Criticizing Lawyers, Teachers & Dating

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
how to characterize town's dishonest attempts to trivialize this case as an "anecdote"?
Pretty sickening.
how many people do you know who, when they make a mistake at their job, accidentally excute people?
If judges were tasked with getting this stuff right, it would almost never happen.

Under the current system, thousands of innocent people die because judges do not do their jobs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
People who do their jobs well do not make mistakes like executing people when they should not be or letting them go when they should be executed.
That's simply not true, though again the overwhelming number of cases are adjudicated correctly and even swiftly. You were and remain wrong on the point. Else, good, honest people doing their best with the information at hand can, do and will make mistakes that can have tragic consequences. That's why we have a system that allows for review.

It isn't about being dishonest or even negligent, though that happens too, in an even greater minority of the cases. And there are serious penalties involved for the willful sort.

That's not rational, so there's no point in wasting my time restating a simple and clear point of reason that anyone interested in an objective view on the subject can and likely has read prior.

The more checks there are, which is what we have a ton of now, the greater the incidence of injustice, which is epidemic now under your system.
Supra. Like suggesting checking your math leads to errors instead of catching them.

The more safety devices there are on a vehicle, the lazier its driver becomes.
Show me a single, serious study that sustains that. I'll wait while that never happens. The closest I could find was an English study that, while noting serious injury was down in the wake of safety improvements noted that fatalities remained at a constant, suggesting to the authors that over confidence might lead to greater risk taking, which is both speculative and still wouldn't support your "lazy" notion.

Nope.
It's perfectly rational.
Saying that we develop a system of justice because men hate justice is both counter intuitive, factually unsustainable and emotionally driven goofery.

The overwhelming majority of cases should not even be cases -- hence the conclusion that they add to injustice.
A bad concluson based on an assumption that hasn't been demonstrated by you.

If they do not go to trial, they should not be cases.
A verdict is rendered and a punishment leveled. It's a case in every since.

It's an example of where your system released a guy who should have been executed, who went on to become a murderer. Something that happens regularly.
Regularly is like beauty. Any idea of how many cases are decided and how few of them resemble that? If you did you'd give this up.

Pretty sickening.
I agree that mischaracterization is fairly sickening and anyone nodding at it is either stupid, ignorant, or willfully blind as no rational examination will lead to it.

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

The more safety devices there are on a vehicle, the lazier its driver becomes.

That right there just shows how unbelievably dumb you are on the topic. You think getting rid of airbags and other safety devices on vehicles would make drivers more alert by association? Hey, why not get rid of brakes as well? :freak:

Dingbat. You know absolutely squat about law and you should be embarrassed about how ignorant you've been shown to be. You don't even possess a layman's understanding and TH has simply pulled you apart - again.

TimLutz

About Lawyers
Took me two days to train one to use a shovel. Quite a feat. Quite aggravating.

Posted from the TOL App!

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Saying that we develop a system of justice because men hate justice is both counter intuitive, factually unsustainable and emotionally driven goofery.

Nope.

You support a system that does not execute people for abusing children.

It let's them return to society, where they frequently reoffend.

This is injustice of the sort that could only come about from people who hate justice.

From Google Nexus and the TOL app!

Arthur Brain

Nope.

This is injustice of the sort that could only come about from people who hate justice.

Oh grief, just please stop being such an ignorant goofball and post on a topic you might actually know something about...

Whatever that is...

:plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's not an argument. It's a half step above a grunt.

First, you're off the mark there. Your criticism should be aimed not at the justice system, but the legislative branch that made the laws that the system moves under. Sometimes bad laws make it into our system and it takes time and effort to excise them. We've had laws that barred interracial marriage, that made it permissible to own another human being, etc. Some are harder to remove than others.

Beyond that, I also support our Republic, though I deeply disagree with its willingness to allow the unborn to be killed in the womb. Fortunately our imperfect system has built into it the ability for correction.

Not a thing you've ever read me support.

No, it came about because legislators became convinced, in large part, that making rape and abuse capital crimes encouraged the perpetrator to kill his victim, eliminating a witness that would be a living death warrant.

I believe that rapists and child molesters should never draw a free breath again. I feel the same way about murderers. But none of that or this point negates my larger and prior rebuttal of your many subjective assertions and the absence of objective data to support or reach them.

About Lawyers
Took me two days to train one to use a shovel. Quite a feat. Quite aggravating.
You should have sent him to TOL first. I've rarely seen so much shoveling in all my days. You did pretty good with that one, comes to it.

Last edited:

TimLutz

That's not an argument. It's a half step above a grunt.

First, you're off the mark there. Your criticism should be aimed not at the justice system, but the legislative branch that made the laws that the system moves under. Sometimes bad laws make it into our system and it takes time and effort to excise them. We've had laws that barred interracial marriage, that made it permissible to own another human being, etc. Some are harder to remove than others.

Beyond that, I also support our Republic, though I deeply disagree with its willingness to allow the unborn to be killed in the womb. Fortunately our imperfect system has built into it the ability for correction.

Not a thing you've ever read me support.

No, it came about because legislators became convinced, in large part, that making rape and abuse capital crimes encouraged the perpetrator to kill his victim, eliminating a witness that would be a living death warrant.

I believe that rapists and child molesters should never draw a free breath again. I feel the same way about murderers. But none of that or this point negates my larger and prior rebuttal of your many subjective assertions and the absence of objective data to support or reach them.

You should have sent him to TOL first. I've rarely seen so much shoveling in all my days. You did pretty good with that one, comes to it.

Actually happened. Escanaba, MI

Posted from the TOL App!

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your criticism should be aimed not at the justice system, but the legislative branch that made the laws that the system moves under.
Nope.

I will aim my criticism where I reckon it is due. Criticism of your arguments is due because instead of being sympathetic toward a bible-based justice system, you are determined to protect one built by men that continually generates injustice.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope.

I will aim my criticism where I reckon it is due.
It's your reckoning that I've taken issue with. You're wrong for blaming bad law on the justice system that didn't create it. I note that and your response is to essentially declare your intent to remain in error because it suits you.

Okay. No arguing with that.

Criticism of your arguments is due because instead of being sympathetic toward a bible-based justice system,
I'm sympathetic toward justice and equity, both of which serve the good and in doing so accomplish God's purpose for law. I don't follow the particulars of the OT system? Right. I live under the law fulfilled. No question about it. But my response was on your general comment about justice and lawyers and a few subsequent comments, among them confusing an anecdote with a rule absent any discernible reason for doing so and a peculiar way of attempting to narrow what could be or should be considered as a case to make a stab at it.

:plain:

you are determined to protect one built by men that continually generates injustice.
Except that it doesn't, any more than any system run by imperfect beings might and less than any other we can look about and find numbers for. Again, the objective facts and figures back that up.

Last edited:

Daedalean's_Sun

i believe stripe qualified it with "like executing people"

Then explain to me why infallibility is possible only in that one regard, when it is not possible in any other circumstance. Sounds suspiciously like special pleading.

how many people do you know who, when they make a mistake at their job, accidentally execute people?

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Are you saying that because I don't personally know of anyone that is capable of accidentally executing the innocent then it doesn't happen? Is this seriously your argument?

Is is this your daft attempt to rescue a palpably asinine statement?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Objective facts and figures back that up.

Objective fact: Your system only infrequently executes murderers. Typically, it releases them back into society, where they commonly reoffend.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Objective fact: Your system only infrequently executes murderers.
That's true. And even more infrequently it executes the innocent, which has a good deal to do with a reticence to execute anyone. Or that's one argument against the death penalty among many. I think it's the strongest one.

Typically, it releases them back into society, where they commonly reoffend.
Citation/link? The last thing I saw was a Pew study that noted recitivism is a constant forty percent among parolees, varying in relation to the number of convictions.

Here's a link to a series of studies on the subject: http://www.pewstates.org/search?terms=criminal+recitivism

Jukia

That's true. And even more infrequently it executes the innocent, which has a good deal to do with a reticence to execute anyone. Or that's one argument against the death penalty among many. I think it's the strongest one.

Citation/link? The last thing I saw was a Pew study that noted recitivism is a constant forty percent among parolees, varying in relation to the number of convictions.

Here's a link to a series of studies on the subject: http://www.pewstates.org/search?terms=criminal+recitivism
You provided Stripey with something to double check his personal "belief"? Waste of time.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And even more infrequently it executes the innocent, which has a good deal to do with a reticence to execute anyone.

Letting the guilty go is as bad as executing the innocent. Think not? Ask the Goldmans. And, a swift and sure execution of murderers will bring a stop to false convictions.

Deuteronomy 17

11 According to the sentence of the law in which they instruct you, according to the judgment which they tell you, you shall do; you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left from the sentence which they pronounce upon you. 12 Now the man who acts presumptuously and will not heed the priest who stands to minister there before the Lord your God, or the judge, that man shall die. So you shall put away the evil from Israel. 13 And all the people shall hear and fear, and no longer act presumptuously.

This has nothing to do with the gospel, but about people and government. Then again, we know the lawyer will try to speak against the Lord, if it benefits his client.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
that is so Christian of you Nicky. Also insane

It is an extremely reasonable concern. Larry Singleton comes to mind ...

Those who are proven to murder are always a risk to others until they are six feet under.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Even more infrequently it executes the innocent, which has a good deal to do with a reticence to execute anyone.
Which is similar in attitude to the man who says he rarely fails because he rarely tries. Regardless, God says to execute murderers. It is called justice, which is what you have just conceded your system actively avoids.

The last thing I saw was a Pew study that noted recitivism is a constant forty percent among parolees, varying in relation to the number of convictions.
As I said, murderers are released and commonly go on to reoffend.

Letting the guilty go is as bad as executing the innocent.
:thumb: