Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's been a while since any homeschoolers have checked in on how things are going. So... how are things going?

Pretty well here. We started a co-op last year and it was great. We started back up again last month and so far it's doing well again this year. We've been a part of support groups over the years but after 19 years of homeschooling, it's nice to have a time to get together with other families and share teaching responsibilities. :)

1PeaceMaker

How often does the co-op get together? I've wanted something like that for a little while now. I hear it is wonderful for all concerned. I think it would be great to have a co-op building where families can get together for cooking lessons, or do outside gardening projects together, as well as have regular explorations of science, math, and more. Just a cool gathering place to eat, play and learn.

Jordan Fontenot

I've been in quite a few co-ops and homeschool groups. Never a complaint. I've been on so many commites and in so many clubs I can hardly remember all of them, but I've always had a blast with them. It's a good way to socialize and grow and show that homeschoolers are just as (if not more) able than public schoolers. You get a group of homeschoolers together, no telling what's going to happen. A guy I knew, who I did robotics with, is now known for being the first to find a plausable solution to end world hunger... He's younger than I am and I'm only 19. The idea came about when he was talking to his homeschool buddies about fungus... go figure.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's been a while since any homeschoolers have checked in on how things are going. So... how are things going?

Wonderful! Our PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATED children and many of their Christian friends who also didn't abandon the public school system are sharing God's word daily with secular children who don't hear God's word anywhere else.

Jordan Fontenot

Does he have a website? I'm curious now.

I really don't know to be honest I haven't heard from or seen him in quite some time. As a matter of fact I only found out about it because I saw him on a documentery called 7 days across america, on kids who were making a difference in the world. I flipped when I saw him, I couldn't believe it, but I haven't heard from him in quite some time. his name is Javier Fernandez-Han. If I recall he's about 17 now.

Jordan Fontenot

Wonderful! Our PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATED children and many of their Christian friends who also didn't abandon the public school system are sharing God's word daily with secular children who don't hear God's word anywhere else.

I would venture to say that was along the lines of uncalled for...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I would venture to say that was along the lines of uncalled for...

I wasn't belittling those that keep their children at home and teach them good Christian values that they obviously won't learn from a public education; I was giving accolades to those that spread the word of God to those who obviously won't hear it from homeschooled kids.

If this isn't the thread to discuss that in, my apologies.

Jordan Fontenot

I wasn't belittling those that keep their children at home and teach them good Christian values that they obviously won't learn from a public education; I was giving accolades to those that spread the word of God to those who obviously won't hear it from homeschooled kids.

Well no harm no foul...but in my defense, I'm a preacher...

1PeaceMaker

Right.... because Christian parents should throw their children to the wolves (in the cesspit of education, bad food, and prison style management) in the hopes that they will teach something to other kids. :think:

Hmmm.... may not be an ideal upbringing, but on the bright side, at least they will be ready for prison life. And that's a really great spot to preach the gospel, isn't it?

1PeaceMaker

Are you suggesting that public school children don't have homeschooler friends? Cause I've got news for you, my children play with as many public schoolers as homeschoolers. There is such a thing as school is out or summer vacation, you know.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Many of you know my situation, and if you are unfamiliar with it, please message me and I will fill you in.

Suffice it to say that I have ALWAYS wished to homeschool my children. Things being what they are, I cannot see a way to do so.

I would love some advice from folks who may be experiencing what I am who have still made it work, or folks who may have suggestions about how I can do so.

Thank you in advance for your remarks.

Breathe

My public school educated son just graduated from college - early, and magna cumlaude (had to make that one word because the site censor didn't like the first three letters, lol). I am posting this because my husband and I chose public schools over home schooling intentionally, due to the resources available through our public school system. He has turned out to be a bright, well raised young man, who is currently working about 60 hours a week - by choice - with his father in our family business.

In spite of his public education ;) he has turned out remarkably well.

I have noticed that, on this site, many of the home schooling parents are very defensive when anyone opposes or says anything the least bit negative about home schooling, and I would very much like to know why. No method of education works for everyone, and no method is perfect.

1PeaceMaker

Many of you know my situation, and if you are unfamiliar with it, please message me and I will fill you in.

I would say that for single parents, and there are many, there are options. Using public school as a babysitter is not a very good option. Many parents enlist grandparents or other resources. It's just like trying to manage during summer vacation. Many children are able to stay at home together and as long as at least one child is over 13 it shouldn't be too bad of an obstacle. Child-led home education is both the easiest and the most liberating for creative learning. Granted, I'm sure even the most free-spirited homeschooling parent insists on the three Rs, reading writing and arithmatic, and many times sets certain minimums, but a kid who loves self directed learning will often push themselves beyond those minimums and handles the experience quite well.

I've let my oldest children lately help me with teaching the youngest preschool-age children the beginning educational concepts and they do quite well at the task. I see why the old school houses favored putting all age groups in the same room for learning. The older really can help the younger and it's good life training all around.

Suffice it to say that I have ALWAYS wished to homeschool my children. Things being what they are, I cannot see a way to do so.

How do you manage the children during summer vacation?

I would love some advice from folks who may be experiencing what I am who have still made it work, or folks who may have suggestions about how I can do so.

Thank you in advance for your remarks.

My #1 advice, pretend school doesn't exist. How will you survive? How do you do it when school is out for the 104 days of summer vacation or during spring break?

Jordan Fontenot

I'll just point out that as long as I could read (which was the entire time I was homeschooled) I was being self taught by much of what I did. My Mom got me books, and I read them, took the tests, and got grades. I used the "Teaching Textbook" curriculum for a while which was the best thing in my opinion. As long as you have a computer (and you don't need internet access) you can use a series of CD's to go over the textbooks with you. When I took algebra I used it. It had an explination for every lesson, practice problem, and even each individual problem. There are so many resources like that out there if you look around. The other think I'll mention is that my Mom helps teach a lot of other homeschool kids whose parents are mostly self-employed and don't have a lot of time. Mind you it's only twice a week, but it's a bunch of different classes. That's why co-op and homeschool groups are so good. Pray hard about it, and search as hard as you pray and I imagine you'll find something that works

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

And thank God for those fine folks who hang out inside strip clubs and crackhouses so that they can preach the gospel in there.

Jordan Fontenot

My public school educated son just graduated from college - early, and magna cumlaude (had to make that one word because the site censor didn't like the first three letters, lol). I am posting this because my husband and I chose public schools over home schooling intentionally, due to the resources available through our public school system. He has turned out to be a bright, well raised young man, who is currently working about 60 hours a week - by choice - with his father in our family business.

In spite of his public education ;) he has turned out remarkably well.

I have noticed that, on this site, many of the home schooling parents are very defensive when anyone opposes or says anything the least bit negative about home schooling, and I would very much like to know why. No method of education works for everyone, and no method is perfect.

Public schooling works just fine for some, there's no doubting that. Like you said no method works for everyone or is perfect and you are right. There are so many perks though to being homeschooled and a lot of people are bothered by homeschooling because they don't think we think the way their kids are learning is good enough. The reason homeschooling is so great is that for somebody like me who isn't academically skilled, but still smart, can still have the ability to show that I'm smart. I have the ability to learn things I apply other than on a test. Some people learn things by learning it for a test, a lot of people don't. Public education is a system, a cookie cutter, a mold that blanketed on people. If people cannot fit in that cookie cutter or mold they have a very tough time getting a job and therefor functioning in society. My sister is one of those academic people, like your son. Her academics have improved dramatically since homeschooling. Why? Because she can constantly challenge herself instead of sitting through a boring class of something she already understands. Homeschooling allows people to learn at their own rate and in their own way. Some people learn at the rate of public education, and that's fine, but quite a few people don't.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How do you manage the children during summer vacation?

Thanks, 1PM.

As for Summer vacation, I haven't really had to experience one yet so I'm not certain. My wife passed away at the end of August this past year, so Summer was nearly at an end. My parents live in another state, and my sister lives in Maryland.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
Thanks, 1PM.

As for Summer vacation, I haven't really had to experience one yet so I'm not certain. My wife passed away at the end of August this past year, so Summer was nearly at an end. My parents live in another state, and my sister lives in Maryland.

Is private Christian schooling an option, vc? It could be a better alternative until you can figure out a way to homeschool.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is private Christian schooling an option, vc? It could be a better alternative until you can figure out a way to homeschool.

It hasn't been so far due to monetary restrictions, but I'm always open to the possibility.