have Yale doctors to keep us on top of these developments.)

"The Internet is an enormous benefit in countless ways, but there may be some trade-offs that aren't immediately obvious and this may be one of them.
“Accurate personal knowledge is difficult to achieve, and the Internet may be making that task even harder."

(Said the Yale professor via the internet)

fzappa13

DANIEL 12:4 MANY SHALL GO TO AND FRO AND KNOWLEDGE SHALL INCREASE

OMEGA, it's time for a new avatar ... that one is starting to creep me out. I mean, you know the guy had his real teeth yanked in favor of dentures to further his career, right?

OCTOBER23

FRAPPE' My Dear, I Don't give a Damn what you want me to do.

CLARKE GABLE was a very handsome and famous movie star

and my wife says that I look like him.
--------------------------------------------

ps. Why don't you have an Avatar ?

fzappa13

FRAPPE' My Dear, I Don't give a Damn what you want me to do.

CLARKE GABLE was a very handsome and famous movie star

and my wife says that I look like him.
--------------------------------------------

ps. Why don't you have an Avatar ?

You forget ... I've seen your picture and though I don't question the validity of your wife's estimation of your countenance as seen through the eyes of love, you .. well ... you don't look like Mr. Gable you mad machinist.

As it concerns avatars ... as you may recall my old one was a visual representation of a Mandelbrot set. As it concerns the present ... I guess I'm just too lazy to give the whole effort another go. Very complicated stuff picking out an appropriate avatar. Just ask TH.

Last edited: