Sickness and the right to end one's life

Truster

Suffering is purposed and has a reason. A thief that was hanging on a tree was proof of this. As was a prodigal son, as was Jonah, as was many people who were healed physically and received eternal life throughout the New Testament.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I was going to write a rather long post about my personal experience with this topic. Nang's posts have dissuaded me. I'd rather try to pee up a rope.

swanca99

I agree with Truster - when and how I die should not be my prerogative. I feel badly enough that I have probably hastened my demise by eating poorly and leading a sedentary life.

But looking back on those four days I spent passing a kidney stone a few years ago, well...all I can say is thank God for morphine and hydrocodone.

At least this young lady is making her own decision and not having it forced upon her.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, Rusha, this thread is not all about you

Then shut up and quit attacking *me*.

And then there is this:

Evoken said:
Going by your own theology, it is God who put her in this situation. The person in the story of the OP won't recover from her illness; all that awaits her is a slow and painful deterioration and suffering that culminates in death. If she is ending her life both to avoid suffering herself and to not subject her family to prolonged suffering and financial drain, would your God condemn her to eternal suffering? Or would he sympathise with the decision and welcome her unto his abode? Evo

Damian

The right of a person to end their own life in this manner, also known as physician assisted suicide, is a topic which like abortion and same sex marriage has people divided, those who support and those who oppose it. What's your position on this subject?

It's a grey area and I really don't have the medical background and experience to intelligibly comment on it. But I'll take a stab at it anyway. In the particular case you cited, I would suspect that her physicians in the state of California would have treated her with morphine to ease her suffering and the end result would essentially be the same as "physician assisted suicide." (As I understand it, the prolong use of morphine leads to congestive heart failure.)

Personally, I probably would not do it because I would not want to pass up a great opportunity to die consciously (as opposed to unconsciously). (But I will fully acknowledge that this is easier said than done.)

"At the moment of death our physical body clinically dies (including ego), but our subconscius mind (soul) survives. If it can maintain direct onctact with its perfect energy counterpart (superconscious mind or Higher Self) at this time, it will literally die consciously, the soul (subconscious mind) will be liberated, and spiritual growth will result." (source: p. 139, "Exploring the Fifth Dimension" by Dr. Bruce Goldberg)

"However, if this contact is not maintained (unconscious death) then our soul will have missed a great opportunity for enlightenment and the most uncomfortable characteristics (the disorienting forces) of the karmic cycle will prevail." (source: p. 139, "Exploring the Fifth Dimension" by Dr. Bruce Goldberg)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
1 Corinthians 6:19-20

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

csuguy

I think that it can be a good and merciful thing to end someone's life if it becomes clear that their time is short and all they have to look forward to is pain and suffering while they wait for their life to end. Of course, there is plenty of room for abuse - so we need to be wary of how people and businesses might abuse this.

Arthur Brain

Well, just compare her to the Lord Jesus Christ, who put Himself into a slow and painful death, in subjection and obedience to His Father. What was the result of that?

God has put this woman in her position, and she will either show love and faith in God for doing so, and inherit everlasting life, or she will usurp God's sovereignty, kill her self, and suffer everlasting hellfire.

Why do you conceive that hoping and praying for the latter is better than hoping and praying for the former?

Do any of us know more than God? Do any of us have the right to question God's dealings with men?

I thought that according to you it wasn't possible to usurp God's sovererignty? In which case whatever this young woman 'decides' to do will have been set out already right?

I think your callous standing of judgement on a woman who is going to die tragically young whatever happens is just despicable.