ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Interesting that I tend to distrust questions like this. I trust God for so many reasons its difficult to say exactly. I trust Him He died for me and because of what He had done in my life and because He has taught me, through His word, how to think clearly and what it means to love both Him and other people around me. It is He who salvaged my marriage. He's the central context to all of my most important and closest relationships. God, in short, is my whole life. Does that answer your question? Resting in Him, Clete
Yes, and God bless you for being a man of good convictions. Thanks for suspending your distrust for the sake of the discussion.

I have a thread pertinent comment to perhaps justify my asking.

You trust God because of the things he has done and you think God is more pleased with how you are now than how you were before. Correct?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have found this appeal to tradition to be more and more common among Reformed believers. It is truly astounding how history repeats itself. The Reformed church has failed to understand why the Catholics rely so heavily on tradition and have thus doomed themselves to the same fate, appealing to history rather than Scripture and plain reason.
Smokescreen rationale. You deny that examining what the church theologians have written is worth examination or pause. Then you are careless.
That's because you aren't looking. Your definition of dissecting such arguments amount to responding point for point to the entire collective works of John Calvin and others like him, which you know will never happen. It clearly gives you some sort of glib satisfaction to point out that no one has met your impossible challenge but it doesn't impress me at all.
Hmm. Wasn't impossible for the church's theologians to define these doctrines, yet it is somehow impossible for open theists to respond to them. Perhaps it is impossible, because, well, it is impossible!
WHERE? Please give me a link or two too these posts. I must have missed them.
Try this technique. It works! Then r-e-a-d. You have already stated in many responses how you "miss" this or that post. You are careless and only interested in yammering on about how wonderful you are.
I've addressed this already. The first time your brought this up I could believe that you had misunderstood the nature of the argument, that belief is no longer possible. This sentence amounts to a lie AMR. Why do you ignore us all when we all tell you in virtual unison that we do not reject Calvinism based merely on the fact that it is Greek! That isn't the point of bring it up and you know it.
Your words here do not follow your words elsewhere, whereby you take particular glee in shouting "Greek" whenever you get the opportunity. Your statement amounts to a lie, Clete.
HERE is a whole list of publications concerning the open view's doctrine of God (Theology Proper). How many of them have you actually read? Any of them?
Wow! You mean there are a whole 10 books upon which you draw your knowledge? What an impressive body of literature of the so-called restoration of the truth! By the way, I have read all of them but two and I own them. How many of these have you read and own?
Now, would you care to try again on answering my question?
Answering your questions has proven that you ask only to bolster you own ego. You do not ask me anything to learn something.
How would one go about determining which position has done their "proper exegesis" based on a preconceived notion of what God is supposed to be like?
Proves my point above that you are careless. See here.

Now I will do something that I have never done before here--actually ask a question about your interpretation of scripture.

Please tell me your interpretation of the following:
Exo 4:14 "Then the anger of the LORD was kindled against Moses and he said,"

And since PK is apparently unwilling or unable, take a shot at this, too.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by stipe
Why do you trust God?
Interesting that I tend to distrust questions like this.
Why? Your very existence in this forum is predicated on asking the same sort of bait-and-switch questions. Glad to see I am not the only one who recognizes the immature snare tactics of many folks here.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yes, and God bless you for being a man of good convictions. Thanks for suspending your distrust for the sake of the discussion.

I have a thread pertinent comment to perhaps justify my asking.

You trust God because of the things he has done and you think God is more pleased with how you are now than how you were before. Correct?
Well I suppose so but this is not the simple question that it seems to be. God is please with me now because I am identified in His Son, not because of the things I do, or don't do and that approval cannot be diminished in any way for when I am faithless He (Christ Jesus) remains faithful and God cannot forsake Himself.

It's pretty clear that these are leading questions that you're asking. Perhaps you could just let me know where you're going with this and allow me to respond to the actual point you are trying to make by asking these questions.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
AMR, did you answer the question about God sitting across the table from you?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I underlined the foolishness of your statement above.

Try something that makes sense:
Anyone who believes God is completely unchangeable in His attributes, and has completely planned out every event over all of existence is assured that God's holy will and our eternal glory will be accomplished.

See Hebrews 6:17-18 on God's unchangeable will, promise, and oath. The KJV renders unchangeable (used by the NASB and ESV) as "immutable". The Greek ametathetos is unmistakenly confering immutability no matter how you try and recast the word. (Note: Thank you, Nang, for reminding me of this passage last night.)
Would you trust God if the OV were true?

themuzicman

"Anyone who believes God is completely unchangeable in His attributes is assured that God's holy will and our eternal glory will be accomplished. "

Why do you need the middle part? Do you not believe in Omnipotence?

Muz

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Smokescreen rationale. You deny that examining what the church theologians have written is worth examination or pause. Then you are careless.
I do not deny that what Luther and Calvin have written is worth examination. On the contrary! I encourage people to look at what these writers have said about why they believe what they believe and to notice how their own rational is much more philosophical than it is Biblical. This very point is precisely where bringing up the actual history of Calvinist doctrines becomes pertinent to the discussion. We as Open Theist can show that based on Calvinism's own publications, such as the Westminster Confession of Faith, for example, the doctrines are not Biblical but Greek! If they were both, then that would be one thing but they aren't! When defending doctrines such as impassibility, for example, any scripture that is quoted, if any, is supportive at best, not foundational. The foundation is Platonist philosophy.

Hmm. Wasn't impossible for the church's theologians to define these doctrines, yet it is somehow impossible for open theists to respond to them. Perhaps it is impossible, because, well, it is impossible!
AMR, are you aware of the Biblical principle that teaches that we will give an account of every idle word we speak (write)? If not, you should read your Bible more often. This comment of yours sounds clever but it amounts to a lie. You know full well that no one here is capable, do to time limitation or whatever reason, to sit down and type up posts which respond point for point to the collective works of Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Spurgion, and whatever other "great theologians" you have in mind. Even if someone did that, all you would do is tack on yet another "great theologian" that we must be scared to respond too or seriously consider. This is nothing but a rhetorical ploy on your part and you know it. Now drop it and stop racking up the lies.

Try this technique. It works! Then r-e-a-d. You have already stated in many responses how you "miss" this or that post. You are careless and only interested in yammering on about how wonderful you are.
There is no way in Hell that I am going to go searching around in order to read your posts AMR. I have a life away from TOL and I commonly miss posts, especially if I don't really expect for someone to respond, which is the case with you. If you don't link to them, I will simply assume that they do not exist. Even if you do link to them, they will prove to be nothing but mere restatements of your doctrine and will not even try to actually establish those doctrines in any meaningful way aside from the "millions of people can't be wrong" argument you seem so fond of.

Your words here do not follow your words elsewhere, whereby you take particular glee in shouting "Greek" whenever you get the opportunity. Your statement amounts to a lie, Clete.
No they don't. (AMR's response to such an accusation, if there was one at all, would have stopped at that period.)

You made the accusation before and I went into some considerable detail about how it wasn't so. I never denied talking about the issue of the Greek (i.e. non-biblical) origins of Calvinism on a regular basis. In fact, I discuss the issue quite a lot because it is directly relevant. Your having missed the point of such discussion and your subsequent refusal to be corrected, doesn't amount to a lie on my part.

See, AMR. That's how you respond directly to a point that someone has made against your position.

Wow! You mean there are a whole 10 books upon which you draw your knowledge?
I didn't say it was an exhaustive list but what if it was? How is the number of published books relevant to your accusation that no sound exegesis has been done by Open Theists?

Stop obfuscating AMR. It's transparent as can be. Your colleagues, if they actually exist, would be embarrassed for you.

What an impressive body of literature of the so-called restoration of the truth! By the way, I have read all of them but two and I own them. How many of these have you read and own?
You're lying AMR!

Either you have not read the books you claim to have read or you lied and know you lied when you said " No one, Boyd, Pinnock, or Sanders, included, has taken up the task to respond to their critics with anything that resembles a proper exegetical rejoinder to their critics." It is not possible for both statements to be true.

Which are you lying about AMR? Tell us again how many of the books you've read?

So far as I know I have read none of the books you linked too, and don't care too either, but then again, it isn't me making the accusation, you are. How is my not having extensively read Calvinist literature relevant to the point? I acknowledge without having to extensively read their writings that they have done substantive work. I just argue that their work proceeds from false premises and falsify that work on that basis.

Answering your questions has proven that you ask only to bolster you own ego. You do not ask me anything to learn something.
So far you have not demonstrated that you have anything to teach me that I would want to know. Respect is earned AMR, not given away. You've acted like a fool from the first day your arrived here so don't get all in a tiffy over get treated like one.

My asking the question certainly has precisely zero to do with my trying to learn anything from you, that much you can take to the bank! I asked the question because I knew you didn't know the correct answer. I didn't expect you would answer me in the first place, the fact that you did at all only helped me prove the point as does your now defensive and reactionary refusal to do so. Either answer the question or don't, either way, your position is undermined and perhaps one more person will turn from the Calvinist heresy.

Proves my point above that you are careless. See here.
By careless I presume you mean to suggest that I hadn't seen that post. I had seen it but it is nothing but a restatement of the answer you've already given. It's the "millions of people can't be wrong!" argument. It's not only the exact same argument Luther faced but it is just as fallacious now as it was then and it is not the correct answer to the question.

Please try again if you like.

Now I will do something that I have never done before here--actually ask a question about your interpretation of scripture.

Please tell me your interpretation of the following:
Exo 4:14 "Then the anger of the LORD was kindled against Moses and he said,"

And since PK is apparently unwilling or unable, take a shot at this, too.
No interpretation is necessary. It means what it says. God was angered when Moses refused to be God's spokesmen on the basis of his speech impediment. That's what it says, that's what it means. God clearly desired Moses' obedience but didn't yet have it and was therefore perturbed, as any good Father would be.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's pretty clear that these are leading questions that you're asking. Perhaps you could just let me know where you're going with this and allow me to respond to the actual point you are trying to make by asking these questions.
It is deja vu all over again!:D Oh, my, Clete, a taste of your own medicine is bitter, no? I may have to change my slogan and quote Clete's immortal words above.

Last edited:

dale

Trust God.... eternal damnation....

Trust God... eternal damnation....

Hmmm... tough choice :cool:

Muz

If that is indeed why people say they "trust" God, I gotta wonder if they really do trust Him or if they're just saying they do because that's what you gotta say to avoid that "eternal damnation."

One could be made to say almost anything with a gun pointed at your head, much less being threatened with eternal torment!

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No interpretation is necessary. It means what it says. God was angered when Moses refused to be God's spokesmen on the basis of his speech impediment. That's what it says, that's what it means. God clearly desired Moses' obedience but didn't yet have it and was therefore perturbed, as any good Father would be.
Then I would assume you do not see the verse as an example of an anthropopathism? Correct?

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Anyone who believes God is completely unchangeable in His attributes is assured that God's holy will and our eternal glory will be accomplished. "
Why do you need the middle part? Do you not believe in Omnipotence?
Of course I believe in omnipotence. It is just that I do not believe the way open theists have re-defined the orthodox understandings of omnipotence and omniscience.

open theism
omnipotence - God is not in exhaustively in control of everything in the universe, therefore God is open to the failure of at least some of His intentions

omniscience - God does not possess an exhaustive prescience of the future libertarian free choices of His volitional creatures, for it is not "logically possible to know" the future, therefore God is sometimes mistaken in His beliefs about what will happen

When open theists speak of sovereignty, they do not mean “supreme in power, rank, and authority” any more than they mean that God knows all when they speak of His omniscience. Nor do open theists mean that God is everywhere present when they speak of His omnipresence or that He is all-powerful when they speak of His omnipotence. Open theists do not mean that God existed before time sequence became a reality when they speak of His eternality. All of these are orthodox beliefs, so when dealing with the non-orthodox one must be very careful.

In effect, just as the Mormons do, open theists have retained traditional terminology, but open theists have attached their own definitions to these words because of the contradictory nature of their system of beliefs. Thus, when dealing with open theists, any orthodox believer must use the same tactics as when dealing with cultists, requiring the cultist to precisely define their terms in order to reveal that the cultist is hiding behind common terminology, but not holding to the accepted definitions of orthodox believers.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
By careless I presume you mean to suggest that I hadn't seen that post. I had seen it but it is nothing but a restatement of the answer you've already given. It's the "millions of people can't be wrong!" argument. It's not only the exact same argument Luther faced but it is just as fallacious now as it was then and it is not the correct answer to the question.
I gave my answer to your question. What is your answer to your question? The silence is deafening. How would you make the objective third-party determination your question asks to be made? I maintain that there is no way you can honestly and objectively answer your own question without appealing to existing bodies of literature.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
AMR, did you answer the question about God sitting across the table from you?
No. State your supporting rationale for asking such a question or formulate the question in a standard theological/doctrinal manner. No silly word games. Get on with it.

Better yet, see here.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Would you trust God if the OV were true?
Would I believe in wiffenpoofal if it were true? Nonsense questions get nonsense answers. The fact that open theism is not orthodox means it cannot be hypothesized into orthodoxy. You have landed on the horns of the law of non-contradiction.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
We as Open Theist can show that based on Calvinism's own publications, such as the Westminster Confession of Faith, for example, the doctrines are not Biblical but Greek!

Provide an example from the WCF that is not biblical, but Greek . . .please.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Either you have not read the books you claim to have read or you lied and know you lied when you said " No one, Boyd, Pinnock, or Sanders, included, has taken up the task to respond to their critics with anything that resembles a proper exegetical rejoinder to their critics." It is not possible for both statements to be true.
I have read them and that is why I am able to make the assertion. If you follow the link here you will also see that I walk PK through the rationale that these authors have used in their writings.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My asking the question certainly has precisely zero to do with my trying to learn anything from you, that much you can take to the bank! I asked the question because I knew you didn't know the correct answer.
Then you have made my case that your sole motivation is only to bolster your own ego. Well said, Clete! You are a cockalorum!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The fact that open theism is not orthodox means it cannot be hypothesized into orthodoxy. You have landed on the horns of the law of non-contradiction.
Do you believe that all of your theology is orthodox?

How do you define orthodox?

Also... have a great weekend! I will be out of town so I hope you and your family have a blessed weekend. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.