Display.exe: Posted to document the date of my invention

elohiym

It seems to me that Bob's program has national security implications. I wonder if he's considered that.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is it a random pixel generator?
It isn't that. Bob assured me of that. Yet I think it's similar to a random pixel generator in that it is generating the content without having the data pre-stored anywhere, it does count off screen combinations, but it's not random, if it were random.... we wouldn't get any desirable results. (i.e., pages that make sense)

Keep in mind I don't have any inside info here, I'm just going off little tid-bits that Bob has told me.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Maybe it's not a trick or a trap as you assume it is. Maybe there is no "show" to get on the road.

By "show" I just meant whatever it ends up being, not necessarily a trick. At this point I believe there is a program. We just need to see it in action to separate fact from fiction.

elohiym

Yeah, but would it ever be able to display documents that have not been released under the FOIA?

Or more importantly can it output the source code for secret software used by the NSA and other government agencies? If it can, Bob has a BIG problem.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Or more importantly can it output the source code for secret software used by the NSA and other government agencies? If it can, Bob has a BIG problem.

But even if it did, would the user of display.exe know what it is? Based on what has been described, I'm not sure they would. The data might be meaningful, but I'm not sure if we KNOW it's meaningful or in what way.

The Graphite

I haven't seen the software, and Bob has not told me that it can or can't do that (just so you know I'm not stringing you along, here), but I have a sneaking suspicion that it can.

We'll see.

elohiym

But even if it did, would the user of display.exe know what it is? Based on what has been described, I'm not sure they would. The data might be meaningful, but I'm not sure if we KNOW it's meaningful or in what way.

If the user could not know what the output was the software would be useless.

And if it could output that, all that matters is that someone (a bad guy) could understand the output.

That would compromise national security.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Based on what has been discussed, I think it is.

And if it could output that, all that matters is that someone (a bad guy) could understand the output.

That would compromise national security.

I suppose.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's a great point.

As the software generated page, after page, after page, many of those pages would go unnoticed unless an actual intelligent being was reviewing and monitoring them. (that would obviously slow down the process and possibly make it far less valuable)

And furthermore....

Assuming there is a cure for cancer and assuming that the software would eventually display the cure, it wouldn't help us much unless there was someone there to recognize it as a valid solution, because obviously the software wouldn't know to tell us "hey you should take note of this page".

So it seems to me that the software could be a very real thing yet still only be beneficial in hypothetical ways.

Certainly fun to ponder.

MrRadish

It would also display a large number of cures for cancer that didn't work, and you'd have no way of knowing which was real and which one wasn't. Which amusingly is one of my main problems with religion/the lack of it.