can anyone please give me proof that Jesus Christ is real?

c.moore

Originally posted by Turbo

Why are you ignoring the evidence presented on this thread? Just because firechyld says there is no evidence doesn't make it so.

If there was evidence out side of the bible I could go and collect the million dollar question, and give the half to the church.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by c.moore

If there was evidence out side of the bible I could go and collect the million dollar question, and give the half to the church.

There is evidence! Tons of it! Whole mountains of it! That's what I and others here have been trying to tell you! Do you want it or not? Why ask for the info if your going to ignore it when it handed to you on a silver platter? I don't get it?

Resting in Him,
Clete

firechyld

Turbo

I take it you've never heard of the Ipuwer papyrus. Even the unbeliever who wrote the preface on the page linked cannot deny the similarities between this Egyptian account and the Exodus account:

I have actually heard of that papyrus... one of my lecturers is a renowned expert in papyri reading, so my religious studies course last semester was a little heavy on that area. :)

I left it out because of the debate still raging in the academic community regarding it, which wasn't entirely fair of me... it is technically evidence, regarless of controversy.

I'll revise my statement to "next to nothing, excluding the Ipuwer papyrus." ;)

c.moore...

So I guess my question is answer , the unbelievers, and mythology teacher has a greater range of evidence that Jesus never existed, and can be a fairy tale or just made up from other pagan religion and pre ancient

Well, technically absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...

That said, does it really matter? If you manage to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus existed, the question becomes whether or not he was actually the being Christians believe him to be.

*shrug* Short of being there, you can't prove everything about Jesus, if he in fact existed. And if there's even one thing that you cannot prove, that's the thing that you'll be asked to prove.

Stop stressing over it.

c.moore

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

There is evidence! Tons of it! Whole mountains of it! That's what I and others here have been trying to tell you! Do you want it or not? Why ask for the info if your going to ignore it when it handed to you on a silver platter? I don't get it?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Ok , I pass them onto the teacher all these evidence.

So tell me again where is the proof , maybe i can see it in the Egysian culture as well , and all the story of Moses , and evidence that so many people travel through the desert, and there is tons of historcal facts out side of the bible , or even abdout Adam and eve existance, and about the characters in the bible as Paul, and Peter , and Mary.

Maybe you have the eveidence of the bone or dust of Virgin Mary sence she was not resurrected.

c.moore

firechyld

It is like trying to find my roots.

I must accept the fact of slavery, and maybe I must understand the fact where slavery came from, and as doing this I found alot of slavery ,and wars, massave murderings and brutal killings and mostly with religions, and christians.

It even shown me the warrior attitiude and back gound of christianity and other religions, wowww, i wounder where was the love.

c.moore

The pagan fertility goddess Oestre was linked to the resurrection, and her feast day became known as Easter.

Does anyone know if this is where the people say the Jesus story began with the goddess, including the death and burial , resurrection ???

This teacher also said the stars have many storys and many of the story`s in the bible came from the stars worshipers or is astrological .

c.moore

The teacher said many christian try to use evidence of a Jewish man called Josephus.

the teacher responce and research on this was this:

Another famous historian of the period was Flavius Josephus, who lived from around 37AD to 97 AD. (Look in the INDEX of The Christ Conspiracy and find the pages about Josephus’ works. See what she says). In his "Antiquities" he wrote two passages of interest, the first referring to James as "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ." (20:9). The second reference is more explicit,

"At this time there was a wise man who was called Jesus. His conduct was good and (he) was known to be virtuous. And many people from among the Jews and the other nations became his disciples. Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die. But those who had become his disciples did not abandon his discipleship. They reported that he had appeared to them three days after his crucifixion, and that he was alive; accordingly he was perhaps the Messiah, concerning whom the prophets have recounted wonders."
“ Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.�
Our surviving sources for this passage are Greek manuscripts, the oldest of which dates from the 9th century. However there are citations in other writers of antiquity.
The first to cite this passage of Antiquities was Eusebius writing in about A.D. 324, who quotes the passage in essentially the same form. So it is clear that this passage existed in manuscripts of the Antiquities of the Jews at that time.
However, it is significant that Origen writing in about A.D. 240, fails to mention it, even though he does mention the less significant reference to Jesus as brother of James that occurs later in Antiquities of the Jews (book 20, ch. 9). This has given rise to the suggestion that the Testimonium Flavianum did not exist in the earliest copies, or did not exist in that form.
Those historians disposed to reject the passage suggest that passage 3.2 runs directly into passage 3.4, and that the thread of continuity is interrupted by this passage. The passage 3.3 also is supposed to fails a standard test for authenticity, in that it contains vocabulary not otherwise used by Josephus, according to the Complete Concordance to Flavius Josephus, edited by K. H. Rengstorf, 2002. Consequently these historians dismiss the Testimonium as an interpolation. It is also argued that 'He was [the] Christ.' can only be read as a profession of faith. If so, this could not be right, as Josephus was not a Christian.

the theologian Origen (about 185-254 AD) said that Josephus did not believe Jesus was the Messiah (Contra Celsum, 1:47). Edwin M. Yamauchi, Ph.D., says of this text, " Today there's a remarkable consensus among both Jewish and Christian scholars (religious sources. Unreliable) that the passage as a whole is authentic

Another writer, from around 52 AD, was Thallus. None of his works are extant, but some fragments are preserved by other writers. One was Julius Africanus, who wrote about 221(unreliable. Julius Africanus is writing about what about Thallus said 200 years later. How can anyone trust that as proof. Where are these origional writings of Thallus. Thallus works have been tampered with by Christians. Unreliable). He says:

"On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun." (Extant Writings, 18 in the Ante-Nicene Fathers) (Nowhere in the ancient world did anyone record an eclipse at this time except here and in the bible? Strange).

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by c.moore

Ok , I pass them onto the teacher all these evidence.

So tell me again where is the proof, maybe I can see it in the Egyptian culture as well, and all the story of Moses, and evidence that so many people travel through the desert, and there is tons of historical facts out side of the bible, or even about Adam and Eve existence, and about the characters in the bible as Paul, and Peter, and Mary.

Maybe you have the evidence of the bone or dust of Virgin Mary sense she was not resurrected.

Look, I don't get you. In McDowell's "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" he goes on for some 17 pages specifically about the historicity of Jesus Christ alone. The book itself is 687 pages of almost entirely historical evidence pertaining to one aspect of Christianity or another, most of which is secular in nature. And that's only the first resource I recommended to you.
I'm beginning to wonder whether this is idiot teacher of yours is beginning to get to you. If so, I recommend that you spend less energy on the emotional aspects of your relationship with God and do some hard core intellectual home work. There is simply no reason why any Christian should be afraid of history. Indeed, our faith is based in history!

1Cr 15: 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.

If Jesus didn't exist, then he should as heck didn't rise from the dead!

Now, I've given you the tools, it's up to you to do the work. I'm not here to spoon feed you the arguments. Besides, if you don't know them already, you need to learn them for yourself. Your faith is on shaky ground otherwise.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Mustard Seed

c.moore,

I was wondering if you could suggest a book to your 'teacher'. It's called "Abraham in Egypt" by Hugh Nibley. I am curious to see what his reaction would be to it. Oh and firechyld might be interested in it also as it talks about papyrus.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by ButcherABC

Before I read this document, I want an answer to the following. Do you judge this papyrus as similar to the Exodus by the same standard Christians use when they deny similarities between Christian beliefs and those of other religions of the time, and the same standard by which they deny similarities between the tale of Noah and the Epic of Gilgamesh? IOW, are you using a double standard in claiming this papyrus as evidence for the Exodus?

I'm not aware of anyone that denies the similarities between the Biblical flood account and the mythical Gilgamesh story. Sure, there are similarities -- the best way to tell a lie is to mix a little truth in with it. Hence the similarities.

Rolf Ernst

Continue with your ad hominem attacks, Clete. It is easier for you to do than respond to Scripture proofs.

I was not intending to address you personally. I did not call your name.
I know your penchant for acusing others rather than dealing with scripture. If I had known you would respond or that you were active on the thread, I would have used my time in a way that did not welcome your comments. Continue your rant. I will not be listening.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

I'm not aware of anyone that denies the similarities between the Biblical flood account and the mythical Gilgamesh story. Sure, there are similarities -- the best way to tell a lie is to mix a little truth in with it. Hence the similarities.

Are you saying the Babylonians were deliberately lying?

brother Willi

c moore

PLEASE ask your teacher to prove his beliefs.

you have all the info needed to prove to any thinking peron that Jesus really existed.
do not let your teacher think his words have meaning.
anyone with a mind can decide the truth for themselves

temple2006

cmoore...Are you asking if the historical Jesus existed? The historian Josephus mentions him and it is accepted that such a man existed.

firechyld

It is like trying to find my roots.

That I can respect. :) Good luck.

I heartily recommend that anyone with an interest in Christianity, be it intellectual or devotional, read Jospehus. It offers an interesting perspective on the four gospels, particularly as an example of war time writings.

As for c.moore's question about the similarities between the story of Jesus and other religions, there's an entire field of study devoted to comparitive theologies. The similarities between various religions cannot be denied, and more appear as one studies further.

*shrug*

I, of course, am not going to attempt to offer any explanation for this. But it's a very interesting topic.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Continue with your ad hominem attacks, Clete. It is easier for you to do than respond to Scripture proofs.

I was not intending to address you personally. I did not call your name.
I know your penchant for accusing others rather than dealing with scripture. If I had known you would respond or that you were active on the thread, I would have used my time in a way that did not welcome your comments. Continue your rant. I will not be listening.

What are you talking about? Do you even know what ad hominem means?
You directly addressed me in your last mindless post and quoted a Scripture that is ripped out of its context (as usual) and then proceeded to attack me for no reason whatsoever! After defending myself I give you yet another opportunity to act your age and respond to the original question and this is the nonsense I get in return. It would be funny if it weren't so ridiculous!

I ask you again, and we'll see if it goes a third time without even being acknowledged and being a valid question much less actually being answered.

Does any such person exist, too whom God does not wish to reveal Himself? And why isn't the Bible itself that revelation to anyone who can read or be read too?

Now can you answer the question or can't you?
Ignore me if you like; the point is that others will not.
You can be all angry at me or even hate my guts if you want, I don't frankly care. As long as you spew out heretical nonsense, you can expect me to call you on it. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that if you had had an ounce of self control you would have realized that I wasn't picking a fight with you and hadn't accused you of anything to begin with.

And one last thing.
You are making a habit of lying...
I know your penchant for accusing others rather than dealing with scripture.
This is an outright lie and you know it.
As long as people are respectful, so am I but if someone wants to throw it down, I don't back off. You came at me with attitude and gave you back more attitude than you could handle because I mix my attitude with the truth. Now you need to repent and stop this habitual lying and grow up. One good step in that direction would be for you to respectfully respond to my questions as asked. Although, I regretfully expect that you will not do so.

Resting in Him,
:Clete:

firechyld

Whoever made the story up was. Either that, or they were filling in the details with their imagination.

And what of the accepted scholarly position that the Mesopotamian myth predates the Hebrew one?

brother Willi

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

Whoever made the story up was. Either that, or they were filling in the details with their imagination.
ever play that game in school when a story gets past around a room, and it changes?
these are either 2 diffwerent floods, or the same flood as told by a different culture.

im guessing thats what your sayin