ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I said this before; saying it doesn't make it so.

"God is (i.e. God exists) outside of time" is a contradiction. Existence implies duration and duration is time.

Clete

I did not define existence at all and as you define it, there seems to be an envelope, which contains God, this I reject. God is outside time and as the creator of time, God has not a human definable ‘existence’

You do make cogent arguments, but you seem to want to insist on points that fall without some explanation. How is time independent of God? Is God limited by time? If so, time seems the supreme entity, yet God is fully the Supreme Being.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Er, no. I would not. You assume that because I follow the Reformed faith that I am, therefore, anti-Catholic. I am not. I differ on several points with the Catholic faith, but agree with more than those that I disagree. The Reformation was a fine-tuning of Catholic doctrines, not a wholesale re-write...unlike open theism. But this is a topic for another thread, some of which already exist.

Wow.... I mean.... wow. :doh:

AMR, it seems we are different wave lengths. I was merely making a simply statement about the majority not being an indicator of accuracy. Yet you completely missed the point. Maybe you are intentionally missing points as an obfuscation technique. Maybe you missed the point because you have a hard time following the debate. Or maybe you missed the point because I failed to make the point clearly. I will assume the latter.

Philetus

Will any Calvinist please define 'dominion'?

Will any Calvinist please define 'dominion'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philetus
Except that God says 'start measuring here ... now … (first)'. Just because something is immeasurable by our little tapes, doesn't mean it doesn't have dimension. Just because God has no beginning and no end doesn't mean God doesn't experience duration of time. I really don't care what God did or didn't do before creation. I don't even pretend to have a clue as to how far or how long His past is or His future is ... everlasting to everlasting does it for me. I'm just going on the evidence God has provided from the instant He said "Let there be ..." right up to the present, and living in hope of the future. THAT IS MEASURABLE!
Originally Posted by Lonster:
Incorrect, if it cannot be measured, it is measureless. It would be infinite. God is infinite (measureless). Sure, discount the Ephesians or Job passage. Toss them out and rip them out of my Bible as well, and then we can say unequivacally "You're right!" Scripture disagrees with you. God cannot be measured (no malice here, I'm trying to use a little bit of line of reasoning to follow to the problematic).

One thing this thread has made clear … Calvinism renders God as impotent as it renders mankind unable. In Calvinism there can be no actual ‘other’ because for their god to create ‘other’ god would have to give up some of ‘himself’ to allow the other to even exist. Must be hard for them to reconcile the concept of God ‘giving’ anything … I mean if God ‘gave’ wouldn’t that mean that God lacks something that he previously had? He can’t even create something ‘new’ that he didn’t previously have just to give it away so that after he gave it he could be back where he started … but then, who would he give it to? There is really no concept of the ‘other’ in Calvinism. Creation (if it even exists in the Calvinistic view) is all a melodrama in the mind of god.
Originally Posted by Lonster:
No, scripture revelation renders man as impotent and his logic as finite (there is a 'stopping' point). God doesn't 'give up' to create, it proceeds from Him. Ex Nihilo means 'out of nothing' (Genesis 1). Colossians 1 expounds our understanding that what is created draws from, is contained in, and is for Him.
He 'still' has it. All belongs to Him. The pot cannot tell the potter anything (Romans) for He owns it all.

I agree that it is futile to spend the present and waste the future trying to measure God’s past. But, what we do have to deal with is a beginning point, and a present middle point and a potential future that is unfolding. That is measurable! We use clocks and calendars, inches, meters and cubits based on the physical universe to do so. Apparently God does as well … how else can He relate to His creation?

Yes, God creates Ex Nihio. What exists now didn’t exist before. You can say that God ‘always new (or just knows) it would eventually exist’ and I would ask ‘that matters how?’ Now that the pot exists, God must recognize its physical existence or ‘ex-create’ it … eradicate it … so that it no longer exists. We are created like pots but with one remarkable difference … the gift of life, living souls, spirit, personhood, His image. I see nothing in Genesis 1 or Colossians 1 that tells us that God created ‘only pots’ that are not free to exercise their freedom in living in or apart from acknowledging their creator. “Pots” do not exercise dominion over anything. We do! So back to the Genesis account, how do you define dominion? As impotent? Is the dominion God granted to mankind impotent or just limited? Is it an illusion or real? Of course God owns it all. The question is does He give man any charge, power, authority, control, say-so over what He actually created and owns .. over His stuff. Does God ever actually GIVE anything?

Will (can) any Calvinist please define 'dominion' and fit it into the settled view for me?

Philetus

Philetus

Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. 28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." 29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

Gen 2:16 And the Lord God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die." 18 The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." 19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field. But for Adam no suitable helper was found.

Gen 3:22 And the Lord God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.​

Either God is lying here or Calvinists have some esplaining to do.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I agree that it is futile to spend the present and waste the future trying to measure God’s past. But, what we do have to deal with is a beginning point, and a present middle point and a potential future that is unfolding. That is measurable! We use clocks and calendars, inches, meters and cubits based on the physical universe to do so. Apparently God does as well … how else can He relate to His creation?

Yes, God creates Ex Nihio. What exists now didn’t exist before. You can say that God ‘always new (or just knows) it would eventually exist’ and I would ask ‘that matters how?’ Now that the pot exists, God must recognize its physical existence or ‘ex-create’ it … eradicate it … so that it no longer exists. We are created like pots but with one remarkable difference … the gift of life, living souls, spirit, personhood, His image. I see nothing in Genesis 1 or Colossians 1 that tells us that God created ‘only pots’ that are not free to exercise their freedom in living in or apart from acknowledging their creator. “Pots” do not exercise dominion over anything. We do! So back to the Genesis account, how do you define dominion? As impotent? Is the dominion God granted to mankind impotent or just limited? Is it an illusion or real? Of course God owns it all. The question is does He give man any charge, power, authority, control, say-so over what He actually created and owns .. over His stuff. Does God ever actually GIVE anything?

Will (can) any Calvinist please define 'dominion' and fit it into the settled view for me?

Philetus
:first:

Fresh, interesting and well said! :first: POTD

Evoken

All of the above seems to have been aimed at demonstrating either flaws in Zeno's paradoxes or perhaps to show how the problem of infinite regress is not directly related to Zeno's paradox. If so then you have seriously missed my point. Effectively everything you've said here is entirely irrelevant to our discussion. I don't care anything at all about Zeno's paradox

If you don't care about Zeno's paradox then why are you constantly bringing it up? I did not mention it in my original argument nor in my previous response. My argument is not concerned with Zeno's paradox, but as I said in my previous post I " focused on God's thoughts and the nature of his knowledge and not time or some other thing when making the argument". I gave the reasons why. That makes the argument I am making different from Zeno's paradox. The "solutions" given to the paradox do not necessarily solve the problem.

You don't conclude that because there is an infinite series of things that much be done in a finite period of time that you therefore haven't really arrived at your current location.

That we do not pass an infinite series of points in a finite amount of time is precisely what I addressed in my previous post. Given the nature of space-time (discontinuous and finite), we can only pass a finite series of points in a finite amount of time. I even gave reasons why I think that an actual infinite (such as an infinite series of things) cannot exist in reality, but only on abstract mathematics.

I don't know how history has arrived that the present moment and in spite of the fact that the infinite regress problem would seem to prove that would could not have done so, I choose to accept that in fact we have arrived at the present moment and conclude therefore that there is something about the nature of infinity that we do not sufficiently understand in order to solve the infinite regress puzzle.

We know from science that the universe and time began at the big bang roughly 13.7 billion years ago (if you are a creationist, you believe it began either 6,000 or 10,000 years ago). So, in either case, history is finite, and this is precisely the reason why we have arrived at the present moment. Only a finite amount of events and time has taken place.

We may not understand some things about infinity, but as I was arguing in my previous post, we can know that an actual infinite cannot exist in reality. Both science and mathematics seem to support this conclusion.

On the contrary, the problem is very much unsolved but that it does not prove that history had a beginning any more than it proves that God had a beginning which neither of us believes.

Well, history for sure had a beginning, we know this from science but we also know this from revelation. The issue is that the nature of the God of open theism subjects him to the same need for a cause or beginning as what makes the universe need a cause and a beginning. Either that or he, like an eternal universe, falls into an infinite regress, which seems to be impossible in reality.

In other words, infinite regress does not disprove open theism any more than it disproves the settled view! We are both saddled with the problem of infinite regress because we both affirm the notion that God had no beginning. It is a problem for theism in general, not open theism in particular.

Not at all, open theism suffers from the same problems as the eternal universe, a problem which finds it's solution on Classical Theism. You affirm that God had no beginning in the same way that atheist / pantheist affirm that the universe had no beginning, that is, by embracing an infinite regress. Besides, Open Theism believes in a God that is of a substantially different nature than the God of Classical Theism, so it is incorrect to place both on equal grounds. When atheists ask the question "Well, what then caused / moves God?" The open theist would be engaging in special pleading with his answer whereas the classical theist would not.

God existing outside of time does not solve the problem because all it does it replace on difficulty with a whole series of worse difficulties not the least of which is the fact that existence outside of time is itself a contradiction!

Yes, existence outside of time is a contradiction. Existence entails movement, the measure of which is time. But God neither moves nor is he measured by time, ergo, he does not exists(!). God is not an existent but is pure and simply Subsistent Being. Whereas existents have their being by participation, that is, they have it from something other than themselves, God is being itself.

Further, if you, as do most Settled View believers, especially Calvinists, say to me that the notion of God's existence outside of time is a ineffable mystery that we should just take on faith as a fact we must live with then why you do begrudge me of doing the exact same thing concerning infinite regress? If you can say "I don't know how that works." concerning God's existence outside of time, why am I not allowed to say the same thing concerning infinite regress?

There is a critical difference between not being able to fully understand something (God's eternal nature) and accepting something that is, as far as we know, a logical impossibility (passing an infinite series of things). The first can be accepted, the second cannot.

That we cannot fully comprehend how God sees everything in an eternal now (for example) does not means that such a thing is a logical impossibility. Rather, it is something born out of our own nature. For in order for us to fully understand how God sees an eternal now, we would have to posses the same nature as him, which is itself an impossibility (we are finite creatures and he is infinite, for example).

That doesn't means that we cannot try to understand how that may work by means of analogy. A personal favorite of mine is that of a movie. When we watch a movie on TV, we see it from beginning to end, going frame by frame as the tape plays, watching it at a rate of 30 or so frames per second. To God, it is as if you were watching each individual frame of the movie at the same time, being aware of what is happening on the whole movie in a single moment void of any succession. It is as if you took out the tape, cut every individual frame and pasted them on a large wall, you would see the whole movie with in single glance. Of course, God sees every single detail on every frame and does not has the limitations that we have when it comes to seeing the wall with all the frames.

Another thing to consider is that God by virtue of his nature does not "experiences" things in the same way that we do. For example, God does not has a brain, nor does he have senses, so he neither grasps things thru sense perception, nor does he have to go thru the processes our brains go thru in order to think. So, while it takes succession and time for us to grasp and understand things, this happens instantaneously to God.

Should that not be our goal as Christians? To search for the objective truth and cling to the closest thing we've found to it until something better is found?

Yes. I believe that truth, whenever and in whatever form it is found, own it's being to God. The real, the good, is something we should embrace once we come in contact with it. And in so doing, we embrace God, who is goodness and truth himself. However, the good, which proceeds from the author of reality, cannot be in opposition to reality, for God cannot contradict himself.

With this issue, what I see is a field where a number of pillars grouped together in pairs is found. Each pillar in each pair is one aspect of reality, a good, a truth. On one extreme I see the open theists taking down the left pillar of each pair, on the other extreme, I see the supralapsarian Calvinists taking down the right pillar of each pair. In so doing, I believe that both extreme views fall into error and that by denying one aspect of the real, of truth, both end up with a clouded and distorted view of reality.

It is my position that, between two extremes, there is bound to be a golden middle road that leads to the truth, to the real. While both extremes are focused on the root of the pillar, with the hope of bringing it down, I lift my eyes to the top of the pillars and see that they are both united at the top, and I also realize that if one pillar of the pair would fall, the other would fall too. While the brightness of the sun prevents me from accurately perceiving how both pillars are united, I can, even with my limited view, see that they are indeed united and dependent upon each other. I may not fully understand the shape that both pillars form when united, but I can be confident that they are united and dependent upon each other.

Knowing that and looking down again, I smile and while stretching my arms wide, I run thru the space between each pillar, letting my hands touch and caress both of the pillars in each pair, as I continue to move thru them on the road leading to truth, to God.

Evo

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Yes, we are not pots, and we are not the robots that some would make us out to be just because we do not have all the freedom some would claim we should have. We can never be free from our Maker, who claims His total sovereignty over His creation. What God gives us is His own choice to give, whether we want to understand it or not. Mankind's mistake began when mankind assumed a position equal to God, that Adam could say to God, "I disagree with what you have commanded of me, for I am autonomous and can choose to do contrary to what I know I should not do."

As you cite in another post, God gave man dominion over His creation and before the Fall Adam and creation co-existed in perfect harmony. But, and this is a point you miss, after the fall, man must now wrestle with his dominion of the earth, for now the earth resists our efforts just as we resist God's call to obedience and righteousness.

Your posts are effectively demanding that God explain Himself, when He does not owe you nor I any explanation for what He does. The Scriptures cannot be more clear on this point, especially when anyone reads the account of Job. Your posts make appeals to egalitarianism, that things should somehow be fair and reasonable when it comes to God's relationships with His creatures. In effect, you claim the Potter is not free to do as He sees fit with His creations.

Yet, throughout the scriptures we find God choosing over those that should, if things were "fair", be chosen, e.g., Abel over Cain, Isaac over Ishmael, Jacob over Esau, and Judah over Joseph. In virtually every example of God's sovereignty in the scriptures we see Him choosing the unmerited over whom we would assume the merited. Yet, why then do some now appeal to God that He should be fair in His dealings and "give" us something? The very breaths we draw are more than we deserve from our Maker, yet we continue to demand He give us more, for after all, we are made in His image.

Some have used the image of God within us, the ability to know some things about God, to reason away God's kingship, preferring to cast Him as a "fair" God, where the standards of fairness are defined, not by God, but by His creatures. Yet, as God has continually shown throughout the history of His recorded revelation, God's ways are not our ways, and He will do as He judges rightly, not making Himself subject to our own notions of how or why He should act in relationship to us. It is these same who, while claiming that "God is love", forget that He is also a consuming fire. Any system which omits or under-emphasizes either of these truths will be a mutilated system, no matter how plausible it way sound to men, for to formulate the doctrine by giving preeminence to, say, 1 John 4:8 is a classic example of using a locus classicus to interpret the rest of Scripture.

As a result, the open theist's God becomes a victim of His own love. He is forced to give mankind a level of freedom that can hurt Him (hence, "the God who risks") and God cannot perfectly know the future since to know it would be to decree it and to decree it would be to rob mankind of all freedom. This would spell the end of love and the end of God. Open Theists find in their "freedom" a warrant to question "everything" more from the post-modern ethos of relative truth than a desire for biblical accuracy. But where does it say that God owes anyone the stimulation and satisfaction of their minds? God tells me to love Him (that is, to obey Him) with my mind and at some level that has to mean subjecting my mind to His revealed Truth. No matter how much Boyd and others mutilate the text, Paul meant what he said when he wrote to the Romans concerning individual (not corporate) election, "who are you, O man, who answers back to God?"

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Evo,

Are you a Christian?
If you had taken the time to r-e-a-d any of the posts between Evoken and myself you would know the answer to this question. Here is my question for you, "Are you a cockalorum?" :chew:

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Explain to me how it is possible for a Christian to write the following sentence in defense of any doctrine...

"But God...does not exists(!)."

How is it possible to be so completely deceived by false doctrine as to be led down a path that leads to this sort of craziness?

This is the exact sort of thing that I've been trying to get you to understand should not be done on the basis of some puzzle of logic.

Zeno used his line of reasoning, which turned out to be in error, to conclude that motion was an illusion. You have now made the exact same error. The puzzle is different but the result is the same. Rather than taking the rational road and admitting that we don't know everything there is to know about infinity, you take the express lane to wackoville and claim to be a Christian who proclaims in defense of his doctrine on the basis of a shakey scientific THEORY, that God does not exist!

How am I supposed to debate that with you? On what basis do we have any common ground upon which to proceed? You are willing to sacrifice ANYTHING, including the very existence of God Himself, which is the very foundation of sound reason, to preserve your doctrine. Where else is there to go? Your doctrine is entirely unfalsifiable!

And even if there were some direction in which we could proceed, why would I want too? What possible argument could I make that would more effectively discredit the validity of your doctrine in the eyes of other Christians (which is my goal) than your own words? I can't think of anything!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Explain to me how it is possible for a Christian to write the following sentence in defense of any doctrine...

Just as an observer and reader of this thread . . Evoken had more to say in addition to what you cut and pasted.

But Evoken will answer for himself . . .meanwhile . . .

Your mangling of his words is equivalent to bearing false witness against a saint for whom Christ died.

Nang

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just as an observer and reader of this thread . . Evoken had more to say in addition to what you cut and pasted.

But Evoken will answer for himself . . .meanwhile . . .

Your mangling of his words is equivalent to bearing false witness against a saint for whom Christ died.

Nang

That is why Clete added the ... to make sure everyone knew that he edited out some stuff. (for effect) The original post is still there in plain sight. You have just born false wittiness against Clete! You now, need to apologize to Clete!

Philetus

Yes, we are not pots, and we are not the robots that some would make us out to be just because we do not have all the freedom some would claim we should have. We can never be free from our Maker, who claims His total sovereignty over His creation. What God gives us is His own choice to give, whether we want to understand it or not. Mankind's mistake began when mankind assumed a position equal to God, that Adam could say to God, "I disagree with what you have commanded of me, for I am autonomous and can choose to do contrary to what I know I should not do."

As you cite in another post, God gave man dominion over His creation and before the Fall Adam and creation co-existed in perfect harmony. But, and this is a point you miss, after the fall, man must now wrestle with his dominion of the earth, for now the earth resists our efforts just as we resist God's call to obedience and righteousness.

Your posts are effectively demanding that God explain Himself, when He does not owe you nor I any explanation for what He does. The Scriptures cannot be more clear on this point, especially when anyone reads the account of Job. Your posts make appeals to egalitarianism, that things should somehow be fair and reasonable when it comes to God's relationships with His creatures. In effect, you claim the Potter is not free to do as He sees fit with His creations.

Yet, throughout the scriptures we find God choosing over those that should, if things were "fair", be chosen, e.g., Abel over Cain, Isaac over Ishmael, Jacob over Esau, and Judah over Joseph. In virtually every example of God's sovereignty in the scriptures we see Him choosing the unmerited over whom we would assume the merited. Yet, why then do some now appeal to God that He should be fair in His dealings and "give" us something? The very breaths we draw are more than we deserve from our Maker, yet we continue to demand He give us more, for after all, we made in His image.

Some have used the image of God within us, the ability to know some things about God, to reason away God's kingship, preferring to cast Him as a "fair" God, where the standards of fairness are defined, not by God, but by His creatures. Yet, as God has continually shown throughout the history of His recorded revelation, God's ways are not our ways, and He will do as He judges rightly, not making Himself subject to our own notions of how or why He should act in relationship to us. It is these same who, while claiming that "God is love", forget that He is also a consuming fire. Any system which omits or under-emphasizes either of these truths will be a mutilated system, no matter how plausible it way sound to men, for to formulate the doctrine by giving preeminence to, say, 1 John 4:8 is a classic example of using a locus classicus to interpret the rest of Scripture.

As a result, the open theist's God becomes a victim of His own love. He is forced to give mankind a level of freedom that can hurt Him (hence, "the God who risks") and God cannot perfectly know the future since to know it would be to decree it and to decree it would be to rob mankind of all freedom. This would spell the end of love and the end of God. Open Theists find in their "freedom" a warrant to question "everything" more from the post-modern ethos of relative truth than a desire for biblical accuracy. But where does it say that God owes anyone the stimulation and satisfaction of their minds? God tells me to love Him (that is, to obey Him) with my mind and at some level that has to mean subjecting my mind to His revealed Truth. No matter how much Boyd and others mutilate the text, Paul meant what he said when he wrote to the Romans concerning individual (not corporate) election, "who are you, O man, who answers back to God?"

Well, you told me everything you misunderstand about Open Theism, told me nothing of your position and never defined dominion. I am in no way talking back to God, I’m talking back to Calvinists, you arrogant so-n-so! I'm demanding nothing from God. I'm quite satisfied with God and all God has provided. I'm demanding intellectual honesty from Calvinists! I don’t disagree with God. I disagree with Calvinists. Do you know the difference? Or have you gone so long unchallenged that you have become smug in your rug? After the way you tongue-in-cheek-ridicule others for the above kind of … what did you call it … oh yeah, (not worth repeating). I didn’t expect you to even answer me, but now that you have I must say, I really expected more from you.

I never mentioned “autonomous’, I never questioned or hinted at the issue of ‘fairness’. I never brought up the subject of God choosing one over another, or our propensity to lord it over others. I certainly believe God can and does do as God pleases. I just think that Calvinism denies Him this right and totally denies the gift of life God gives. I see God doing as God wills and that will includes giving dominion over His creation to others. You haven’t answered the question! Where the **** did you come up the phrase “the open theist's God becomes a victim of His own love”? If it weren't for the cross that would be a good laugh, but because of God's sacrifice on the cross, your statement is blasphemous. I also believe that not only Paul but also God and I’ll even throw Jesus in for good measure, ALL MEANT WHAT THEY SAID! Now what did they say and what did they mean?

Let’s start with God, ‘what did God say about giving DOMINION to mankind?’ and then tell me what the Calvinist thinks that means. Shouldn’t be that hard. Just explain dominion from a Calvinist’s point of view … not from your misrepresentation of the Open View … if you can. How does God granting dominion to mankind (even over a fallen creation that is subjected to futility in mercy) compromise His sovereignty; His omnipotence?

You're a hoot AMR.

Ecumenicist

AMR gave a great response, humanity lost the priveledge of dominion at the fall.

Hence the thistles... (and mosquitos and ticks)

If humanity acts within God's Will, as God intended, humanity's dominion does not conflict with God's omniscient sovereignty.

Evoken

How is it possible to be so completely deceived by false doctrine as to be led down a path that leads to this sort of craziness?

Did the rest of my statement (which you intentionally and apparently deceitfully omitted) flew over your head?

Or did it annoy you that I not only agreed with your claim that "existence outside of time is itself a contradiction" but also went on to show how God, who is Being differs from existence, thus solving one of your beloved "contradictions" of the settled view?

I am very succinct and careful with what I say Clete, I do not rush in to "win arguments" like you do. Keep that in mind when you read my posts.

This is the exact sort of thing that I've been trying to get you to understand should not be done on the basis of some puzzle of logic.

The only thing you have been doing is making up excuses for open theism, introducing the red herring of Zeno's paradox and lashing out against the settled view. Instead of addressing the points I made.

You have now made the exact same error. The puzzle is different but the result is the same. Rather than taking the rational road and admitting that we don't know everything there is to know about infinity, you take the express lane to wackoville and claim to be a Christian who proclaims in defense of his doctrine on the basis of a shakey scientific THEORY, that God does not exist!

Do you think this sort of things makes you look smart Clete? Is that the way you win arguments? By misrepresenting what people say? Where, in any of my post did I base my claim that God does not exist on a shaky scientific THEORY? Where did I base it on what we know or do not know about the infinite?

How am I supposed to debate that with you? On what basis do we have any common ground upon which to proceed?

You have consistently failed to directly address any of the things that I have said in my three responses to you. Instead of actually addressing the points I was making, you kept on rambling about Zeno's paradox (which you, not I brought up) and making up excuses along the lines of "well, the open view has a problem, but the settled view has more!", this in spite of me telling you that issues about the settled view belong to a different discussion. Not to mention, that the claim is completely unfounded.

You are willing to sacrifice ANYTHING, including the very existence of God Himself, which is the very foundation of sound reason, to preserve your doctrine. Where else is there to go? Your doctrine is entirely unfalsifiable!

This naive and absurd statement is the product of your misrepresentation of what I said. You set up a straw man and set up to beat it. Are you really that desperate?

And even if there were some direction in which we could proceed, why would I want too? What possible argument could I make that would more effectively discredit the validity of your doctrine in the eyes of other Christians (which is my goal) than your own words? I can't think of anything!

The only one you have discredited here is yourself and open theism. You consistently ignored my arguments, you misrepresented what I said and instead of actually addressing the points I made, you introduced a red herring and then set up a straw man in order to burn it down in order to claim some sort of victory.

You failed Clete, miserably. I am not wasting my time with you anymore. I am here for reasonable debate, not to deal with immaturity, specially coming from people who are older than myself. Go have your "fist fights" with someone else.

Evo

Evoken

That is why Clete added the ... to make sure everyone knew that he edited out some stuff. (for effect) The original post is still there in plain sight. You have just born false wittiness against Clete! You now, need to apologize to Clete!

It is still a blatant misrepresentation, since the parts he omitted directly contradict the conclusion he tried to make from the part he quoted.

Evo

Status
Not open for further replies.