can anyone please give me proof that Jesus Christ is real?

Aimiel

I don't think that there is one piece of conclusive emperical evidence which proves the existence of God. I believe He would have left at least one, if He wanted men to come to Him on that 'bunny-trail.' He chose faith. Those who take Him at His Word get all of Him. Those who don't, just don't get Him at all.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Moore,

There is no archeological evidence that I'm aware of "proving" Christ's existence. The jury's still out when it comes to the Jesus Box and Turin Shroud. Josephus's references to Jesus are suspected by some to be Christian additions. When the experts disagree, and they always disagree, you're right back where you started.

Proof is, of course, not necessary to be a Christian.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
granite1010, I know you have your disagreements with Enyart, but I highly recommend you watch his Mt. Moriah video. If you don't like it, you can get a refund.

Mustard Seed

Help, whether or not you will have it.

Help, whether or not you will have it.

The following was taken from a book that was written at the same time as the Bible on an entirely different continent. "Por la boca de doc o tres testigos se establecera todo asunto". You see c.moore the reason the mythology teacher can pull such stuff out of history is because even Adam and Eve were taught about Christ and his comming. The entire history of man has been filled to the brim with sects that at some point in their history have broken from the true religion or have borrowed much of their philosophies from it. Adam followed God and hence had to follow Christ. I know the majority of you have regected the following before and I in all honesty don't expect you to receive it with any more warmth. But following your request, c.moore, I am providing the following excerpt--

Which is to show unto the remnant of the House of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that JESUS is the CHRIST, the ETERNAL GOD, manifesting himself unto all nations—And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment–seat of Christ.

TRANSLATED BY JOSEPH SMITH, JUN.

(Book of Mormon | Preface Title Page:2)

Just as I've pointed out in my conversations with ThePhy the acceptance of a certain 'reason' and 'logic' promoted by ThePhy and others as ruling against Mormonism brings all religions under condemnation. One of the previous posters was correct in the aprisal that the standards the mythology teacher set are to broad. I would hope some honest person would admit this not only on what has been said by the mythology teacher but by the likes of ThePhy.

Mustard Seed

Originally posted by Aimiel

What do you mean?

I mean not to steal anyones thunder but I think this may portray, more or less, what Knight appears to be trying to say to Aimiel with regard to the role of reason and argument in conjunction with faith.

Taken from

http://www.fairlds.org/pubs/WhyApologetics.pdf

The English author,Austin Farrer put it this way:

"Though argument does not create conviction, lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish. an answer to every man that asketh you a reason for
the hope that is in you.�

In other words, while reason and logic are not to trump faith to exercise, as it's called, 'blind faith' (I would dispute such as being able to be called faith) is not wise a wise course nor one, that I believe, can ever lead to salvation.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Aimiel

What do you mean?
Generally speaking... blind faith is for idiots!

God doesn't expect us to have blind faith.

He expects us to have faith based the evidence He has given us.

Aimiel.....
Does God's word (the Bible) play a vital role in our faith?

Sozo

:sozo: Announcing:

Battle Royale IX

Clete

vs

Aimiel

in

WHACK-AI-MIEL

:Clete:

:aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel: :aimiel:

Last edited:

c.moore

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

c. moore,

Please ignore Aimiel! Post four may be the most idiotic thing I've seen anyone write on this subject.

You have however gotten a hold a real super duper idiot with this mythology teacher! His conditions are unreasonable and probably intentionally so.

Any extrabiblical evidence that exists will certainly have been seized upon and promoted by the Christian community for obvious reasons and conversely any such evidence would tend to be supressed or ignored by the nonchristian community so to demand that any evidence be presented by non christian sources is rediculous!

However, the evidence that you present does not have to look like it came from a overtly Christian source. What I would do if I were you is to get Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell. The information in it is presented in a way that is very easy to quote and use in debates where citing sources might be necessary. It is not necessary to tell this ding dong teaher that you got this information from a Christian book. All the evidence presented can stand totally on its own and is independantly verifiable without ever having to reference Mr. McDowell's volume.

Another outstanding resource is Bob Enyart's Mount Moriah Video. It would give you tons of ammo but your silly teacher wouldn't give it the time of day because it's obviously produced by a Christian.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

God Bless!

Resting in Him,
Clete

I did get the book the case of Christ, I am still reading it.

c.moore

Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

C. Moore--Our job is to testify of His existence, to bear witness of Him.
There are secular writings from that period which refer to Him, Josephus being one of them.

The encyclopedia Britannica says much about Him. Check it out. They will also list sources, or a bibliography.

That being said, however, we MUST remember that those kinds of testimonies will be in vain. No one can truly know He lived--and still does live--until He is pleased to manifest Himself to that person, and He does so through the gospel; through the Scripture, and the preaching of it.

A person may research other sources concerning Him until they begin to believe that He did indeed walk upon the earth, but that level of belief is not the kind of acknowledgement that makes Him REAL to people. That comes only by the power of the Holy Spirit. So my answer to a person who wanted evidence would be, "My job as His ambassador is to declare Him to you. If He is pleased to make Himself known to you, He will do so through His Word and our witness concerning Him. If not, anything else will be in vain.

this is what he wrote about Josephus.

Another famous historian of the period was Flavius Josephus, who lived from around 37AD to 97 AD. (Look in the INDEX of The Christ Conspiracy and find the pages about Josephus’ works. See what she says). In his "Antiquities" he wrote two passages of interest, the first referring to James as "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ." (20:9). The second reference is more explicit,

"At this time there was a wise man who was called Jesus. His conduct was good and (he) was known to be virtuous. And many people from among the Jews and the other nations became his disciples. Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die. But those who had become his disciples did not abandon his discipleship. They reported that he had appeared to them three days after his crucifixion, and that he was alive; accordingly he was perhaps the Messiah, concerning whom the prophets have recounted wonders."
“ Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.�
Our surviving sources for this passage are Greek manuscripts, the oldest of which dates from the 9th century. However there are citations in other writers of antiquity.
The first to cite this passage of Antiquities was Eusebius writing in about A.D. 324, who quotes the passage in essentially the same form. So it is clear that this passage existed in manuscripts of the Antiquities of the Jews at that time.
However, it is significant that Origen writing in about A.D. 240, fails to mention it, even though he does mention the less significant reference to Jesus as brother of James that occurs later in Antiquities of the Jews (book 20, ch. 9). This has given rise to the suggestion that the Testimonium Flavianum did not exist in the earliest copies, or did not exist in that form.
Those historians disposed to reject the passage suggest that passage 3.2 runs directly into passage 3.4, and that the thread of continuity is interrupted by this passage. The passage 3.3 also is supposed to fails a standard test for authenticity, in that it contains vocabulary not otherwise used by Josephus, according to the Complete Concordance to Flavius Josephus, edited by K. H. Rengstorf, 2002. Consequently these historians dismiss the Testimonium as an interpolation. It is also argued that 'He was [the] Christ.' can only be read as a profession of faith. If so, this could not be right, as Josephus was not a Christian.

the theologian Origen (about 185-254 AD) said that Josephus did not believe Jesus was the Messiah (Contra Celsum, 1:47). Edwin M. Yamauchi, Ph.D., says of this text, " Today there's a remarkable consensus among both Jewish and Christian scholars (religious sources. Unreliable) that the passage as a whole is authentic

Another writer, from around 52 AD, was Thallus. None of his works are extant, but some fragments are preserved by other writers. One was Julius Africanus, who wrote about 221(unreliable. Julius Africanus is writing about what about Thallus said 200 years later. How can anyone trust that as proof. Where are these origional writings of Thallus. Thallus works have been tampered with by Christians. Unreliable). He says:

"On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun." (Extant Writings, 18 in the Ante-Nicene Fathers) (Nowhere in the ancient world did anyone record an eclipse at this time except here and in the bible? Strange).

Africanus identifies this darkness (or eclipse) with the darkness surrounding Christ's death.

Pliny the Younger, a Roman author and administrator, wrote to the Emperor Trajan around 112 AD and said of Christians:

"They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verse a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to do any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food-but food of an ordinary and innocent kind." (Letters, 10:96).
(This is propaganda rubbish that was written 112 years after by a so-called Christian writer).
This passage confirms that early Christians worshipped Christ as God, rather than having the "Godhood" of Christ added as legend at a later date.

The Talmud also records several references of Jesus. The ones of importance were compiled between 70 and 200 AD, during the so-called Tannatic Period. The most significant text is Sanhedrian 43a:

"One the eve of Passover Yeshu (Jesus) was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried, 'He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy. Any one who can say anything in his favor, let him come forward and plead on his behalf." But since nothing was brought forward in his favor he was hanged on the eve of the Passover!" (Babylonian Talmud) (This is not Jesus that they’re talking about, besides was Jesus nailed to a cross or hanged? If he lived and was hanged then the Bible has it wrong, because the Bible claims that he was nailed to the cross. “For the message of the CROSS is follishness to those who are perishing…�
It was a practice of the Jews as it was in that part of the world to have a man representing the man-god or a sheep sacrificed for the sins of the people at the end of the year or in times of great danger. They believed that their sins would perish with the dead animal or man. The name was usually Jeoud or Yeshu etc..
“Among the Semites of Western Asia the king, in a time of national danger, sometimes gave his own son to die as a sacrifice for the people. Thus Philo of Byblus, in his work on the Jews, says: ‘It was an ancient custom in a crisis of great danger that the ruler of a city or nation should give his beloved son to die for the whole people, as a ransom offered to the avenging demons; and the children thus offered were slain with mystic rites. So Cronus, whom the Phonenicians called Israel, being king of the land and having an only-begotten son called Jeoud (for in the Phoenician tongue Jeoud signifies “only begotten�), dressed him in royal robes and sacrificed him upon an alter in a time of war, when the country was in great danger from the enemy.’ When the king of Moab was besieged by the Israelites and hard beset, he took his eldest son, who should have reigned in his stead, and offered him for a burnt offering on the wall.�(James Frazer, The Golden Bough).

This passage confirms the crucifixion, the time it occurred, and the fact that Jesus was accused of sorcery in regards to His miracles.

Mara Bar-Serapion, a Syrian, wrote to his son Serapion sometime between the late first and early third century and said:

"What advantage did the Athenians gain from putting Socrates to death? Famine and plague came upon them as a judgment for their crime. What advantage did the men of Samon gain from burning Pythagorans? In a moment their land was covered with sand. What advantage did the Jews gain from executing their wise King? It was just after that their kingdom was abolished. God justly avenged these three wise men: the Athenians died of hunger; the Samians were overwhelmed by the sea; the Jews, ruined and driven from their land, live in complete dispersion. But Socrates did not die for good; he lived on in the statue of Hera. Nor did the wise king die for good; he lived on in the teaching which he had given." (British Museum, Syriac ms, add. 14, 658; cited in Habermas, 200).(nonsense)

Besides these manuscripts, there are many other hinted at by other manuscripts. The Acts of Pontius Pilate are refereed to by Justin Martyr in 150(150 is 150 years too late), and by Tertullian in 200. Justin Martyr wrote:

"And the _expression, 'They pierced my hands and my feet,' was used in reference to the nails of the cross which were fixed in his hands and feet. And after he was crucified, they cast lots upon his vesture, and they that crucified him parted it among them. And that these things did happen you can ascertain from the 'Acts' of Pontius Pilate." (First Apology, 35).

Obviously, Martyr would not have referred to a book that didn't exist, or to a passage that didn't exist in a book, since he was writing a defense of Christ.

Phlegon's Chronicles are also referred to. He is cited by Origen (4:455) as saying, "Jesus, while alive, was of no assistance to himself, but that he arose after death and exhibited the marks of his punishment, and showed how his hands had been pierced by nails." He also mentioned "the eclipse in the time of Tiberius Caesar, in whose reign Jesus appears to have been crucified, and the great earthquake which took place" (Origen, Contra Celsus, 14). Julius Africanus confirms the same passages.(These people lived too late to have any first hand knowledge of a Jesus, therefore not credible).

The resulting, non-biblical passages show us the following points, as summarized by Norman Geisler:

"(1) Jesus was from Nazareth; (2) he lived a wise and virtuous life; (3) he was crucified in Palestine under Pontius Pilate during the reign of Tiberius Caesar at Passover time, being considered the Jewish king; (4) he was believed by his disciples to have been raised from the dead three days later; (5) his enemies acknowledged that he performed unusual feats they called 'sorcery'; (6) his small band of disciples multiplied rapidly, spreading even as far as Rome; (7) his disciples denied polytheism, lived moral lives, and worshipped Christ as Divine. This picture confirms the view of Christ presented in the New Testament Gospels." (Geisler, Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics). (These a are all typical Cristian arguments. Unreal).

c.moore

Re: proof tasking......

Re: proof tasking......

Originally posted by freelight

Hi c.moore and all,

Whether Jesus actually lived on earth as a historical figure is certainly open for debate. I have read a few sources outside of christendom.....supposedley from the Talmud and Josephus,...but the latter I have heard is likely an interpolation added by a zealous christian. This remains to be a wonderful area of research.

Your teacher is correct in that christians primarily have their NT and their 'faith' in it and the Christ it represents (as their whole compendium of 'proof').
As far as Jesus being a living reality.....this appears to be an individual faith-experience. It does all fall back on belief/faith/trust.
Whether we can find objective substancial evidence that Jesus was a real historical figure...does not appear to effect faith in him....as he can still inspire as a 'mythological Christ'....on a subjective level. For some however.....historical proof is required.....to others it is not more important than the mythos of the Christ....that serves to inspire, illumine and teach allegorical truths.

One must also research whether he himself believes in Jesus because he was taught to as a cultural/religious conditioning - this also includes worship of scripture as being 'true'(which includes all its 'stories'). What if the meaning and value we place on these is self-imposed? Lots to explore here.

With faith there is only the substance of what is hoped for.....that being the evidence of a potential/actual reality that is invisible. Faith calls one to move beyond the sense(even intellectual) realm and seize/apprehend a spirit-reality/dimension of being. A person who says, 'Jesus is real to me' is speaking either by belief, experience or both...but its confirmation is always subjective based upon indidivual belief.

One may want to consider what has conditioned your teachers 'beliefs' and makes them different from your 'beliefs'(research the conditionings). Asides from any obejective historical evidence.....we are stark naked only with our beliefs/values/experience.

paul

This is the problem he had no belief system.

he only goes by the knowing system and facts and proofs.

he mention about knowing is better than believing, and if you know something there is no need for believing.

what do you think about that?

c.moore

Originally posted by granite1010

Moore,

There is no archeological evidence that I'm aware of "proving" Christ's existence. The jury's still out when it comes to the Jesus Box and Turin Shroud. Josephus's references to Jesus are suspected by some to be Christian additions. When the experts disagree, and they always disagree, you're right back where you started.

Proof is, of course, not necessary to be a Christian.

No archeological evidence ???

so the teacher is again correct??

No historic history proving he existed either??

Aagin the teacher is correct???

What up here???:confused: :think:

Mustard Seed

Re: Re: proof tasking......

Re: Re: proof tasking......

Originally posted by c.moore

This is the problem he had no belief system.

he only goes by the knowing system and facts and proofs.

he mention about knowing is better than believing, and if you know something there is no need for believing.

what do you think about that?

Everyone has a belief system whether or not they conceed such. The very foundations of any real applications of science or reason demands assumptions be made concerning the systems which are being analyzed.

Every scientist, philosopher etc. that makes any progress does so by making many assumptions about the system they are in. The primary difference I see is that those in the realm of recognized faith generaly are more apt to recognize the dogmas on which their beliefs rest. Dogmas are intrinsic to every system of analyzing the world even if it claims the objectivity some of those systems do.

Mustard Seed

Originally posted by c.moore

No archeological evidence ???

so the teacher is again correct??

No historic history proving he existed either??

Aagin the teacher is correct???

What up here???:confused: :think:

There is evidence (refering here to emperical evidence, that which can be measured in a scientific materical way) that Christ lived. However such 'evidence' for the truthfulness of his claims on the playing field that the mythology teacher is suggesting doesn't exist. That's part of the problem is that the 'teacher' is basing their conclusions only on the empirical/quantifiable evidence. There is not (to my knowledge anyway) any such evidence that can be presented. You cannot have a test for the existence of God that will ever stand up to those standards because God's nature surpasses that which is quantifiable and conceivable on the level we are at in our present state.

God can talk to us but there is no way that we can prove that such has occured to others (at least not presently) any and all points we try and present as evidence can be dismissed on the basis that the person we are trying to convince simply will not see any of it as evidence of what we propose.

Mustard Seed

There is no PROOF for global warming.

There is no PROOF that DDT was ever thinning eggshells.

c.moore most things do not have proof. Proof is relative to the individual receiving the information. If you have been convinced of something, regardless of whether or not it is true, you have had it, for the time, proven to you. We decide what is and is not proof for us. If you have some one who is convinced that they are, like in the popular movie the Matrix, traped inside some all encompasing computer simulation, no amount of proof is going to disuade them from their belief if they are not going to allow such.