Ebola is in the USA. Does this frighten you?

whitestone

you know I have been reading along watching the issues/suggestions/opinions ect. and thinking if I am afraid/concerned ect. but I was watching meet the press a few minutes ago and one of the guest brought up the concern that the patient in Dallas going by the manner he filled out the paperwork coming to here from there and comparing it to the paperwork he filled out at the hospital that he went to in Dallas the he made the decision to come to the U.S. to get better treatment than he would get there.

I think it is sad that he is now moved to critical condition and I pray that he will be okay. That being said I am now leaning more toward thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to isolate travel from these nations where this is. It had never crossed my mind that it is possible that those who might think they had come in contact with Ebola and could afford to leave those nations would make a decision to travel to the u.s. or another nation where their chances of survival would be greater based on the medical treatment they would receive. So I don't know maybe it would be better to restrict air travel at this time.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Ever seen a movie that has someone from a future in which a virus or infection has wiped out a large part of humanity and civilization as we knew it is gone is recalling how it all started? Sometimes when I see news about the current Ebola virus I think that perhaps in a few decades someone will be doing the same thing about our current time. :noid:

bybee

Ever seen a movie that has someone from a future in which a virus or infection has wiped out a large part of humanity and civilization as we knew it is gone is recalling how it all started? Sometimes when I see news about the current Ebola virus I think that perhaps in a few decades someone will be doing the same thing about our current time. :noid:

I don't trust that these government agencies are honest in their reporting to the public. What are the credentials of the person's deciding that we are safe?
And if it should be that they are overly confident, misinformed or stupid we get to pay a terrible price.
I remember Thalidomide and diethelstilbesterol. Scientists stated that they were safe for the public and disasters ensued.

whitestone

yea I don't trust the government agencies either we had barbeque a couple of months ago and a friend of mine who is a geologist was there we were watching the movie Pompey and when it was over he ask me what I would do if Yellowstone began to erupt. My plans were to load up the R.V. and head where ever it seemed best,he laughed and told me they would let him say most anything about Yellowstone if he didn't get to deep into the word "Tuff".

He ask me if I knew what it was and I said "no",,he said it is the cloud of stuff that caught up to those two at the end of the movie and burnt them up. So then I said I was glad to live in Texas,he laughed and said "the last time it erupted the tuff went out at about 500 miles an hour and stopped about Louisiana,lake Charles area over to about Houston,and so thats why they don't want us talking about it".

elohiym

So the first Ebola patient has been confirmed in the USA at a Dallas area hospital.

Does this news frighten you?

No.

Consider the following:

Four outbreaks occurred in Gabon during 1994–2002, affecting >20 villages and towns, with 208 cases and 151 deaths (overall case-fatality rate, 72.6%) [9–13]. During 2001–2002, outbreaks consisted of multiple independent introductions of the virus into human populations [14].

Recently, with a specific ELISA method, we showed that ZEBOV IgG positivity in rural human populations of Gabon is associated with cellular and humoral immune responses. We suspected that this seropositivity could be attributable to asymptomatic infection, mild disease, or simple exposure to viral particles [29].​

From that study:

It is generally accepted that ZEBOV is associated with a case fatality rate of about 90%, but this may be an overestimate. First, seven cases of asymptomatic infection were identified during the 1996 Booué outbreak in Gabon [26]. Second, some ELISA-based serosurveys [27] have shown high antibody prevalence rates among populations living in areas where no cases of EHF have ever been reported, suggesting that ZEBOV might also be capable of causing mild illness or even asymptomatic infection in humans. The IgG seroprevalence was 9.3% in villages located in the 1995 outbreak area around Kikwit, DRC, where no EHF cases were reported [28]. Likewise, a seroprevalence of 13.2% was found in the Aka Pygmy population of Central African Republic, where no ZEBOV outbreaks have ever been reported [29]. These findings confirmed those of older studies based on less-specific immunofluorescence assays that showed an antibody prevalence of around 10% in several non epidemic parts of Africa [30]–[34]. In contrast, a more recent survey showed a low anti-ZEBOV IgG prevalence (1.4%) among 979 people living in the northern region of Gabon that experienced EHF outbreaks between 1994 and 1997 [35]. The authors deduced that mild or asymptomatic EHF infection was possible but rare.​

GFR7

It will become frightening if it begins to spread.
And I don't trust that Obama will oversee it properly. :nono:

gcthomas

It will become frightening if it begins to spread.
And I don't trust that Obama will oversee it properly. :nono:

I'd be worried if your CDC did rely on the president for oversight. Don't they do all the technical stuff without him?

journey

I am concerned, especially considering that our own healthcare facilities did not follow the protocols set by the CDC to contain Ebola. Our failures could result in an epidemic that would be hard to stop. I'm talking about the failures on the first case.