Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homeschooling lead to social deficiency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzappa13
    replied
    Originally posted by Derf View Post
    As someone who has homeschooled his children all the way through highschool, I also agree with this statement. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure I made the right choice, because "education" is not all that happens in a school environment, unfortunately. And "education" is not all that happens in a home environment, fortunately.
    Well put.

Leave a comment:

• Derf
    replied
    Originally posted by gcthomas View Post
    Originally posted by Greg Jennings View Post
    I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.
    Originally posted by Rusha View Post
    As someone who also attended private, Christian schools, I agree with this statement.
    As someone who teaches in a private Christian school, I also agree with this statement.
    As someone who has homeschooled his children all the way through highschool, I also agree with this statement. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure I made the right choice, because "education" is not all that happens in a school environment, unfortunately. And "education" is not all that happens in a home environment, fortunately.

Leave a comment:

• fzappa13
    replied
    Life is Jazz. It helps to be able to improvise. If you are called upon to teach that can be learned if needs be. I think skill at teaching not anywhere near so important as what is being imparted to the would be student.

Leave a comment:

• gcthomas
    replied
    I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.
    Originally posted by Rusha View Post
    As someone who also attended private, Christian schools, I agree with this statement.
    As someone who teaches in a private Christian school, I also agree with this statement.

Leave a comment:

• Rusha
    replied
    In most cases I tend to agree with badp, here. I myself went to a Christian private school in Texas until 7th grade. There was no pushing of religion onto students in the classroom. The only thing that we did related to Christianity was attend chapel in the attached church once a week for 25 minutes. That was hardly taxing.

The teachers were well-qualified and with one exception, kept any religious opinions about our subject matter to themselves (when one teacher stated that human footprints were found inside of dinosaur prints, and that we can't say for sure that humans and dinos didn't live together; just one mention of it, though, nothing to write home about).

Based on my experience, I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.

Leave a comment:

• Greg Jennings
    replied
    Originally posted by PureX View Post
    Why?
    In most cases I tend to agree with badp, here. I myself went to a Christian private school in Texas until 7th grade. There was no pushing of religion onto students in the classroom. The only thing that we did related to Christianity was attend chapel in the attached church once a week for 25 minutes. That was hardly taxing.

The teachers were well-qualified and with one exception, kept any religious opinions about our subject matter to themselves (when one teacher stated that human footprints were found inside of dinosaur prints, and that we can't say for sure that humans and dinos didn't live together; just one mention of it, though, nothing to write home about).

Based on my experience, I'd say that teachers employed at a Christian private school are more qualified to educate children than the vast majority of parents, regardless of belief.

Leave a comment:

• PureX
    replied
    Originally posted by badp View Post
    Christian private school is better than atheist homeschool.
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• badp
    replied
    Originally posted by PureX View Post
    Home schooling is not a panacea for the difficulties of public education. Nor is home-schooling some form of child abuse.

I'm sure it can work well for a lot of people, and for their children. Just as does public education. But home-schooling can also become a disaster if the parents are doing it for the wrong reasons, or are simply ill-equipped to take on such a complex and important responsibility.

Also, I think it's important to remember that home-schooling doesn't mean the children cannot participate in all the same group activities that are available to kids in public schools. Because they can, and they should be encouraged to do so.
    Christian private school is better than atheist homeschool.

Leave a comment:

• PureX
    replied
    Home schooling is not a panacea for the difficulties of public education. Nor is home-schooling some form of child abuse.

I'm sure it can work well for a lot of people, and for their children. Just as does public education. But home-schooling can also become a disaster if the parents are doing it for the wrong reasons, or are simply ill-equipped to take on such a complex and important responsibility.

Also, I think it's important to remember that home-schooling doesn't mean the children cannot participate in all the same group activities that are available to kids in public schools. Because they can, and they should be encouraged to do so.

Leave a comment:

• patrick jane
    replied
    Originally posted by erinmarie View Post
    I think Turbo already covered the point I was going to make, but I'll continue anyways. I have three children 5 and under, and I take care of them all day pretty much on my own. (My husband has two jobs and an internet comic book store). Once a week, on a Friday or Saturday night, my husband will mind the store while I go out for one or two hours with my best friend, after I put my children to sleep. It's my "scheduled" break from my kids. Every once in awhile my husband and I will go to the movies, or dinner, but if we have a child under one year old, they almost always come with us. The way I see it is you have plenty of time for "alone time" when your children are older, and able to stay with a babysitter, or family member for longer amounts of time. And if you're referring to sex, you have all these "unplanned" children, it looks like you're able to make plenty of time for it.

I think that sending your child away from you for hours and hours everyday is not only selfish, it's also harmful to your child and their healthy development.
    My parents had me when they were 18 and were still wanting to live young and free lives. They got lots of adult time and I turned out terrible, just ask around.

Leave a comment:

• badp
    replied
    If gov't school kids are "socialized" then you're better off being a hermit.

Leave a comment:

• aCultureWarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by The Berean View Post
    Most home schooled kids I know are involved is various "after-school" activities, like Boy/Girl Scouts, sports, piano, choir, volunteer work, etc.
    An hour or two a day partaking in a social activity is quite different than interacting with fellow students for 8 hours a day.

Leave a comment:

• ok doser
    replied
    worth noting that Crow was a mod at this time:
    Originally posted by Crow View Post
    I agree. I met Christine, her sister, and Nori's daughter when several of us got together for a meal last year. Not only did the three homeschooled young ladies have good social skills as their own little group, but they were impressive in their ability to interact well with adults.

By contrast, a friend's child and his public schooled buddies behave as I envision Neanderthals would. Scratch. Pick. Belch. Fart. The sound of lips smacking. Conversation: "Uh huh. Uh uh. No way. Maaaaaaannnn."

Now, you can write this off to being male, but I assure you that his fifteen year girlfriend is just as crass and gross as he is.

Leave a comment:

• Poly
    replied
    Originally posted by Tanhithion
    Whoops ^_^;; I'm very sorry. I forgot this was a forum for homeschooling teachers, and there was one for students. Please forgive ^_^;
    Well, since it was such a great post, we won't beat you up for it....this time.

Leave a comment:

• Tanhithion
    replied
    Whoops ^_^;; I'm very sorry. I forgot this was a forum for homeschooling teachers, and there was one for students. Please forgive ^_^;

Leave a comment:

Working...
X